User Tag List

1Likes

post #1 of 15 Old 02-14-2017, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
GPS Installation - Wiring

Morning everyone,

I'm wanting to mount my Garvin GPS to my 2016 R3 using a Ram Mount method that has been discussed on this forum before. My question is about wiring. The plan as it stands is to install a 12v receptacle in trunk and wire it to the battery terminals under the seat, then connect the GPS to the receptacle using the stock 12v cable that came with the unit. My concern is that I won't have enough clearance under the plastic tank cover to route the cable around and hide it, while still being able to set the tank cover to be flush like it should be. Those cables can be pretty thick sometimes.

For those of you more familiar with these sort of endeavors, what are your thoughts on this? Do you think I can hide a cable under the tank cover no problem? Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-14-2017, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Garage
This is a hard one to answer without seeing the wires you are trying to route. The gas tank cover comes off pretty easily though so it won't take long to pop it off and see if you have enough space to accomplish what you're trying to do.
Pull the cowl and seat, the left and right upper fairing trims and then the cover comes off with just a few bolts. (also held in place with a few rubber grommets and plugs (remove the bolts, grab the sides and "pop" the cover off.
If you don't have enough room, just move the 12v hookup to the dash area and run a Battery Tender cable from the back to the front. Mine is hidden under the left side fairing and there was plenty of room for that.
ThumperRider likes this.

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Lightech Rear Turns, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-14-2017, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Garage
There should be plenty of room, there's lots of space between the tank cover and the tank

post #4 of 15 Old 02-14-2017, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Yahoo to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Skype™ to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by AesonVirus View Post
This is a hard one to answer without seeing the wires you are trying to route. The gas tank cover comes off pretty easily though so it won't take long to pop it off and see if you have enough space to accomplish what you're trying to do.
Pull the cowl and seat, the left and right upper fairing trims and then the cover comes off with just a few bolts. (also held in place with a few rubber grommets and plugs (remove the bolts, grab the sides and "pop" the cover off.
If you don't have enough room, just move the 12v hookup to the dash area and run a Battery Tender cable from the back to the front. Mine is hidden under the left side fairing and there was plenty of room for that.
. I have so many additional wire leads attached to my battery (Scorpio alarm, battery tender, PC5, etc) I can barely screw the bolt into the nut-it catches on like 1 thread to hold it all down. Probably going to have to find some longer screws for the battery terminals. Anyway this thread has put the idea in my head to do what you suggested @AesonVirus-add a BT USB cable. Now I just mount my iPhone and have a Mophie juice pack on it for additional battery and carry a USB battery charger for extra juice. Was thinking of a direct power lead and also maybe getting a heated vest for those cold winter days. So anyway, point is, how did you mount it? It goes up the left side and pops out by the handle bars? Is the cable just sticking out or do you have it zip tied or velcro'd or something to that effect?
post #5 of 15 Old 02-15-2017, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0b0tN1nja_BKNY View Post
.Now I just mount my iPhone and have a Mophie juice pack on it for additional battery and carry a USB battery charger for extra juice.
I didn't want to add a bunch of stuff to my bike and this is exactly what I did for my phone/sena battery. I grabbed a 10,000mAh IP67 (dustproof/sandproof water resistant for 1m up to 30mins?) to put in my bikes trunk (fits perfect) and I don't have to worry about it getting wet. Also has quick charge 2.0 so it can charge my phone **** quick if I take a stop for a few minutes - easier than having a cord all the time - love it.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-15-2017, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
. I have so many additional wire leads attached to my battery (Scorpio alarm, battery tender, PC5, etc) I can barely screw the bolt into the nut-it catches on like 1 thread to hold it all down.
If you have that much going on in there, you may want to consider a power distribution module... essentially a second fuse box for all your add-ons.
Many options... this is just the first that popped up in a quick search
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...hwNhoC6Fvw_wcB

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Lightech Rear Turns, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

post #7 of 15 Old 02-15-2017, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Yahoo to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Skype™ to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by AesonVirus View Post
Quote:
. I have so many additional wire leads attached to my battery (Scorpio alarm, battery tender, PC5, etc) I can barely screw the bolt into the nut-it catches on like 1 thread to hold it all down.
If you have that much going on in there, you may want to consider a power distribution module... essentially a second fuse box for all your add-ons.
Many options... this is just the first that popped up in a quick search
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...hwNhoC6Fvw_wcB
That is actually a very good idea. Pricey at $129 amd I have to figure out where it'll go-the Scorpio, Dynojet PowerCdr5 and AutoTune modules take up a fair amount of real estate, so it's tight in there. If its viable, then I am going to try to install it and the cabling, and get a better battery to boot. Muchos Gracias.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-18-2017, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys for the info. Finally think I got everything ordered that I need to do this. I wanted a dedicated GPS unit because I don't see myself really using my phone for directions while riding, and I don't plan to use it for anything else.

I'm concerned about battery pull if I used the 12v connection to the battery as I described earlier. Is this a less than optimal way to hook up a GPS? Am I pulling from the battery all the time, or just when the bike is powered on? I've also seen people wire the positive end to the lights, and the ground to the battery. I'm reluctant to splice into the electronics too much. Thoughts?
post #9 of 15 Old 02-19-2017, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
You want to avoid hooking things up in a way that ends up with a constant draw on the battery. Even if you install a toggle switch, forget about it and risk having a dead battery... and that all ways seems to happen when it's the least convenient.
You're better off hooking it into the fuse box so there is only power going to it when the bike is running. That will avoid a constant draw on your battery.

A dedicated GPS is cool if you don't want to use your phone.
I like using my phone for GPS because it not only gives me the map if I need to glance at it but it also gives me verbal instructions through my Sena unit through Bluetooth. That keeps my eyes on the road and not down on my map all the time.

Last edited by AesonVirus; 02-19-2017 at 01:42 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-20-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I found a fairly simple tutorial on Youtube for doing the connections directly in the fuse box. Do I need to be concerned with crimped wires shorting out and messing things up in there? Is there a better way to do it than just simply inserting the wire into the fuse? I guess I'm just unconfident and aprehensive with anything electrical.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page