Rude Dealership regarding Recall - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

46Likes

post #1 of 61 Old 07-12-2016, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Thumbs down Rude Dealership regarding Recall

So I woke up super early to call Berkeley Yamaha (the place i bought my bike from) about the recall for our bikes and after being tossed around 3 different departments, a guy finally answers me and asks me what i want. Previous guy from parts told me i need to give them my VIN to run to check if my bike is on the list (why? I already stated i received a recall for MY bike).

Told the guy on the phone i was told to give him my vin to run a check and he gives me an attitude saying "we dont need that, when do u want to come in?" I proceed to tell him i can only come in on saturdays and told him i heard it only takes 2hrs to get it done and he tells me "no it doesnt take 2hrs u drop it off and u pick it up in the afternoon i cant tell u when the job gets done" ok fair enough i say.. But i tell him i work graveyards so it will be hard to come in that early and he proceeds to raise his voice at me stating "what do YOU want to do then?" I tell him i will just try to come in when they open and he doesnt even ask me what make or model my bike is or why i called lol (i was transferred to him). All he says was "good see u then." Crazy how rude this dealership is now that im not buying a bike but trying to get **** fixed. Makes me wonder if they even have the parts for my bike to fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 07-12-2016, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbez View Post
So I woke up super early to call Berkeley Yamaha (the place i bought my bike from) about the recall for our bikes and after being tossed around 3 different departments, a guy finally answers me and asks me what i want. Previous guy from parts told me i need to give them my VIN to run to check if my bike is on the list (why? I already stated i received a recall for MY bike).

Told the guy on the phone i was told to give him my vin to run a check and he gives me an attitude saying "we dont need that, when do u want to come in?" I proceed to tell him i can only come in on saturdays and told him i heard it only takes 2hrs to get it done and he tells me "no it doesnt take 2hrs u drop it off and u pick it up in the afternoon i cant tell u when the job gets done" ok fair enough i say.. But i tell him i work graveyards so it will be hard to come in that early and he proceeds to raise his voice at me stating "what do YOU want to do then?" I tell him i will just try to come in when they open and he doesnt even ask me what make or model my bike is or why i called lol (i was transferred to him). All he says was "good see u then." Crazy how rude this dealership is now that im not buying a bike but trying to get **** fixed. Makes me wonder if they even have the parts for my bike to fix.
So funnily enough I just got my recall letter in the mail yesterday and was about to call these guys up since they're the closest Yamaha dealership near me, but I guess I'll have to rethink that plan haha.
post #3 of 61 Old 07-12-2016, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Garage
Don't call them on the phone and demand sh1t. Nobody likes it when customers do that.
Go down there in person, and talk face-to-face with the service guys. Take your recall letter with you, if you have it.
If you don't have your letter yet, print-out the recall notice from the Yamaha website, and write your VIN number and contact info on it.
Have something in your hand to SHOW them. ASK them when they will have your recall parts kit in-stock, and when they would like
you to drop your bike off. ASK them how long they would like to have the bike for. A couple of days maybe? A week?
Don't demand sh1t, and expect them to work around YOUR life. They are fixing it for FREE, and you are not their only customer.
I ran a shop for years, and nobody who runs a shop appreciates a$$hole customers. You work with them, and they will try to work with you.
It's a two-way street. And if you are in the USA.... don't expect a LOANER BIKE.
In the USA, a motorcycle is not a "necessary transportation" vehicle. In the USA, a "motorcycle" is a RECREATIONAL / SPORT vehicle.
You should have a car, or truck, or some other means of transpo. Most people in the USA do not have a "motorcycle" as their only means
of transportation. If the dealer offers you a LOANER bike while your R3 is in the shop getting the recall done, consider it a rare GIFT.
Aufitt likes this.

2015 Yamaha R3 (Blue/Silver)
2012 Honda CBR1000RR (HRC Edition)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 Old 07-12-2016, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRpilot View Post
Don't call them on the phone and demand sh1t. Nobody likes it when customers do that.
Go down there in person, and talk face-to-face with the service guys. Take your recall letter with you, if you have it.
If you don't have your letter yet, print-out the recall notice from the Yamaha website, and write your VIN number and contact info on it.
Have something in your hand to SHOW them. ASK them when they will have your recall parts kit in-stock, and when they would like
you to drop your bike off. ASK them how long they would like to have the bike for. A couple of days maybe? A week?
Don't demand sh1t, and expect them to work around YOUR life. They are fixing it for FREE, and you are not their only customer.
I ran a shop for years, and nobody who runs a shop appreciates a$$hole customers. You work with them, and they will try to work with you.
It's a two-way street. And if you are in the USA.... don't expect a LOANER BIKE.
In the USA, a motorcycle is not a "necessary transportation" vehicle. In the USA, a "motorcycle" is a RECREATIONAL / SPORT vehicle.
You should have a car, or truck, or some other means of transpo. Most people in the USA do not have a "motorcycle" as their only means
of transportation. If the dealer offers you a LOANER bike while your R3 is in the shop getting the recall done, consider it a rare GIFT.
I wasnt demanding anything. I was simply calling to request an appointment for my recall and at no point was I rude to them. It sounded like the rep who was talking to me woke up on the wrong side of the bed or something. He barely let me finish my sentences and constantly gave me attitude, but yet a few months ago when i was trying to purchase the bike they sounded oh so nice.. go figure. And I dont have the convenience to just walk into the dealership because the nearest one is 20 miles from me and is across the bay, which costs toll too. Not to mention I work graveyards so its hard to wake up when they are open in the first place.
mikiee, Hory_Mory and TMD5855 like this.
post #5 of 61 Old 07-12-2016, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
CBRpilot I did not realize I had to kiss the dealers arse to get a manufacturing defect corrected. A recall is a manufactures problem, you should be able to call the dealer and give him your vin and he should be able to tell you if it required. It did not look like the author of this thread demanded anything, Hobbez I would just ignore Cbrpilots remarks.
rito, vinod kannan, Gizmo and 3 others like this.
post #6 of 61 Old 07-12-2016, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Oh the inconvenience!!!
all that time on the phone and possibly a day without your bike
(My dealer is 500km away, trailering it there, 3 days away... no big deal, my engine is important for the next 30 yrs)

You're not exactly making things any easier.
and still you want them to work on a hot engine.... on a weekend.

Life isn't a race.
Lovenuts likes this.

I blame the Internet.
post #7 of 61 Old 07-12-2016, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Lets see if we can get 345,841 recall threads by Xmas :P
Ildottore46 likes this.

I blame the Internet.
post #8 of 61 Old 07-12-2016, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Garage
Part of a dealers job is customer service. That is doing what they can to make the customer happy. Hands down, this is sh1tty customer service. The dealer I am going to, which I didn't even buy my bike from, called me back, apologized for not getting back to me quicker. Then went on to state once they get the parts in they can have it done in the same day.

While we may not be paying the dealers for this service, Yamaha is. It isn't like the dealer isn't getting paid for doing this work. I would be especially pissed if I bought the bike from them. They should do whatever is in their power to get the job done for me so I keep coming back.
rito and badger like this.

Like me on Facebook at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 61 Old 07-13-2016, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
With the caveat that there are 2 sides to every story, the conversation Hobbez posted doesn't paint a picture of an unreasonable customer, but rather a lack of hospitality from the dealership. I hope I'm not alone in thinking it's still perfectly reasonable in today's society to use the telephone to square away logistics (e.g. confirming the recall, confirming the new parts are in stock, confirming a date/time that works for both parties) before visiting the dealership in person. While some people may have alternative modes of transportation that can trailer a motorcycle and can afford to take multiple days off to do so, should we assume everyone else in the world has the same luxuries?

Shifting gears here, the majority of manufacturer dealerships in the States (including this one in Berkeley), have completely federated departments, so it's not surprising you were transferred and may have had to repeat yourself or answer seemingly obvious questions based on what you said to the last person. The person from the service department isn't going to give one hoot about how nice the person from sales was when you bought your bike.
post #10 of 61 Old 07-13-2016, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
My bike is a Berkekey Honda Yamaha getting the recall done. I bought my bike from them and have had nothing but excellent, professional from their sales and service staff.

CJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page