• 2 Post By AesonVirus
  • 1 Post By Capn Kirk

post #1 of 10 Old 06-12-2016, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Question No display when turning ignition key on

Hi,
When I put the key in and turn the ignition on, the display goes off and I have to wiggle the handle bar or turn the ignition on/off again and again for it to work. Then only I can start the bike.

I had taken this video below several months ago. I showed it to SVC at that time, they checked everything but couldn't find any issues. They cleaned and greased things and checked fuses. Anyway it didnt happen until last day or two. This time it is not severe as the below. Just wiggling the handle bar worked this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZWMbrPXmEY

This time it only happened once or twice and didn't think it was reoccurring.

One of my friend says, the issue lies in the power switch's end connection (attached), it has to be unplugged and clean if needed and plug it back.

Any idea on this issue?
Attached Images

Last edited by Yamaha-R3; 06-12-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-12-2016, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Garage
It appears that the problem only begins when you hit the starter button. Is this correct?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Want to be added?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gear Up & Ride Safe!
post #3 of 10 Old 06-12-2016, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
First thing I would suspect is just a loose connection. Wiggling things and having them work usually points to that.

post #4 of 10 Old 06-12-2016, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
My guess would be a possible faulty battery or fuse. I watched the video and realize that your display goes off when you try to press the ignition switch. Ignition usually draws a larger current (compared to other components of the bike). My second guess would be what Louie Franco mentioned, a loose connection.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-13-2016, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Something critical is losing power when you punch the starter button. Step one, check that battery terminals are tightened down.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-13-2016, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
It appears that the problem only begins when you hit the starter button. Is this correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjyong View Post
My guess would be a possible faulty battery or fuse. I watched the video and realize that your display goes off when you try to press the ignition switch. Ignition usually draws a larger current (compared to other components of the bike). My second guess would be what Louie Franco mentioned, a loose connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
Something critical is losing power when you punch the starter button. Step one, check that battery terminals are tightened down.
The issue in the video happened several months ago. Service center checked fuses and battery connections, couldn't find anything but this never happened.

Last day I rode the bike for sometime, halted at a beach. When i tried to turn on the bike for going back, the display didn't come on after turning the ignition. Then I wiggled the handlebar and turned the key two three times and it came back on. This happened twice whenever I halted somewhere and tried to start again.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-13-2016, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like you're able to duplicate the problem much easier now.
I'd take it back and have them look at it again.
Yamaha-R3 and Decon blue like this.

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Lightech Rear Turns, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

post #8 of 10 Old 06-13-2016, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha-R3 View Post
Last day I rode the bike for sometime, halted at a beach. When i tried to turn on the bike for going back, the display didn't come on after turning the ignition. Then I wiggled the handlebar and turned the key two three times and it came back on. This happened twice whenever I halted somewhere and tried to start again.
To really find out the source, you need to do only one thing at a time.... Begin with the ignition switch (do not move the bars). If you turn the key 30 times and it never comes on, you know the switch itself is not the problem.

Then, turn the key on and reach below the ignition switch (below the key) and wiggle that wire harness. If it comes on, you found the problem!

My suspicions are in/near the wire harness that is connected to the key switch.

Does the bike ever power off while underway? If you start the bike and move the bars full left/right, does the dash ever go out?
AesonVirus likes this.

Want to be added?

Gear Up & Ride Safe!
post #9 of 10 Old 06-13-2016, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
To really find out the source, you need to do only one thing at a time.... Begin with the ignition switch (do not move the bars). If you turn the key 30 times and it never comes on, you know the switch itself is not the problem.

Then, turn the key on and reach below the ignition switch (below the key) and wiggle that wire harness. If it comes on, you found the problem!

My suspicions are in/near the wire harness that is connected to the key switch.

Does the bike ever power off while underway? If you start the bike and move the bars full left/right, does the dash ever go out?
I will try to isolate the issue, thank you for the pointers.
This issue never happens when it is running.
I'm wondering if washing the bike and water entering somewhere causing the problem. Although I don't have pressure wash.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 10 Old 07-30-2016, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Ok I'm sorry I'm late to the game on this one. I just saw this from a link in another thread. I can tell you exactly what's causing this, low voltage. My Majesty does the same thing if the battery is weak. What's happening is when you hit the starter the solenoid is making contact and the starter is drawing so much amperage that the battery voltage is dropping below that required to keep the display on.

I'd try another battery, chances are that will fix the problem. Or charge the one you have. You can see if thats the problem by throwing some jumper cables on it from a car battery. If it still does it then its bad connections to your own battery. If it doesn't, its low voltage.

Last edited by YamahaR3; 07-30-2016 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page