How aggressive did you get with clip ons and rearsets for your street R3? - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

post #1 of 15 Old 09-24-2016, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
How aggressive did you get with clip ons and rearsets for your street R3?

I hope everyone is having a good weekend and getting some rides in before cold weather shows up!

I got my R3 back in February, after almost 20 years of not riding. Riding came back to me quicker than I thought it would and I was comfortable after only a few hundred miles. I wrestled with the idea of trading up almost right away, however I decided to keep the fun R3 and as I've added the Double Bubble, Norton levers and broke the bike in I found it was great riding the bike in and around the city.

Now I want to get the ergonomics rights. The Norton levers are awesome and I've got the reach and angle of the levers set how I like them. However, I'm only 5' 9" with a 29.5" inseam. Even with the balls of my feet on the pegs my legs are still a couple of inches away from being in the cutouts on the tank. So, I think I'm to the point of getting some rearsets. I've read everything Jesse has posted and I'm considering all options. I also want to swap out the clip ons for something a little more aggressive at the same time, again all options are open.

This bike will remain a street bike for the foreseeable future, so I don't want a fully committed race tuck, but more of a 3/4 ride like comes on most of the current 600's. If you're around my height and you have a great combination of clip ons and rearsets that give you a winning 3/4 position please let me know.

Thanks for any constructive advice ahead of time!

Giff

"She's fast enough for you old man...."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-24-2016, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
For reference I'm 5'11 with a decent reach, so your mileage might vary.

Even with the stock clip ons tucked under the triple (about a 2" drop) and the tyga rearsets (maybe an inch higher) the position is relaxed enough for me to do 500+ mile days. It's nowhere near as bad as any supersport I've sat on. Maybe 1/2 way there.

The higher seat option is probably the only way to force yourself into a tuck on this bike.

Last edited by cxa0897; 09-24-2016 at 07:06 AM.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-24-2016, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxa0897 View Post
For reference I'm 5'11 with a decent reach, so your mileage might vary.

Even with the stock clip ons tucked under the triple (about a 2" drop) and the tyga rearsets (maybe an inch higher) the position is relaxed enough for me to do 500+ mile days. It's nowhere near as bad as any supersport I've sat on. Maybe 1/2 way there.

The higher seat option is probably the only way to force yourself into a tuck on this bike.
Good point on the seat, I hadn't thought about that. I remember reading that now on one of Jesse's post about seat to rearset height.

I tried putting the stock clip ons under the triple tree and all I did was bang up the dash area and plastic under the clip ons. Did you need to raise the triple tree on the forks to make this work?

post #4 of 15 Old 09-24-2016, 08:25 AM

I was able to get them to a pretty good spot, but my the throttle cables were rubbing on the plastic. After a few weeks it had worn out a tiny groove and gained enough clearance. If you are anal about having perfect fairings, it wouldn't be something you want.

Basically it worked but wasn't ideal. I have a set of vortex clip ons to replace them since one was bent in my crash. It should be a similar position without the rubbing.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-24-2016, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Garage
Im in the same boat... took 20 years off and bought an R3 because I wanted something fun but not overly aggressive. I quickly got my skills and comfort back and now I'm looking to dial the bike in a bit.

I'm 5' 11" and I just can't get used to the ergs of this bike. Everyone talks about how commuter friendly it is but I can't agree completely with this. I ride 50 miles each way to work and after a 50 mile ride, I'm ready for a break. My wrists get most of the fatigue and no matter how I sit, it doesn't help. Maybe it's the vibes I get through the handlebars that makes things worse but even with bar end weights... meh.

I also think the bike is just a little too small under me and although I've considered new clip-ons and rear sets, I just don't think the investment will bring enough value for me. I'm also constantly sliding forward when braking so my junk is always less than happy while I'm riding.

I love the R3 but based solely on size and ergos, I'm strongly considering an upgrade in the spring.

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Lightech Rear Turns, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-24-2016, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by giff74 View Post
I hope everyone is having a good weekend and getting some rides in before cold weather shows up!

I got my R3 back in February, after almost 20 years of not riding. Riding came back to me quicker than I thought it would and I was comfortable after only a few hundred miles. I wrestled with the idea of trading up almost right away, however I decided to keep the fun R3 and as I've added the Double Bubble, Norton levers and broke the bike in I found it was great riding the bike in and around the city.

Now I want to get the ergonomics rights. The Norton levers are awesome and I've got the reach and angle of the levers set how I like them. However, I'm only 5' 9" with a 29.5" inseam. Even with the balls of my feet on the pegs my legs are still a couple of inches away from being in the cutouts on the tank. So, I think I'm to the point of getting some rearsets. I've read everything Jesse has posted and I'm considering all options. I also want to swap out the clip ons for something a little more aggressive at the same time, again all options are open.

This bike will remain a street bike for the foreseeable future, so I don't want a fully committed race tuck, but more of a 3/4 ride like comes on most of the current 600's. If you're around my height and you have a great combination of clip ons and rearsets that give you a winning 3/4 position please let me know.

Thanks for any constructive advice ahead of time!

Giff
Jesse is the man, do what he says. I order almost ALL my race build parts from him.

Clipons
Buy spare left grip and R6 Throttle tube. You will need them both. Only a couple bucks.
Vortex: Less aggressive, mount above triple. Good for street.
Woodcraft universal 41mm 1.5 inch rise:More aggressive, mount below triple, give better ground clearance. Good for track.
Jesse makes a rearset riser that will probably do what you need. But if you want the best set. SatoRacing is #1 with Woodcraft coming in second. Vortex is in development and will be the one I use next year since they sponsor me.

Jesse has all of this available on his site. yamahar3racing.com

Dont worry about your knees hitting the "wrong" points of the bike. Its more about what is functional for you. Invest in some grip pads and work on setting up anchor points for your turns.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-24-2016, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AesonVirus View Post
Im in the same boat... took 20 years off and bought an R3 because I wanted something fun but not overly aggressive. I quickly got my skills and comfort back and now I'm looking to dial the bike in a bit.

I'm 5' 11" and I just can't get used to the ergs of this bike. Everyone talks about how commuter friendly it is but I can't agree completely with this. I ride 50 miles each way to work and after a 50 mile ride, I'm ready for a break. My wrists get most of the fatigue and no matter how I sit, it doesn't help. Maybe it's the vibes I get through the handlebars that makes things worse but even with bar end weights... meh.

I also think the bike is just a little too small under me and although I've considered new clip-ons and rear sets, I just don't think the investment will bring enough value for me. I'm also constantly sliding forward when braking so my junk is always less than happy while I'm riding.

I love the R3 but based solely on size and ergos, I'm strongly considering an upgrade in the spring.
Im six foot, just remember to keep your forearms parallel to the ground and your boys will thank you.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-24-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:

I feel you on this, I found it as an awkward in between ergo when I first got it. It isn't aggressive, and it isn't upright. I think my fz8 was actually a tad more upright which I found surprising.

Changing clip ons and rearsets really help tighten everything up, but it probably won't be much more (if at all) comfortable for you. I wanted something more aggressive as I feel most comfortable with that positioning.

Per the upgrade, if you want something in a similar class to the r3, the cb500 line isn't too exciting, but they are really solid bikes. I've been riding my wife's 500f while my bike has been out of commission and it is a perfect commuter imo. Not much quicker than the 3, but with a lot more torque, nice wide handlebars for tight maneuvers and is definitely more up right. The 500r is the same mechanically, just with fairings.

If you want to jump up, any 600 class standard would fit the bill.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-24-2016, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxa0897 View Post
I feel you on this, I found it as an awkward in between ergo when I first got it. It isn't aggressive, and it isn't upright. I think my fz8 was actually a tad more upright which I found surprising.

Changing clip ons and rearsets really help tighten everything up, but it probably won't be much more (if at all) comfortable for you. I wanted something more aggressive as I feel most comfortable with that positioning.

Per the upgrade, if you want something in a similar class to the r3, the cb500 line isn't too exciting, but they are really solid bikes. I've been riding my wife's 500f while my bike has been out of commission and it is a perfect commuter imo. Not much quicker than the 3, but with a lot more torque, nice wide handlebars for tight maneuvers and is definitely more up right. The 500r is the same mechanically, just with fairings.

If you want to jump up, any 600 class standard would fit the bill.
The 500 does absolutely nothing for me. If I went that route, it'd probably have to be the CBR650

If I upgrade, the most likely candidate would be the FZ-07. Great bang for the buck and I won't have to drop much on the trade up. I don't like the cost to insure some of the bikes I'd prefer to own so I'm looking for that balance between comfort, fun factor, function and cost. The 07 does good in those areas.

I really do want to play on the new Daytona 675R though

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Lightech Rear Turns, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

post #10 of 15 Old 09-24-2016, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter Racing View Post
Jesse is the man, do what he says. I order almost ALL my race build parts from him.

Dont worry about your knees hitting the "wrong" points of the bike. Its more about what is functional for you. Invest in some grip pads and work on setting up anchor points for your turns.
Quote:

I also slide around when I'm hustling the bike, no matter how much I hold the bike with my knees. My first thought was that I need to get a tank pad, but at closer inspection I realized that my knees and inner thighs weren't actually making much contact with the tank, but more the fairing and plastic below the tank. That realization is what really got me thinking about rearsets and eventually the clip ons. I've got short legs and a longer torso, so I'm thinking that raising the the feet and a little stretching out forward will help make things a little more comfortable. I was hoping someone else may have already addressed this same issue and had the solution. LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page