Do you even lean? - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

26Likes

post #1 of 32 Old 08-18-2016, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Do you even lean?

Hey all! Given that the stock rearsets for the R3 is pretty low, and you're too broke to replace it with any aftermarket rearsets, how low can the bike lean before the rearset hits the ground make you fall? I am pretty worried about that everytime I lean..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 08-18-2016, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Stock rearsets fold in. You can grind them away without fear. Once something solid catches then you are in trouble. Kick stand, exhaust, etc.
post #3 of 32 Old 08-18-2016, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I'm more worried about my stock tires giving way first before I hit the footpegs.I don't recommend raising your rearsets UNTIL after you get grippier rubbers otherwise you'll be tempted to lean more than what the tires can handle but that's just my personal opinion.
Paulie.online, CBRpilot and Gizmo like this.

post #4 of 32 Old 08-18-2016, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
you will hear and feel the stock rearsets scrape. Usually with stock rearsets and stock tires this is a good indication that you shouldn't lean any further.

I suggest researching up on body positioning. Lean angle is basically risk the more you have the more risk you have of chucking the bike. With good body position you can take turns with less lean angle and less risk but at the same or even faster speeds.
SharperB and RebelRayna like this.

Your friendly neighborhood thread de-railer
WMRC #765
post #5 of 32 Old 08-18-2016, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrid_pace View Post
I suggest researching up on body positioning. Lean angle is basically risk the more you have the more risk you have of chucking the bike. With good body position you can take turns with less lean angle and less risk but at the same or even faster speeds.
^This. A good coaching/instruction day at the track teaches ways to make the same turn with less lean.

Like "Twist of the Wrist" suggests.....the lean angle credit card. Nice to have, don't abuse it.

ø consumption:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 32 Old 08-18-2016, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrid_pace View Post
you will hear and feel the stock rearsets scrape. Usually with stock rearsets and stock tires this is a good indication that you shouldn't lean any further.

But if I don't drag knee making that left turn through the intersection how else will I impress the ladies? /s

Bonus: If i don't get leaned wayyyyyyyy over how else will I scrub these chicken strips on my way to work? /s
CBRpilot and sensasianone like this.
post #7 of 32 Old 08-18-2016, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I agree to the advice on getting some quality instruction. This rider seems to be getting it down:

post #8 of 32 Old 08-18-2016, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
I've gotten to the edge of the tires (s20's) without grinding the pegs. That was both on and off the race track and on the rear tire. The front tire had plenty left to go. Oddly, on the stock tires I took the front within 4-5 mm of the edge. Didn't come close to the pegs on those tires either. I'll try and post a pic of how much clearance I have on the bikes stock pegs at the track later.
post #9 of 32 Old 08-18-2016, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Yes, you can...

post #10 of 32 Old 08-18-2016, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)

Not sure exactly how much lean angle that is since it's not a direct photo from the front but I do know I am no where near the pegs. I also know that I could get my inside leg in a bit more and get some more lean out of the bike.

Last edited by Kojiiro; 08-18-2016 at 09:31 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page