1Likes
  • 1 Post By SpinCycle

post #1 of 7 Old 02-04-2017, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2016 Clutch Switch Question

Hey all,

The other night I botched an attempt to install an aftermarket clutch lever - I ended up snapping off a tiny plastic switch hidden inside the clutch assembly and now I need to replace the whole switch. Some research told me this may be the neutral safety switch, and I found the part # for a 2015 replacement part. (http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...917-00-00.html)

My question is: the 2015 part will still work on my '16 bike, right? I don't anticipate problems but I wanted to check to make sure.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-04-2017, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Yahoo to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Skype™ to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY
@SpinCycle , this is actually ironic and bizarre! The Clutch Gods must be wanting their sacrifices. Hear me out-these two threads should enlighten and help you.

@omega clutch position sensor clearance issuesl

@AesonVirus Neutral Safety Switch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-04-2017, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinCycle View Post
Hey all,

The other night I botched an attempt to install an aftermarket clutch lever - I ended up snapping off a tiny plastic switch hidden inside the clutch assembly and now I need to replace the whole switch. Some research told me this may be the neutral safety switch, and I found the part # for a 2015 replacement part. (http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...917-00-00.html)

My question is: the 2015 part will still work on my '16 bike, right? I don't anticipate problems but I wanted to check to make sure.

Thanks
Yup... same part for both years

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Slip-On Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Adjustable Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 02-04-2017, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
One thing I mentioned in my thread is there's very limited stock left in the US right now on these... get it before it's too late lol
post #5 of 7 Old 02-14-2017, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you everyone. I was able to order the correct part and do the installation. I appreciate your help!
AesonVirus likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-15-2017, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Yahoo to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Skype™ to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY
Crazy. ****, maybe we should be ordering extras just in case. It would suck to be grounded for that little **** of a part. I swear, so many places have stock issues. For my Macbook Airs I always get extra power cords for on the go; it sucks to always unplug and neatly route laptop power cords every time you leave and come home. Anyway since I am doing extra CS courses as prereqs for grad school for a Master's in Comp Sci I bought a new Razer Blade Stealth laptop to do coding on the Windows side-anyway point is their power cord has been out of stock since November. I had literally been checking every day since then and it finally came in stock 2 days ago. Frustrating. As another aside, I uograded both my clutch and front brake/master cylinder with CRG and Brembo respectively. The brake light switch is a similar switch that snaps in below but has different wire terminal connectors on them-had to cut the wires and switch to the stock quick connects. The actual cable is very long and has lots of extra slack which I wrapped up and zip tied. Anyway, I could find the exta same size connectors even though I ordered 3 boxes worth of different connectors. Had to modify them and crimp them in. Also wrapped it in electrical tape and zip tied it just to be safe. So far so good but crimping is not my forte and hopefully there's no issue with water or anything. Remember to be slow and methodical with those levers. Sometimes I move fast and brute force seemingly stuck things when it takes a certain way and I've broken things in my haste. So much safer to take your time. Frankly, I am stunned I didnt thrash my clutch switch. The CRG was tricky to install especially since I bought the lever and perch and is nerve racking to mess around with such a nice but delicately anodized lever that can be scratched up easily from tools during install
post #7 of 7 Old 02-15-2017, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Garage
I wouldn't panic buy clutch switches. There will be more. I't not like they stopped making this bike 10 yrs ago and parts are getting harder to find.

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Slip-On Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Adjustable Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page