7Likes

post #1 of 13 Old 08-30-2016, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Issues going into 1st gear from Neutral

Hey everyone,

I was curious to see if anyone has had this issue with their R3, and if there were any suggestions on how to solve it.

I've been noticing that sometimes when I'm shifting into 1st from Neutral, it won't go into first. This has happened to me a few times to really bug me. The times it has happened, I was at a stop light (put the bike into neutral to adjust me glove) and when I went to put into 1st, it wouldn't go, it took me a few tries. Another time happened this morning, I had just started up my bike, letting it warm up before I left for work, and it was in Neutral and wouldn't go into 1st. Any suggestions or ideas help. So far I've heard to really press hard on the gear pedal and get into gear, and another suggestion was that possibly the gear pedal needed to be adjusted.

I'm open to suggestions and/or solutions, or even why it's doing this.

When life gets crazy, I ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-30-2016, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Garage
This is normal for many bikes rock it back an forth an try shifting

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 Old 08-31-2016, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage
+1 for rebel's post, just rock back and forth the gear should pop into first, if not, click it again and should be sweet, it's normal

For those who love to have highly flammable objects between our legs at speed!

Love to ride, Ride to live.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-31-2016, 12:58 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Let the clutch out a bit as you are attempting to tap into 1st, maybe a tiny bit of throttle.
RebelRayna likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-31-2016, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
When it happens to me i will release the clutch, then pull it again before kicking it into 1st. didn't rock the bike or give it gas, and it works for me
post #6 of 13 Old 08-31-2016, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I hold the clutch and press my foot lightly on the shifter (so I'm not forcing it into gear) and push the bike back a little since it's easier than pushing it forward if I'm on a flat road. If I'm on a hill I let go of the brake just to let it roll a little.
HFX-R3 likes this.

Atlanta, Ga.
Keep It Simple Stupid
12k miles and still loving this bike!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Are you a new rider/member, have questions, or would just like more information on the Yamaha R3? Click the link below

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-31-2016, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Garage
Normal. Slightly let out on clutch and rock back and forth as your putting in gear.
RebelRayna likes this.

TST Undertail and Fender Eliminator kit, TST Flush Front Turn Signals, TST Intergrated Tail light, Fork Pre Load Adjusters, Rear Set Relocation Plates, CNC Mirror Block off plates, CRG Blindside mirror, R6 Throttle Tube, Full Arrow Stainless Steel Header with Arrow can, Adjustable Levers, OEM Cowl
post #8 of 13 Old 08-31-2016, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Garage
Everyone above is correct.
I'll add... if you're on a hill and don't feel comfortable rocking the bike, apply downward pressure to the shift lever with your foot and just let out slightly on the clutch lever with your hand
The bike will slip right into gear.

Perfectly normal for any non-synchronized tranny (as motorcycles are)
xorbe and RebelRayna like this.

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Lightech Rear Turns, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

post #9 of 13 Old 08-31-2016, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon blue View Post
Normal. Slightly let out on clutch and rock back and forth as your putting in gear.
This seems to work for me, sometimes I just let out the clutch and then shift into first without rocking back and forth and all is good.
Gizmo and RebelRayna like this.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-01-2016, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Garage
Motorcycles can be jerks. I swear mine loves to do it when there's a huge line of traffic behind me on a light that changes quickly 😂😂 and yes sometimes it will be harder than others to make it go in.
Could you imagine a big heavy bike doing that?
Be happy you're dealing with it on our little bike

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page