Did you get sick of your R3 - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

84Likes

post #1 of 148 Old 06-01-2016, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Did you get sick of your R3

About to purchase my first motorcycle and Im going with the R3 in blue brand new 2016. Do you guys still get a rush on the bike? Or are you sick of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 148 Old 06-01-2016, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Personally speaking, not at all. But this is my first venture into bike life. So I think the learning is what is keeping me very much into it. I'm about 1000 miles in and plenty more riding before I see myself giving up this bike to upgrade (which is the plan). I'd say weight it out in terms of what are your upgrade plans, learning, etc. But all in all I think the R3 will keep you interested for a while.
post #3 of 148 Old 06-01-2016, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I like mine but it's going to be strictly a track bike so not much of a chance of me getting sick of it.

post #4 of 148 Old 06-01-2016, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Garage
I picked the R3 for the looks, value and great feedback in current user reviews. I wanted something small, fuel efficient and something that wouldn't break the bank (purchase, maintenance, insurance, mods, etc).
I've owned bikes before but it's been 20 years since my last and now that I'm a bit older and slightly more responsible, , the R3 fits my needs. I use it for an occasional commute to work (it's a 1.5 hour ride on back roads with the bike) and for just tooling around town when I have some time to kill.

Part of me can envision upgrading but when I give it any serious thought, I'm quickly reminding myself why I chose the R3 to begin with. It depends on why you are buying it. If it's merely an entry to bikes for you, you may end up upgrading down the road once you've built some skills and confidence. On the other hand, if you see certain aspects of the R3 and appreciate it for what it is, I don't see anyone really growing bored of it.

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Lightech Rear Turns, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 148 Old 06-01-2016, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
This is my second bike, after 3 years and 30k miles on my first. I've got 4000 miles in 2 months on the r3 and still look forward to taking it out every time I can. It's fast enough, a blast in the corners, and an economical commuter. Everything I wanted out of it.

It won't be my last bike, but I don't know what direction my next will be. If I can add a second bike, I'll be keeping the 3 for a long time. If I'm still stuck to one bike, I just don't know. I've got a lot of bikes on my wish list, and they keep coming out with bikes that are even better. Ita a good time to be a rider (other than all these **** electronic aids and nannies)
post #6 of 148 Old 06-01-2016, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage
I've been thinking about this more and more lately. I love the R3. Nimble, perfect for my commute and my needs in general, and cheap on insurance. Not going to lie though, recently I'm just wishing for a little more. I think its because I'm currently at home for the summer, and I take the train to Chicago every morning. At school during the year, I'm commuting 10-20 miles a day. The R3 is perfect for that, but being a weekend warrior for the summer is making me wish for a little bit more out of the little time I get to spend on the bike. It also doesn't help that there are a billion supersports zipping around. Hearing that inline 4 exhaust makes my heart throb, lol.

Its funny though, as much as I want something more, I'm extremely hesitant to upgrade. Deep down I know that the R3 is perfect for my needs, at least right now. There is a fantastic deal on an '07 Daytona 675 near me that I am itching to pull the trigger on. Trouble is, I know I don't need it, I'nervous about having such an absurd amount of power (though confident enough in myself that I can handle it responsibly and safely), and I don't want to spend $800+ annually on insurance, lol. I'm genuinely stuck and can't make up my mind!!

Ultimately, I think my answer is that I am not really sick of riding the R3, but sometimes I want to ride something else. The real solution is owning two bikes, but that isn't feasible for me right now. So at the end of the day I either take a step back and keep enjoying what I love about the R3 or bite the bullet, buy a bigger bike and accept some of the negative aspects I am feeling with regard to that.

In terms of whether you will be sick of the R3, well, only you can answer that! It will depend on what you want out of the bike. The R3 is really great at fulfilling certain needs, but if you ever want more power/torque and the experience/sensations those come with, there is only so much tithe R3 can give.

edit: I should also note that the R3 is a fantastic beginner bike, the BEST of the 300 class IMO. The only reason I wouldn't recommend starting on an R3 is if you are 100% sure you will upgrade after a year or so. If that is the case, I would only get an R3 if it was used. If you know you want a bigger bike form the get go then get a used Ninja 300, CBR 300/500 or used R3, save some cash, learn, and then sell that. I'm still fine with the fact that I bought new, but if I upgrade and sell it I know I'd have basically "wasted" at least $1k to ride the R3 rather than get a used Ninja for much cheaper.

Also, per my thoughts on upgrading, I WANT to upgrade, but I by no means think that I have outgrown the R3 skill-wise. I have learned a ton on it over the last 3k miles and feel confident/responsible enough to jump up to a 600, but I know I could till hone my skills much further on the R3 (and likely will!)
SharperB likes this.

Last edited by vercify; 06-01-2016 at 09:25 PM.
post #7 of 148 Old 06-01-2016, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
First, I think you can't go wrong with the R3 as a first bike. It's got enough power to have you carving the canyons and pass cars on freeways as you learn how to make use of the powerband. At the same time, it won't get away from you when you go WOT (wide open throttle) as you will in less than ideal conditions...we all have at some point,it's just part of the learning curve.

As far of getting sick of or outgrowing the R3, your desire for more power will grow faster than your skills to handle said power. This is why these bikes are so great they allow you to work on the skills you'll need when you make that step up to the 600cc class. I owned a 600 gsxr years ago,and while the R3 is no match in power, it is just as fun to ride.
matrix22 and mkotich like this.
post #8 of 148 Old 06-01-2016, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
This is my 10th bike, second slowest of the 10 (owned a Grom for a year - there is not much slower than a Grom). Most of my riding is between 30 and 70 mph, so the R3 is perfect. I have a 150 mile road ride that I like to do on weekends and the R3 is as fun as any bike I've owned. Was a little skeptical when I bought it, but no regrets at all.

2016 Yamaha R3 (Race bike #1)
2015 Yamaha R3 (Race bike #2)
2014 Triumph Street Triple R (CA street bike)
2013 Suzuki GSXR600 (CA track bike)
post #9 of 148 Old 06-01-2016, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
It is a good beginner bike but it all depends on a few things. 1, do you have friends that also ride? If you do and they have 600 750 and 1000's then u will quickly get bored with the r3 and want to upgrade. 2, if u want to experience what its like to have unbelievable power at your fingertips and love speed then again you will want to upgrade as soon as your comforitable with the basics of riding. If you just like the economical part then this bike will be perfect but for me I never bought a bike and cared about the mpg. With all that said Im in no way putting this bike down, I think its the best at what it does no doubt.
post #10 of 148 Old 06-02-2016, 02:07 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesonvirus View Post
it depends on why you are buying it. If it's merely an entry to bikes for you, you may end up upgrading down the road once you've built some skills and confidence. On the other hand, if you see certain aspects of the r3 and appreciate it for what it is, i don't see anyone really growing bored of it.
This pretty much sums it up right here. ^ ^ ^
squirdle and matrix22 like this.

2015 Yamaha R3 (Blue/Silver)
2012 Honda CBR1000RR (HRC Edition)

Last edited by CBRpilot; 06-02-2016 at 02:09 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page