Yamaha R3 Forums banner

R3 Engine Swap FZ-07

61K views 56 replies 28 participants last post by  Marcc 
#1 ·
So I'll "try" to keep it short and say I financed a new 2015 Yamaha R3 a while back. Real fun bike! Very comfortable and sporty lightweight motorcycle. Seeing how I financed it I don't want to get rid of it. Recently however I started getting a little bored with the power. I got around to thinking of a similar and compatible engine to perform a fairly easy swap and came across a 2015 Yamaha FZ-07 engine out of a wrecked motorcycle.

I googled and googled and did all the research I could think of doing. They appear almost identical. Yamaha Parallel Twin Cylinders. Both are 2015. Weight is very close. The mounts are almost identical. I'm wanting to take a shot at swapping engines. The FZ-07 almost looks like a direct replacement! It looks like everything is identical and I can just replace my R3 ecu with an FZ-07 ecu and that's all?

The wiring harness on my R3 appears identical. Looks like I can just unplug my R3 ecu and plug in the FZ-07 ecu?

The FZ-07 engine I have is complete with throttle bodies and airbox. Which also look identical but I'll swap all this out because it's already attached to the FZ-07 engine because it was pulled from the wrecked motorcycle fully intact.

The exhaust is virtually identical as well. I see no reason why I couldn't perform the swap but just thought I'd check on here before I start pulling the engine. Any info that would be helpful and informative is greatly appreciated. Any links related please post. Thanks!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.