How Does It Do On Interstate - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

6Likes

post #1 of 32 Old 05-28-2016, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How Does It Do On Interstate

My beautiful 2016 matte gray R3 will be here end of next week. I'm already set on getting it but can anyone personally attest to being able to run 80-85 on the interstate without a problem? i have already seen millions of videos on how they do at highway speeds (65-70) but has anyone taken any extended trips on the road at 80+ mph?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-28-2016, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
It'll be fine. Just wear ear plugs and tuck in so you don't lose your hearing.

Standard rural autoroute speed for me is 130km/h (81mph)
Suburban autoroute speed is 120km/h (74mph)
I have ridden secteurs of autoroutes where I do not impose a limit. Brought the bike up to and held 150km/h (93mph) @ 9.750 u/min.

In all cases, plenty of reserve even in 6th. Just consider always your surroundings and look ahead so you don't get yourself into awkward situations with other trucks and vehicles.

ø consumption:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 Old 05-28-2016, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Garage
I bought my R3 new from a dealer in another state. I rode it home from the dealer. 3-hour ride.
I kept it between 65 and 75mph the whole way. It did fine.
Just understand, this bike is pretty much tapped-out at freeway speeds.
It will do 100mph, but it's at the top of the RPM range.

If I was buying a bike to specifically run on the freeway everyday.... it wouldn't be an R3.

2015 Yamaha R3 (Blue/Silver)
2012 Honda CBR1000RR (HRC Edition)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 05-28-2016, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I currently have 4,000 miles on my R3, I'd say at least 2,000 of those on freeways in Southern California. It does just fine doing consistent 65-85 mph at the flow of traffic and it will do faster if need be, but you'll be wringing it out. Do yourself a favor and wear earplugs and if you're taller, you're going to want a aftermarket windscreen. It's not ideal for everyday freeway riding, but the R3 will do it's job. I also did ~ 2 hour trip to and 2 hours back from San Diego to LA and staying at 80+, the bike can handle it, it's more of the rider who can not. I just had a sore wrist.
Kojiiro and enCee like this.
post #5 of 32 Old 05-29-2016, 02:12 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDakR3 View Post
i have already seen millions of videos on how they do at highway speeds (65-70) but has anyone taken any extended trips on the road at 80+ mph?
Worlds better than a carb 250cc. Not as authoritative as 650cc twin. My R3 seems topped out at top of 5th around 103-104 mph, shifting to 6th got me no extra speed (but I didn't tuck and there was a stiff head wind too, possibly a slight incline). 65-85 is fine, but as previous poster said, maybe not the best bike for long extended trips, depends on what you mean by that, and your iron butt rating. I've not gone more than 250-300 miles in a single day.

Last edited by xorbe; 05-29-2016 at 02:17 AM.
post #6 of 32 Old 05-29-2016, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
no im talking about an hour long one way trip maybe a couple times a month. nothing real extended but im just making sure that if i want to jump on the interstate for an hour to get where i want to go that i can without worrying that im going to hurt the bike.
post #7 of 32 Old 05-29-2016, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
I commuted in San Diego traffic with it while I owned it and it does 85 fine. That's normal crusing speed regardless of what bike I am on. The bike will still be able to accelerate past 85. I am not sure why people say it is tapped it at highway/freeway speeds when there are plenty of videos not to mention forum posts of their bike doing over 100, cruising over 85 with more to go, etc. Twist your wrist more and the bike will go past 85. It isn't tapped out at 85. That said, if you have ever owned something bigger, then just understand that it won't accelerate like a rocket past 85ish. It's not like a super sport which at that speed is just about hitting its powerband and really starting to feel like a rocket.
post #8 of 32 Old 05-29-2016, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
I commute 35 miles each way on toll roads at 75-85 every day. It's stable, I can pass easily enough, and the bike doesn't feel too strung out. It does start to struggle above 90 though, but I didn't buy this bike to race around in the triple digits.
post #9 of 32 Old 05-30-2016, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Got 10k on mine, most of it southern california freeway riding as it is my daily commuter and main form of transportation in general. 75mph to 85mph is about the "normal" for a San Diego freeway... seems to do it without complaining. Will easily do 100+ with just me on the bike on the way to work and back. Put someone else on the back and ehhh... it'll get there.. just takes a bit.

If you're just commuting.. it is fantastic. If you wanna be doing 80mph and accelerate to 120 at the drop of a hat? Forget it...get a 600 or bigger..
post #10 of 32 Old 05-30-2016, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
I don't ride much on the highway but whenever I do I never enjoy it, the bike doesn't feel stable for me, too much shaking at 120km/h, this is my first bike and I'm happy I didn't buy it to commute on a daily basis on a highway.
I took a CBR650F on a test drive few days ago, totally different, stable and cuts through the wind with ease.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page