How safe are Flush Mount turn signals? - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

10Likes

post #1 of 25 Old 06-17-2016, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How safe are Flush Mount turn signals?

I just installed tst flush mount front turn signals and they look very well.. but are pretty close to the body and hard to see. My number one concern is my safety and I'm just wondering how safe are front flush turn signals compared to the stock signals? Will cars be able to see me clearly? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-17-2016, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
No one can see flush mount signals. It's not safe at all. Even at night they're hard to see. During the day it's useless. Stock signals are the best.
Goalier95 and Gizmo like this.
post #3 of 25 Old 06-17-2016, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
If safety is your number one concern, you would retain the stock orange pumpkin signals. They are the most visible signal I've seen around.

I own a kawasaki. Kawasaki oem signals are hard to see. I have expensive (100 bucks a piece) italian LED signals on another bike which are eye-blinding inside the garage. They are hard to see in sunlight. I have ridden behind all my bikes operated by other users. The only signal I can see every. single. time. during daytime/sunlight through my peripheral vision (ie., I'm not staring at the signals) is the stock yamaha signals.

Flush mounts are probably the worst, hardest to see signals around. Do yourself a favor. In sunlight, turn on your bike, turn on your signals, walk 100 feet away and see how well you can see the signals. Yeah, and now imagine you are in a car and not staring directly at a bike's signals. Might as well buy 50 dollar pieces of jolly ranchers candy and super glue them in place where the signals are. They might almost be as effective as flush mounts.

If safety is priority, you will retain the stock signals. That said, no one really cares about signal safety in their tier of priorities. Most if not all sportbike owners care more about looks than safety. Do whatever you want.

Telling you what you don't want to hear even though deep down you know I'm right.

Last edited by Jay Joe; 06-17-2016 at 01:20 PM.

post #4 of 25 Old 06-17-2016, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Garage
Never had a problem with the watsen design flush mounts. Just as bright if not brighter then stock

Gizmo and Decon blue like this.

Vagabond FE, Watson design flush mount signals, Rizoma action led rear signals, factory solo cowl.
post #5 of 25 Old 06-17-2016, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Third party LED lights in general can be sketchy. The cheap lighting units will often use too few LED's so the actual brightness will be far lower then the stock signal. I noticed this over the weekend when I was following two other riders and I could easily see the first rider signaling about 50ft in front of me, but signals of the closer rider w/ LED's were near impossible to see in the sun.

Seriously, if you're worried about safety and install aftermarket LED signals, turn them on and walk away from your bike. If you have a hard time seeing them when you're specifically looking for them, a car will have an even harder time.

Yes the stock signals are bulky, but i feel much better having them on as running lights vs some tiny LED flush mounts that look good but are useless.
post #6 of 25 Old 06-17-2016, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
LEDs are extremely bright... in the garage or overcast skies or dusk/dawn. They really suck balls in sunlight (that video you posted is a prime example... that wasn't no sunlight, son. Speaking of which, you ever seem to notice everyone who posts vids of their LED signals always do it inside the garage or during dusk or similar conditions? They never do it out in the bright sunlight... wonder why... must have something to do with it not being all that impressive and dim in the sunlight. Hmmm...). I mean, if you never ride out during sunlight conditions, then you're good (lol). Unfortunately while you are on your bike, you can never tell for sure. I went a whole 2 years of thinking nothing of it until a buddy of mine got on my bike and I followed him to be completely shocked at how barely visible 200 dollar (for a pair) LED signals are in the daylight.

But don't take my word for it. Its your own hide, you ride however you want to ride. And I know most of you are more concerned about looking cool than being hit by a car.

Truthfully, I don't think front signals really matter in general which is where all the flush mounts are mounted. Your biggest safety concern should come from your rear signals. I would be more concerned for the car coming up behind you more than anything.

Telling you what you don't want to hear even though deep down you know I'm right.

Last edited by Jay Joe; 06-17-2016 at 05:55 PM.
post #7 of 25 Old 06-17-2016, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
This is the reason I elected to go with the Yamaha Blinker Plus LED setup front and rear. Look it up - they are awesome (but pricey) and very very visible front and rear.
post #8 of 25 Old 06-17-2016, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Each is own. I will post a video in the full sun when you I get a chance. Over the years I had them on my R1 I could tell all the camera knew my intention with turning.

Vagabond FE, Watson design flush mount signals, Rizoma action led rear signals, factory solo cowl.
post #9 of 25 Old 06-17-2016, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdaman View Post
Never had a problem with the watsen design flush mounts. Just as bright if not brighter then stock

These are sexy as ****!! I've never seen any like it.
post #10 of 25 Old 06-17-2016, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you're main concern is safety, wear all the gear all the time, take the MSF beginner class, ride a few months then take the confident rider class. Ride sober, smart, defensive and within your skill level. While the stock signals are more visible, I would not wory about switching to the TST flushmounts.

But, what do I know. Only been riding for 20 years

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page