Power commander? - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

post #1 of 11 Old 10-16-2016, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Power commander?

Something I've been thinking about for my bike next season since the weather is getting colder and closer to me winterizing it.

I installed an M4 street slayer exhaust on my bike and essentially it is a full exhaust system without the cat, except you just reuse the stock headers.

I'm pretty much new to everything, so would it be a good idea to invest in a power commander? And if I were to get one, do you just download a map on dynojet, program the power commander and that's it? Or is it a much more complicated system than that?

Thanks in advance!

Also I'm probably keeping this bike for awhile, so I'd like to put a little more work into it

Insurance on any other bike at my age is ridiculous...

Last edited by Preyamble; 10-16-2016 at 12:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-16-2016, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Hey man!

The power commander is a great investment as it will make everything run smoother, especially with the new exhaust (less pops and regains some hp). I don't think there's a map for the M4 SS on dynojets website.

If you want the best results for your particular bike (since every R3 is modded and built slightly different) you should get it dyno tuned. They'll program the power commander with results of the tune so you will get the peak performance out of your bike

If you're going to get it dyno tuned, consider a smog block off plate + a performance air filter so you can get it tuned for the best power result.

'15 Raven R3: Front flush LEDs, Rear Yamaha LEDs, R&G tail tidy/frame sliders/tank grips, Mirror spacers, Pirelli Rosso II, Akrapovic Racing line (Carbon) full exhaust, OEM seat cowl, 12V Twin socket & usb charger, NortonFab rearset risers, Vesrah brake pads, R6 throttle mod.

Last edited by Xoenz; 10-16-2016 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Formatting
post #3 of 11 Old 10-16-2016, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Garage
If it's a long-term bike then I'ld recommend a power commander. It will run fine with a generic map downloaded off the web but will run better with a dyno tune. I'ld also suggest a block off plate regardless of if you choose to have it tuned or not. An aftermarket air filter really isn't going to accomplish anything though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-16-2016, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
When I looked at dynojet they really didn't have many maps to download think was only 4 or 5. I wanted to get the graves slip on but no map for that yet. The m4 wasn't listed either.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-17-2016, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If you get a Power Commander, get the Autotuner, too. Then you don't need a Dynotune and it will automatically control the blend in different situations.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-18-2016, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiwanR3 View Post
If you get a Power Commander, get the Autotuner, too. Then you don't need a Dynotune and it will automatically control the blend in different situations.
Power commander + block off plates + autotune?

Hopefully, it'll be worth the investment next season!

From my understanding, if I get the autotune I don't have to get it dyno-tuned correct?

It'll literally be plug in and play without downloading a map off of dynojet?
post #7 of 11 Old 10-18-2016, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Yahoo to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Skype™ to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by VULGR View Post
If it's a long-term bike then I'ld recommend a power commander. It will run fine with a generic map downloaded off the web but will run better with a dyno tune. I'ld also suggest a block off plate regardless of if you choose to have it tuned or not. An aftermarket air filter really isn't going to accomplish anything though
@jbluetooth and @SpearsRacing have maps for specific exhausts especially M4's. G.Spears was a contributor IIRC into the M4 exhaust design and Jesse is a big M4 proponent, at least for R3's. You can PM or email either of them and both are really good about being available and replying which speaks a lot abot how helpful they are and their character. Have always appreciated the help And advice both have given me, considering both are crazy busy. I think Jesse is an alien-dude works full time, writes up a blog, fans his own brand's aftermarket parts, and races on Sunday. I think he doesn't sleep. Sometimes Jesse emails me at 8am EST when its like 5am for him in SD. Must be red bulls and coffee.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-18-2016, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I don't think anyone has a map for a m4 street slayer. Only the m4 full exhaust.
Anyway, correct. With pcv auto tube you don't need a dyno tune, it will make adjustments on the fly. You should still download and upload a base map as close to your setup as possible to give it a starting point. Any of the full exhaust maps should be a good starting point. The autotune will do the rest.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-18-2016, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Yahoo to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Skype™ to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY
Ah yes, I didnt see the street slayer pary. A slip-on type exhaust won't facilitate the use of an EFI tuning module like a Bazazz or Dynojet PC5. A quick, dirty, & relatively cheap aftermarket replacement part would be a BMC or K&N racing air filter. Give some mo betta air.

If you were able to somehow modify the slip-on to attach some bigger headers, then it might be different. Anyway, down the riad you might want to think about upgrading to a fullsystem from M4, Yoshimura or the ridiculus but expensive new Akrapovic Racing Line carbon full system. Personally, I have the former
A d couldn't be happier.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-18-2016, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm in the same boat total noob to bikes but have the M4 installed as well. Was trying to find out if a commander is the way to go or getting the ecu flashed. Thanks for all the input fellas

2015 Yamaha Blue/Silver
M4 Street Slayer Slip-on, Norton Levers, Motodynamic Integrated Taillight, Vagabond Fender Eliminator, TST Front Signals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page