1Likes
  • 1 Post By Airdale

post #1 of 10 Old 10-26-2016, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Clip ons below triple tree

Hey Guys,

I just have a quick question I can't seem to find the answer to. I know if I do new clip-ons like the woodcraft or vortex I should get rearsets otherwise the geometry of the riding position will be off. My question is if I drop the stock bars below the triple tree do I have to get rearsets? Or is not enough of a change to be necessary?

Also is it really as easy as it seems? Just unbolt the clip ons, take the top off and slide them below the top plate? Do I need to relocate any of the throttle cables or brake reservoir?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-26-2016, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
There is a thread.

Triple clamp flip or similar name.

I blame the Internet.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-26-2016, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
My question is if I drop the stock bars below the triple tree do I have to get rearsets?

Also is it really as easy as it seems? Just unbolt the clip ons, take the top off and slide them below the top plate? Do I need to relocate any of the throttle cables or brake reservoir?
You only need rear sets if you're getting your peg down which 90% of people wont do without being on a track. Are you going to track this bike? Even then, I had 2 full days on my R3 before I started getting my peg down and I also had 4 track days before that on a different bike.

It's about as easy as it seems. A little adjustments are needed with wires that are in the way. You don't remove the top triple! You remove the wheel, loosen the forks, slide them down and thread the clip on back onto the fork before the upper triple.

The brake reservoir might hit the dash, mine didn't, some people report that theirs do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-26-2016, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineeringAnon View Post
You only need rear sets if you're getting your peg down which 90% of people wont do without being on a track. Are you going to track this bike? Even then, I had 2 full days on my R3 before I started getting my peg down and I also had 4 track days before that on a different bike.

It's about as easy as it seems. A little adjustments are needed with wires that are in the way. You don't remove the top triple! You remove the wheel, loosen the forks, slide them down and thread the clip on back onto the fork before the upper triple.

The brake reservoir might hit the dash, mine didn't, some people report that theirs do.
This would probably be due to the ABS vs Non ABS SYSTEM.

For those who love to have highly flammable objects between our legs at speed!

Love to ride, Ride to live.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-26-2016, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skills3241 View Post
This would probably be due to the ABS vs Non ABS SYSTEM.
Which is which? My friend recently installed vortex clip ons on his ABS model and no issues with the brake reservoir, however the hose does touch the instrument cluster, which is annoying for the steering lock.

'15 Raven R3: Front flush LEDs, Rear Yamaha LEDs, R&G tail tidy/frame sliders/tank grips, Mirror spacers, Pirelli Rosso II, Akrapovic Racing line (Carbon) full exhaust, OEM seat cowl, 12V Twin socket & usb charger, NortonFab rearset risers, Vesrah brake pads, R6 throttle mod.

Last edited by Xoenz; 10-26-2016 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Punctuation delete
post #6 of 10 Old 10-26-2016, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Isn't the abs unit down on the bottom of the bike like most yammies?

When I had my stock bars under the triple the only issue I had was with the throttle cables hitting the inner side fairing no matter what I did. With my vortex's I had to rotate the brake line slightly to get clearance. No issues after that.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-26-2016, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxa0897 View Post
Isn't the abs unit down on the bottom of the bike like most yammies?

When I had my stock bars under the triple the only issue I had was with the throttle cables hitting the inner side fairing no matter what I did. With my vortex's I had to rotate the brake line slightly to get clearance. No issues after that.
Yes it is, however, the abs model has 2 seperate lines (one from MC to abs pump, one from abs pump to calliper) the hose angle is slightly different compared to the non abs version where the line goes straight from the MC to the calliper.

Xoenz, everywhere around the world is different, America has only the non abs version (at this present time), whereas Australia has only the abs version (at this present time) it just depends where you are in the world aha

For those who love to have highly flammable objects between our legs at speed!

Love to ride, Ride to live.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-27-2016, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skills3241 View Post
Yes it is, however, the abs model has 2 seperate lines (one from MC to abs pump, one from abs pump to calliper) the hose angle is slightly different compared to the non abs version where the line goes straight from the MC to the calliper.

Xoenz, everywhere around the world is different, America has only the non abs version (at this present time), whereas Australia has only the abs version (at this present time) it just depends where you are in the world aha
Ah. Makes sense that it is run a bit different. I'm in the US so haven't seen an abs model yet and couldn't figure out how a module on the bottom of the bike affects the handlebars
post #9 of 10 Old 10-28-2016, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I have mine mounted underneath, I haven't changed my rearsets yet, though that is in the very near future. I wouldn't say that you need to, but depending on your goals/riding style it may help. I found that even without leaning enough to drag a peg, changing the geometry helps me move around a bit smoother. This was on the track, not sure it would make any difference on the road. Try mounting yours under and ride with stock foot position for a while, see how you like it. It only costs some of your time at that point.

Having said all that, I'm planning on upgrading clip-ons soon as well, mostly for the drop angle.

This is my signature. Woo.
Hit me up on Instagram, look at my terrible pics: motomatt_r3
post #10 of 10 Old 11-07-2016, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Forgot to update this lol, Yea I just popped the top triple off and then put the clip ons underneath it. I got 35mm M6 screws (pretty sure they were 35mm) to thread the left side bracket on, the right side on I could bolt it underneath the bar like I did on the right side so that's just kind of hanging out there right now. They are both in those guide holes, and then I put the stock M6 back on top to plug the holes.

What a fantastic mod, the bike is so much more comfortable and natural feeling now. I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow.
Gizmo likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page