Future R3 to get USD and LED lighting (?) - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ruby

post #1 of 9 Old 01-30-2017, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Future R3 to get USD and LED lighting (?)

The initial bike showed the promise of USD forks, but the 2015 model didn't have them. Perhaps they are coming after all?

https://www.motorbeam.com/2016/11/bi...ed-headlights/

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-31-2017, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Garage
Nope. The 2017 model has already been released, just check the yamaha website, and it's the same bike as 15-16. Maybe a face-lift for 2018, but we won't know for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kojiiro and sbk1198 like this.

-Rachael

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 Old 01-31-2017, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Doubt it. Besides when it does get usd forks, it's going to take a while to get upgraded internals. Just think back on how long and how many delays the nix22 had. Other kits came out earlier but it will still take time. By the time you get your USD fork R3, there will be others who already have a better functioning fork.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-31-2017, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
Nope. The 2017 model has already been released, just check the yamaha website, and it's the same bike as 15-16. Maybe a face-lift for 2018, but we won't know for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I knew the 2017 was out and there was no USD/LED upgrade. But, I do think a refresh is coming and the competition is raising the bar, so I do think the 2018(?) may get these changes.

I am not sure the US market will dictate the change as much as the World market competition dictates the change; we just benefit from the change about 1 MY later. Honda has released the CBR250RR and KTM 390 Duke/RC has gone through a refresh. The bar is going up so it is Yamaha's and Kawasaki's turn to refresh their offering or sales will be pulled away. With USD/LED addition, the Yamaha R3 stays very competitive with the CBR250RR and KTM models. I think Kawasaki is in the most must do something as they enjoy solid sales numbers in key World Market and might be the one who falls into last place (if Yamaha refreshes the R3).

So I gave up on a CBR350RR anytime soon and was going to get a R3/ABS early summer... Perhaps we will all know more as summer is upon us? I don't worry about getting the first model year (refresh or new) with limited initial aftermarket support. There is enough parts out there to make sufficient suspension and brake mods (I'm cheap and have a reasonable set of tools).

I was wondering if anyone else had heard anything.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-31-2017, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Garage
LED front lights and USD forks are on the 2018.

Last edited by Bird; 01-31-2017 at 11:04 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-31-2017, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Front radial fixed caliper (with potential bigger front disc ?), brake feel should be better. A surprise they did not highlight the change with a circle.

Anyone translate? The circle in the middle suggests a slipper clutch? and behind the bigger circle is a smaller circle; better rear shock to go with the front suspension upgrade?

No wonder they finally got ABS here... to help with 2017 sales. Hope the 2018 (refresh) has ABS...
post #7 of 9 Old 02-01-2017, 03:18 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Garage

post #8 of 9 Old 02-01-2017, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Garage
You can't believe every article you read, Motorsport magazines are always making claims of updates and new models that never arrive. There's a lot more involved then just changing to USD forks.
*also, ABS models released in some markets (Australia only sell the R3 with ABS)
post #9 of 9 Old 02-01-2017, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
If that's the same mag that I think it is (young machine), then as mentioned, don't take everything out from that mag as factual. The % is based on how true the article may be. They do that with a lot of bikes. They did the same thing with the concept CBR250rr but things changed from the original concept to what is actually on the bike now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page