Yamaha R3 Forums banner

R3 upgrades for a better ride

16K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  B-Factor 
#1 ·
Got the r3 as a starter since I've never owned a street bike and it's cool but definitely not an r6, which I've shoulda just got lol. Performance I'm not so worried about it's a small bike and will always be. I've got a little over 2k miles so far and curious as to what upgrades people have done (brakes, suspension, tires) I'm happy with the bike I just want a better ride

#5 ·
If you are just commuting around, the stock bike is good as is. As mentioned, a better set of tires is not a bad idea. The stock brakes are ok after being bedded in. For canyon and track days, there are tons of upgrade available. Personally, I have vortex clip ons, Ohlins cartridges, Brembo master cylinder, Brembo caliper, T. rex sliders, R-&G case savers, an integrated tail light, tail tidy, and flush signals. My bike is used everyday for commuting, weekend canyon rides and will see the track when I am not deployed. The bike is not bad stock if you are a beginner just trying to learn to ride and commute daily.

#9 ·
I commute to work daily and ride with a group on weekends a lot and cut up. Everything I've done so far is looks (fender eliminator, windscreen, flush mounts) I haven't adjusted the pre load I'm only 160 lbs but I'll look at doing that but maybe cause it's my first street bike but I feel like the brakes could be better but I don't know **** about clip ons or anything lol also suggestions on tires and better sprockets the oem one looks cheap to me but then again idk lol

#10 ·
New rider here and new R3 - Let me save you hours upon hours of reading the awesome advice everyone has posted here and summarize for you in order of priority what you should do:

1. Replace tires...like now, right this moment. The Pirelli Diablo Rosso II is what I got, not one second of regret
2. Adjust preload, i've got it at 1 below max - no more bouncy bouncy (I'm 185)
3. Replace front brake pad with the Vesrah racing pad (SO HAPPY I did this - but agree with others you can wait a bit and the stock will get better with use).
4. Replace the break lines to steel braided. Seriously why doesn't it just come stock like this?

Once you've done the above:
5. rearsets
6. Clip-ons

If you are power hungry:
7.Power Commander 5 with full exhaust (just buy it all at once) - browse around figure out what sound you like + performance considerations
8. High airflow filter

If you are going to track or get serious:
9.Suspension

*Disclaimer: I'm a noob, but I've done 1-4 & 7-8 and SUPER happy.

Attachments

#17 ·
Adjusting the gearing to suit your riding is something else as well.

Mine rarely if ever makes it on the highway so I went -1 on the front sprocket and around town its pretty **** fun. And to the contrary of what some others might say.... it does not make 1st gear unusable... yes its a shorter gear than it was before but you certainly won't be needing to take off in 2nd like some people might imply....

#26 · (Edited)
The brake system is hydraulic. The stock tubing will have a certain amount of 'give' to it as it stretches and expands under the hydraulic force applied. Not a lot, but an unflexing (in diameter) braided line will give a more 'direct' feel between the brake pads and your hand. Basically less give. Less 'squishieness' for lack of a technical term. For those looking for a more responsive feel from their braking system, it's basically upgrade No.1 next to replacing the stock pads for a sintered version.

#28 ·
R6 throttle tube, it's cheap and a plus
slip-on exhaust if you want the look and to help sound off to cars

For looks, fender eliminator kit, and TST LED flashers

I just did the Zero Gravity Double Bubble light smoke windshield installation today and I like it.

Remember to always check your tire pressure ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.