User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jay Joe

post #1 of 9 Old 01-06-2017, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Question Gear is blank

Has anyone's R3 HUD gear display gone blank when stopped? It wouldn't show 1,N,2,3,etc. It was simply blank. When I tried changing gears, nothing happens. I tried some rando stuff like letting go of the brake or something and it would then show back up.

If memory serves me right, I believe I shifted down to 1 from 3, really fast when coasting to a stop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-06-2017, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
I could be wrong but in neutral, it's an underline, not an N, so you may have gone into neutral. I feel the R3 sometimes has problems getting out of neutral, more often than other bikes. At a stop, when this happens I roll the bike a bit forward or back, and slowly feather the clutch out until it finds first. It had gone blank once while moving. Just clutch in and give it a firm kick up to the next gear.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-06-2017, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Hmm, ok. I'll double check. I was pretty sure I wasn't in N because the bright @ss green light, I would have noticed. I'll try your rocking back and forth method.

post #4 of 9 Old 01-06-2017, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Usually when that happens I'll either roll the bike forward a little and it'll eventually click in. Other than that I've had it go blank when I'm downshifting, and it wouldn't go down further, so I shift it back up, and then down again and it fixed it.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-06-2017, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
You're in between gears. Rock back and forth until it clicks into a gear or N.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-06-2017, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Yep this happens all the time in between gears, the indicator will be blank, roll the bike back and or forward while clicking into gear and it'll actually go in.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-06-2017, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
It happens.

This is what you need to do. Put a piece of tape over the gear indicator. Learn how to ride without looking at what gear you are on.

Problem solved!

No, but seriously, my first bikes all had gear indicators, and I wanted to buy one that had no gear indicator. So I did this (the tape), rode a handful of times, got used to it, bought a bike without a gear indicator, now I barely look at what gear I am in on all my bikes. Its a nice luxury to have, but don't rely on it. And truthfully it will also add to your overall skills as a rider. Bikes have existed for decades without a gear indicator!
Kojiiro likes this.

If you argue with an internet moron, everyone loses.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-07-2017, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Joe View Post
It happens.

This is what you need to do. Put a piece of tape over the gear indicator. Learn how to ride without looking at what gear you are on.

Problem solved!

No, but seriously, my first bikes all had gear indicators, and I wanted to buy one that had no gear indicator. So I did this (the tape), rode a handful of times, got used to it, bought a bike without a gear indicator, now I barely look at what gear I am in on all my bikes. Its a nice luxury to have, but don't rely on it. And truthfully t will also add to your overall skills as a rider. Bikes have existed for decades without a gear indicator!
I use mostly the gear indicator at slow speeds in urban riding to make sure I don't start off in 2nd.....which can be done, but not ideal. (10km/h is my deciding point between a 1st or 2nd gear roll)
post #9 of 9 Old 01-08-2017, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

I haven't ridden outside the usual streets, so I'm always on 3rd gear or lower and able to keep track. I've strangely not relied on it as I had expected. I just didn't realize I could be in between gears, which was when I looked at the HUD and noticed it to be blank.

Thanks all for the tip. Good to know it wasn't so mechanical failure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page