Trying to diagnose my bike - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

12Likes

post #1 of 27 Old 09-21-2016, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Trying to diagnose my bike

Hey so about a week ago I was having a bit too much fun and took a turn too fast and had to straighten out the bikes but the rear tires locked up [don't know if I should call yamaha with the recall thingy]. The front left part of the wheel hit the front tire and now the bike pulls very slightly to the left. The forks don't look bent and I still ride the bike around but the dealership is telling me i need to drop 800 on new forks.
I don't know if it's the tire itself , the forks or something else and the dealership wanted me to pay 90$ an hour for 4 hours just go find out what's wrong.

I wad hoping maybe somebody can tell me through experience.
Thanks and i attached 2 images of the front of the bike.

EDIT-
I don't know if this will help anyone diagnose a problem but before the accident the ignition lock didn't have much give to it. After I would turn it all the way to the left and lock and then check it, it would only allow me to move the bar about an inch. Now after the accident it move about 2-4 inches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160921_204548_1474515131935.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	44401  

Last edited by Sheharyar5255; 09-23-2016 at 11:29 AM. Reason: More Information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 09-21-2016, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
A few things, your explanation of what happened is quite unclear. What hit what?

And as for the rear locking up, if it was the clutch bearing (which is part of the recall) you probably wouldnt be able to ride it after that. As for why it actually locked up, if could be you misinterpreting what actually happened or the less likely option the ABS system not working as intended.

As for if the forks are bent, they might be. Put your bike up on some stands, get some string and measure things out very carefully. If you are fairly adept at geometry you should be able to work out of one of the forks is slightly bent. Or, take it to a few different mechanics and if they all say the same thing then its probably that.
post #3 of 27 Old 09-22-2016, 02:21 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Garage
I think your problem is your SHOES.
Gizmo, giff74, Lovenuts and 1 others like this.

2015 Yamaha R3 (Blue/Silver)
2012 Honda CBR1000RR (HRC Edition)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 09-22-2016, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Garage
They might just be mis-aligned. Loosen the forks at the upper triple tree and lower triple tree then re-tighten them.
I think alignment is a lot more likely than bent forks
Gizmo likes this.
post #5 of 27 Old 09-22-2016, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Garage
Anecdotal evidence from the lack of forks for sale on eBay would suggest the R3 forks are not very sturdy. I would not be surprised if one, or both of the forks is slightly bent.

Looking at the pic it appears the tire/wheel is canted slightly to the throttle side of the bike if you look at the very top of the wheel/tire. Of course, pics can be very deceptive and it could just be how you are sitting on the bike, roadway, etc... It could also be my eyes are getting old and are just seeing it wrong.

Like me on Facebook at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 27 Old 09-22-2016, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies, I took it to 3 mechanics.
First was the dealership in which they just gave me a 1000$ tag to replace with a whole new front, they assumed the forks were bent but didn't want to take a look because it would result in 3 hours of labor.

Second was a Nice guy but he dealt with vintage bikes, he loosened up the clamps and put the tire against a wall and tried to straighten it but it didn't set. Then I told him what happened and he said he is 99% sure they are bent.

Third guy, same as the seconds guy.

When I run my hand up and down the fork it all seems straight, my guess would be the problem is in or around the triple clamp.

As for how it happened, the front left side of my tire hit a rock because my tires locked up. The front fender in the picture is new, the old one broke off at about the yamaha sign.
post #7 of 27 Old 09-22-2016, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Also, would you guys be able to tell me which part i would specifically have to buy if the tube is bent on the triple clamp?
http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/y...b06/front-fork

the guy told me oil seals and fork tube. the diagram is just throwing me off.
post #8 of 27 Old 09-22-2016, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Garage
4 or 26 (same part# for those) for the tubes. 9 or 26 for the seals.

Your rear tire most likely locked up either because you over applied the rear brake or you down shifted to many gears for the speed you were travelling and didn't rev match properly.

I highly doubt it was a problem with the bike.

Like me on Facebook at

post #9 of 27 Old 09-22-2016, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRpilot View Post
I think your problem is your SHOES.
That, and the Transformers logo is crooked
CBRpilot and matrix22 like this.

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Lightech Rear Turns, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

post #10 of 27 Old 09-22-2016, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

BRUH that took my ages lmao. I had to heat that **** and everything.....**** just roasting me. btw those are my friends feet so ill let him know. He rides a ninja sooooo........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page