Battery Tender - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

post #1 of 11 Old 11-28-2016, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Battery Tender

It's time to put the bike away for the season. This is my first time winterizing a bike. I have done a fresh oil change, fuel stabilizer, covered it, and put it on stands.
I am going to be purchasing a battery tender, but wasn't sure which one you guys recommend. Is it fine if i get the Deltran "junior" 12v 0.75A charger? The junior is half the price, but half the amps in comparison to the "plus" model.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-28-2016, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I use the Battery Tender Junior 12V. It does a fairly decent job imo, but that's me. we don't tend to have very cold winters down in FL.
Gizmo likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-28-2016, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_86 View Post
I use the Battery Tender Junior 12V. It does a fairly decent job imo, but that's me. we don't tend to have very cold winters down in FL.
You don't "tend" to have very cold winters in Florida....pun "intended"? LOL!
I will be storing my bike in an underground heated garage and bring battery into the apartment on the tender. I will go with the junior.
thanks!

post #4 of 11 Old 11-28-2016, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
The only difference between the JR and the larger one is the charging speed. If your just float charging the battery then the JR will be fine charging at 750mA.

If you're already bringing the battery inside you shouldn't need a tender. Last year I left my battery on the tender all winter and it killed the battery capacity, had to buy a whole new battery. Standard lead acid batteries have a memory, if it is only depleted to 95% and then charged back full a bunch of times then the battery will start to lose it's full capacity.

Just bring the battery inside and leave it alone. If you absolutely have to, put it on the tender, in a few months, for a day and then take the tender off until just before you're going to put it back in the bike.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-28-2016, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineeringAnon View Post
The only difference between the JR and the larger one is the charging speed. If your just float charging the battery then the JR will be fine charging at 750mA.

If you're already bringing the battery inside you shouldn't need a tender. Last year I left my battery on the tender all winter and it killed the battery capacity, had to buy a whole new battery. Standard lead acid batteries have a memory, if it is only depleted to 95% and then charged back full a bunch of times then the battery will start to lose it's full capacity.

Just bring the battery inside and leave it alone. If you absolutely have to, put it on the tender, in a few months, for a day and then take the tender off until just before you're going to put it back in the bike.
Thank you for the recommendation!! I was under the impression that you need to tender it for the off season. I will just leave the battery inside for now and follow what you have said. The bike only has 5000km, so the battery itself is also pretty new.
Thanks again!
post #6 of 11 Old 11-28-2016, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I have the 750 ma version.
In the winter I put it on the battery once a month. I disconnect it when the light changes to green.
Never had a problem.

I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-28-2016, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Hey buddy, honestly if you have a heated garage, you probably don't need to do anything. Just disconnect it and leave it in the bike. I know for my car, I just disconnect it and leave it over the winter in the car. Then I charge it up in the spring. No issues and battery has been in the car for over 5 years. And my garage isn't even heated. Lead acid batteries are pretty tough and can take quite a bit of abuse but main thing is just to disconnect it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-09-2017, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I bought a $9 float charger from Harbor Freight

m.harborfreight.com/automatic-battery-float-charger-42292.html
Maintain 12 volt rechargeable batteries in storage
Copper-plated steel battery clamps for better conduction
LED power indicator light 10 ft. 22 gauge charging cable
Automatic safety shutoff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Atlanta, Ga.
Keep It Simple Stupid
12k miles and still loving this bike!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Are you a new rider/member, have questions, or would just like more information on the Yamaha R3? Click the link below

post #9 of 11 Old 04-09-2017, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
The tender junior is just fine for "tendering" a battery. Buy one of the plug ins for your battery so you can just quick plug it in and leave the seat on.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-17-2017, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use the junior on bikes, ATVs, and snowmobiles in a garage that gets below freezing most of winter. I have a couple and typically just rotate these around amongst vehicles every month or so with a plug connector attached to each so I don't need to mess with removing seats, fairings, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page