What is the max to spend on modifying your R3 - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

26Likes

post #1 of 53 Old 02-05-2017, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
What is the max to spend on modifying your R3

I don't know if I saw this asked yet. Given the majority on this site (at least the ones who replied to a poll) are relatively new to motorcycling, I was curious how much love would you be spending on your new ride.

Rounding off, the bike cost at $5K, or perhaps close to $6K OTD; what is a "sane" amount of love?

For me doing some things, I see my wish list got to $2.5K without too much sweat. I rationalize this by thinking I will be keeping this bike in the fold for some time, so improving in areas that will make it more fun to ride make sense to me... although looking at $8.5K makes you wonder what you can also get thats 3 years old...

Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 02-05-2017, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Not counting consumables such as tire, air and oil filters, frame protection, etc, probably $2000. First would be suspension upgrades which is already around $1200 (with basic rear shock, more with a racing/track oriented shock), then brake components, then maybe aesthetic items. I've spent money on PC/exhausts on other bikes but I might be unwilling to do so on the R3. We will see. I like the note of the bike now, but I also want to hit ~330-40 lbs on it if possible.

Last edited by Kojiiro; 02-05-2017 at 06:54 PM.
post #3 of 53 Old 02-05-2017, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Garage
I stuck with mods that simply make the bike a little more original in a crowd. I'm not dropping money into "performance upgrades" because when I want more bike, I'll just go and get more bike.
And... never add up the cost of your mods! It's an unspoken but universally understood rule.
chelina, red_86 and spacetiger like this.

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Lightech Rear Turns, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 53 Old 02-05-2017, 04:49 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
As much as I can spare! lol...which is not enough. I bought my bike for $1300 with fees and all that other bs, and so far the stuff on my "to do" list equals about $4000-$4500. Additionally my "wish list" would include some other upgrades such as some engine parts, lighter wheels, aftermarket rotor, caliper, MC, and some titanium hardware which would probably be another $3000-$3500. Unfortunately I doubt I'll be able to do all of that anytime soon, so for now I'm starting with the "to do" list and go from there.

2007 ZZR600 (street bike)
2010 1198 (race bike, parted out across the country)
2006 CBR600 (street/track, sold)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike, future race bike hopefully)

Sponsors:
post #5 of 53 Old 02-05-2017, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AesonVirus View Post
I stuck with mods that simply make the bike a little more original in a crowd. I'm not dropping money into "performance upgrades" because when I want more bike, I'll just go and get more bike.
And... never add up the cost of your mods! It's an unspoken but universally understood rule.
Yes, a smart answer when the brain is left alone to make decisions. Problem is the bike is good enough to make you want more and the bits to change are not cheap. I'm sure you can take $8.5K and get a heck of a bike...

You have to want the smaller bike to get comfortable with the thought you might drop some serious coin on upgrades. Yes, we are not supposed to add up the tab, but with multiple bikes, you have to do this so you know you can make next months rent.

I guess $2K is the minimum entree fee once you start sliding down the slippery slope.

Last edited by spacetiger; 02-06-2017 at 05:33 PM.
post #6 of 53 Old 02-05-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AesonVirus View Post
I wouldn't say I want more bike. I had "more bike" in previous bikes. I just want a better performing lightweight bike, and neither of my previous bikes were light weights.
sbk1198 likes this.
post #7 of 53 Old 02-05-2017, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I set my limit at about $2000 (full exhaust,fuel control,levers,braided brake lines,FE,tail light, flush mounts, rear sets). Even though I got the bike as a gift, I just can't justify any more $$.

And to be honest, the mods listed above are pretty much what I would do / have done to any bike.
post #8 of 53 Old 02-05-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwick2000 View Post
I set my limit at about $2000 (full exhaust,fuel control,levers,braided brake lines,FE,tail light, flush mounts, rear sets). Even though I got the bike as a gift, I just can't justify any more $$.

And to be honest, the mods listed above are pretty much what I would do / have done to any bike.
No suspension mods? You know you want it.
giff74 and AesonVirus like this.
post #9 of 53 Old 02-05-2017, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojiiro View Post
No suspension mods? You know you want it.
And add tires to that list too
Kojiiro and giff74 like this.

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Lightech Rear Turns, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

post #10 of 53 Old 02-05-2017, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Although this won't be true for everyone, for me it seems I get it out of my system on each subsequent purchase.

My first bike, unfortunately I made the mistake of tallying how much I spent on aftermarket mods. 4000 USD. Its funny though, recently I removed about 900 dollars of stuff and reverted things back to stock.

The R3, I spent only about 1000.

My third bike, although it is the strongest and most expensive bike, I didn't do much mods on it. About 400.

Telling you what you don't want to hear even though deep down you know I'm right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page