R3 upgrades for a better ride - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

19Likes

post #1 of 28 Old 01-25-2017, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
R3 upgrades for a better ride

Got the r3 as a starter since I've never owned a street bike and it's cool but definitely not an r6, which I've shoulda just got lol. Performance I'm not so worried about it's a small bike and will always be. I've got a little over 2k miles so far and curious as to what upgrades people have done (brakes, suspension, tires) I'm happy with the bike I just want a better ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 01-25-2017, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinVr3 View Post
Got the r3 as a starter since I've never owned a street bike and it's cool but definitely not an r6, which I've shoulda just got lol. Performance I'm not so worried about it's a small bike and will always be. I've got a little over 2k miles so far and curious as to what upgrades people have done (brakes, suspension, tires) I'm happy with the bike I just want a better ride
Dumb question, but since its your first street, did you ever adjust your preload?
post #3 of 28 Old 01-26-2017, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Garage
An R6 is twice the price of the R3. The R6 is very uncomfortable. I think some people like the "look" of it. I don't.
Gizmo likes this.

2015 Yamaha R3 (Blue/Silver)
2012 Honda CBR1000RR (HRC Edition)

post #4 of 28 Old 01-26-2017, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinVr3 View Post

Get yourself a nice set of tires, adjust your preload according to weight (reduce sag), rearsets, clip ons and enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 28 Old 01-26-2017, 01:38 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
If you are just commuting around, the stock bike is good as is. As mentioned, a better set of tires is not a bad idea. The stock brakes are ok after being bedded in. For canyon and track days, there are tons of upgrade available. Personally, I have vortex clip ons, Ohlins cartridges, Brembo master cylinder, Brembo caliper, T. rex sliders, R-&G case savers, an integrated tail light, tail tidy, and flush signals. My bike is used everyday for commuting, weekend canyon rides and will see the track when I am not deployed. The bike is not bad stock if you are a beginner just trying to learn to ride and commute daily.
naripsta, Gizmo, giff74 and 4 others like this.
post #6 of 28 Old 01-26-2017, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
What are you using the bike for? What is your idea of a better ride? What shortcomings do you notice of the bike.

Telling you what you don't want to hear even though deep down you know I'm right.
post #7 of 28 Old 01-26-2017, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Switching to the R6 grip/throttle tube has made it a more enjoyable ride. And it was cheap.
B-Factor likes this.
post #8 of 28 Old 01-26-2017, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
I commute with mine, only mods I have are aesthetic stuff. Such as the rear fender eliminator and flush mount signals. I also adjusted preload and that's about it. Don't really need anything else IMO.
Kojiiro and ThumperRider like this.

CRT
post #9 of 28 Old 01-26-2017, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I commute to work daily and ride with a group on weekends a lot and cut up. Everything I've done so far is looks (fender eliminator, windscreen, flush mounts) I haven't adjusted the pre load I'm only 160 lbs but I'll look at doing that but maybe cause it's my first street bike but I feel like the brakes could be better but I don't know **** about clip ons or anything lol also suggestions on tires and better sprockets the oem one looks cheap to me but then again idk lol
post #10 of 28 Old 01-27-2017, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
New rider here and new R3 - Let me save you hours upon hours of reading the awesome advice everyone has posted here and summarize for you in order of priority what you should do:

1. Replace tires...like now, right this moment. The Pirelli Diablo Rosso II is what I got, not one second of regret
2. Adjust preload, i've got it at 1 below max - no more bouncy bouncy (I'm 185)
3. Replace front brake pad with the Vesrah racing pad (SO HAPPY I did this - but agree with others you can wait a bit and the stock will get better with use).
4. Replace the break lines to steel braided. Seriously why doesn't it just come stock like this?

Once you've done the above:
5. rearsets
6. Clip-ons

If you are power hungry:
7.Power Commander 5 with full exhaust (just buy it all at once) - browse around figure out what sound you like + performance considerations
8. High airflow filter

If you are going to track or get serious:
9.Suspension

*Disclaimer: I'm a noob, but I've done 1-4 & 7-8 and SUPER happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7144.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	48393  
Goalier95, Gizmo and adamwramage like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page