How Does It Do On Interstate - Page 3 - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

6Likes

post #21 of 32 Old 05-31-2016, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
https://www.facebook.com/uk1n1na177/...3966688566998/

Forget the interstate. Take it to the back roads where the R3 shines. BTW, we're both on 87 octane here. There is no advantage for premium gas for anything on the R3 unless you tuned the motor for premium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 Old 05-31-2016, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobRider View Post
i think this subject has been beaten to death and the conclusion is there is really NO real advantage to running 91 over 87.
Well, that's what you get for thinking.

There is an advantage. Running premium fuel is insurance against detonation/pre-ignition.
Especially in hot weather climates, which some of us happen to live in.

One less trip to Starbucks a month, should cover the cost difference for ya.

2015 Yamaha R3 (Blue/Silver)
2012 Honda CBR1000RR (HRC Edition)
post #23 of 32 Old 05-31-2016, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Gooonnnnaaa have to agree to disagree on this one. I've got a 600cc bike these days, but I still use my r3 to commute on socal freeways every day - two times a day minimum. Unless you're a pretty heavy rider the r3 still has enough to get up and go faster than traffic. It doesn't take much really...

Is it as fun as a 600cc ? No... but lets be 100% clear. If you're the kind of Ahole that spends every second of every commute lane splitting at 80mph... you're kind of a lost cause anyway. I lane split quite a bit because I'm very impatient and have yet to get into a situation where the r3 couldn't pull me out - and often as socal guys know you find yourself riding in a little lane splitting group of a mismatch of cruisers, supersports, etc.. never had an issue being on the r3.

Not that I'm saying wow the r3 is so powerful and wonderful. It isn't.. it's f'in tiny. But it is more than enough for daily commuting that is for **** sure...Even with g/f on the back I don't go much slower. To me the 60+ MPG is certainly very attractive...

Rattling??? Jesus... what is going on with your bike?

Just my two cents.

Quote:
not to start a thread war lol but i think this subject has been beaten to death and the conclusion is there is really NO real advantage to running 91 over 87.

As to the actual ? I would say while the bike has no problem running to 80/85 it is not ideal if you ride on interstate everyday. Best bet is a 600 class if you spend most of your time between 75-85.

My concorn is not so much top end speed or cruising but the powerband. The R3 obviously takes much longer (and more rattling) to go from say 70 - 85 mph (for passing) than say a r6 etc.

post #24 of 32 Old 05-31-2016, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRpilot View Post
Well, that's what you get for thinking.

There is an advantage. Running premium fuel is insurance against detonation/pre-ignition.
Especially in hot weather climates, which some of us happen to live in.

One less trip to Starbucks a month, should cover the cost difference for ya.
You're not going to get pre-ignition with 87. What does the owners manual say to run? 87 right? Then that's all the engine needs, in ANY climate.

The fact that you think that detonation or pre-ignition has to do with temp really says all that needs to be said about your credibility.

If your engine is getting so hot your fuel-air mixture is igniting uncontrollably you might want to look at your thermostat, not your octane rating! LOL
post #25 of 32 Old 06-01-2016, 04:01 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Garage
Wow dude, you really told me good. I guess I'm just stupid.
One day, when I grow up, maybe i'll be as smart as you.
You don't get headaches from knowing everything?
You better be careful, if the government finds out you know everything,
the CIA might kidnap you, and take you to a secret underground military base.
But hey... i guess you already knew that, huh.

2015 Yamaha R3 (Blue/Silver)
2012 Honda CBR1000RR (HRC Edition)
post #26 of 32 Old 06-01-2016, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maven View Post
Gooonnnnaaa have to agree to disagree on this one. I've got a 600cc bike these days, but I still use my r3 to commute on socal freeways every day - two times a day minimum. Unless you're a pretty heavy rider the r3 still has enough to get up and go faster than traffic. It doesn't take much really...

Is it as fun as a 600cc ? No... but lets be 100% clear. If you're the kind of Ahole that spends every second of every commute lane splitting at 80mph... you're kind of a lost cause anyway. I lane split quite a bit because I'm very impatient and have yet to get into a situation where the r3 couldn't pull me out - and often as socal guys know you find yourself riding in a little lane splitting group of a mismatch of cruisers, supersports, etc.. never had an issue being on the r3.

Not that I'm saying wow the r3 is so powerful and wonderful. It isn't.. it's f'in tiny. But it is more than enough for daily commuting that is for **** sure...Even with g/f on the back I don't go much slower. To me the 60+ MPG is certainly very attractive...

Rattling??? Jesus... what is going on with your bike?

Just my two cents.
You have more fun on the 600? Obviously everyone has a different opinion on what fun is but most people including myself tend to think the smaller bike is more fun. Would love to hear why the bigger 600 is more fun for you.
post #27 of 32 Old 06-01-2016, 10:30 AM

Cuz it sounds cooler hahahaha

R3 is wicked fun. There is definitely something incredibly satisfying about beating the snot out of a little engine... and all the shifting that goes along with the R3.

That being said. Life is about variety, right? Sometimes it is just fun to have more power than ya need and not have to shift all the **** time!

I'm sure if I rode the 600 daily instead of the 300 I'd be here preaching that the 300 is so much more fun...

What is they say about the grass being greener in that jerk neighbor's yard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojiiro View Post
You have more fun on the 600? Obviously everyone has a different opinion on what fun is but most people including myself tend to think the smaller bike is more fun. Would love to hear why the bigger 600 is more fun for you.
post #28 of 32 Old 06-01-2016, 10:39 AM

Alright.. I'll be the jerk here...

I agree and this has been beaten to the ground enough times.. but I'm bored and it is early in the morning still..

87 is fine for the R3.

But yes you can pre-ignite on 87... because pre-ignition and detonation are two related by separate things, and you seem to be talking about detonation below <?>

Pre-ignition could happen due to carbon deposits, burnt valve ... failing crappy spark plug that has a tip that is glowing...etc. Any engine can pre-ignite on 87 if there is something to cause the ignition to happen before spark plug firing.

Detonation on the other hand.... well i can talk for days about detonation.... but you're right.. not likely on 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR3 View Post
You're not going to get pre-ignition with 87. Wes the owners manual say to run? 87 right? Then that's all the engine needs, in ANY climate.

The fact that you think that detonation or pre-ignition has to do with temp really says all that needs to be said about your credibility.

If your engine is getting so hot your fuel-air mixture is igniting uncontrollably you might want to look at your thermostat, not your octane rating! LOL
post #29 of 32 Old 06-01-2016, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I don't know about So Cal but here most everyone do 75-80 on the freeway. R3 for me is about agility and twisties and having fun with it. At 80 MPH the powerband of the r3 loses it's power advantage over above avg cars like even a 3 series or the Honda Accord sport. I don't know what you mean by lane splitting I'm just talking about commuting everyday on hwy with cagers going 75-80.
post #30 of 32 Old 06-01-2016, 12:02 PM

I guess I'm generally confused by your statement<?> The powerband of the stock R3 doesn't really see any decline until something like 10,800rpm, and even then... it isn't a sharp drop. If you'e cruising down the highway on the R3 doing 75-85 (which is typical here in SoCal) you're quite within the "power band" for the R3. If one needed even more power, shifting down to 5 would get the RPMs up to pretty much the peak of HP. Not sure about 'power advantage over above ave cars'....it really comes down to power vs weight.. the R3 isn't exactly high horsepower. I think a Geo Metro might make more (I jest) ... But the R3 is rather light by comparison.

Lane splitting is the act of sharing lanes with cars. It is legal in california. If traffic is slow I don't have to wait behind the cagers, I can simply go between lanes at a faster pace.

Quote:
I don't know about So Cal but here most everyone do 75-80 on the freeway. R3 for me is about agility and twisties and having fun with it. At 80 MPH the powerband of the r3 loses it's power advantage over above avg cars like even a 3 series or the Honda Accord sport. I don't know what you mean by lane splitting I'm just talking about commuting everyday on hwy with cagers going 75-80.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page