• 1 Post By Decon blue
  • 2 Post By Decon blue

post #1 of 10 Old 08-17-2016, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Chain Maintenance

I live a long gravel/dirt road, about 1/2 mile long. Is there something I can keep on the chain that will repel or at least try to repel dirt and dust.
Thanks again guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-17-2016, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Garage
DuPont Chain Saver. Available at Walmart. Cleans, protects, lubricants.
Jinx likes this.

TST Undertail and Fender Eliminator kit, TST Flush Front Turn Signals, TST Intergrated Tail light, Fork Pre Load Adjusters, Rear Set Relocation Plates, CNC Mirror Block off plates, CRG Blindside mirror, R6 Throttle Tube, Full Arrow Stainless Steel Header with Arrow can, Adjustable Levers, OEM Cowl
post #3 of 10 Old 08-17-2016, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-17-2016, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
The only thing I'd recommend more routine chain maintenance, and if necessary using DuPont Degreaser and a grunge brush to clean the chain before lubing it. +1 to DuPont Chain Saver; you can buy all of this off Amazon, and it's the cheapest and most efficient way to maintain your chain. If you don't have a rear stand, get one as well since it makes chain maintenance much easier.

If you're looking for something beyond the norm, search for Scottoiler and other automatic motorcycle chain oilers. I don't hear of people mounting them on sportbikes, but you can easily find installations on the internet for dual-adventure and adventure-touring bikes to keep the chain relatively cleaner on those types of terrain.
Jinx likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-17-2016, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys!
post #6 of 10 Old 08-17-2016, 03:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post

I just gave $8.99 for large can at Walmart last weekend.

TST Undertail and Fender Eliminator kit, TST Flush Front Turn Signals, TST Intergrated Tail light, Fork Pre Load Adjusters, Rear Set Relocation Plates, CNC Mirror Block off plates, CRG Blindside mirror, R6 Throttle Tube, Full Arrow Stainless Steel Header with Arrow can, Adjustable Levers, OEM Cowl
post #7 of 10 Old 08-17-2016, 03:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
The only thing I'd recommend more routine chain maintenance, and if necessary using DuPont Degreaser and a grunge brush to clean the chain before lubing it. +1 to DuPont Chain Saver; you can buy all of this off Amazon, and it's the cheapest and most efficient way to maintain your chain. If you don't have a rear stand, get one as well since it makes chain maintenance much easier.

If you're looking for something beyond the norm, search for Scottoiler and other automatic motorcycle chain oilers. I don't hear of people mounting them on sportbikes, but you can easily find installations on the internet for dual-adventure and adventure-touring bikes to keep the chain relatively cleaner on those types of terrain.

No grunge brush for me, DuPont cleans as it lubes. If I use anything to clean its kerosene and a soft bristle paint brush. Orings are delicate so no grunge brush for me.
Gizmo likes this.

post #8 of 10 Old 08-17-2016, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon blue View Post
No grunge brush for me, DuPont cleans as it lubes. If I use anything to clean its kerosene and a soft bristle paint brush. Orings are delicate so no grunge brush for me.
Grunge brush advertises itself as o-ring safe, and enough people online have attested to it being compatible with o-ring chains that I trust it.

For the most part, DuPont Chain Saver does a good job of keeping the chain clean while lubing it, but it's still not as effective at cleaning as kerosene or DuPont Degreaser in my opinion. And while kerosene is cheaper and more readily available to purchase, the nice thing about DuPont Degreaser is that it comes in ready in a spray form, has a more pleasant smell, and is biodegradable so I don't worry if it gets on the floor, etc.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-17-2016, 06:18 PM

Garage
Each to his own, but I know my soft bristle paint brush will not tear up the orings and placing a old towel under chain on floor catches the excess kerosene. A gallon of Kerosene last me Mabee 12000-15000 miles and cost $5.00. Main thing though is proper chain maintence pays for itself in the long run.
Gizmo and Jinx like this.

post #10 of 10 Old 08-21-2016, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
I live a long gravel/dirt road, about 1/2 mile long. Is there something I can keep on the chain that will repel or at least try to repel dirt and dust.
Thanks again guys.
Peanut Butter seemed to work for me. use about a cup and keep on smearing it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page