2Likes
  • 1 Post By xorbe
  • 1 Post By cxa0897

post #1 of 6 Old 02-15-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Sprocket Conversion for commuting?

Hey guys long time no talk. Been an odd winter, had my bike out a few times when i could but soon it will be summer and braaaaaaaaap. Anyway I've been toying with the idea of a sprocket conversion to get better top end speed and not rev the bike so **** high for cruising.

Current gear ratio 3.07 at a 14/43 (STOCK)

New gear ratio 2.67 revolutions with 15/40 sprockets (Custom)

This would effectively give you a 15% reduction in RPM range without causing the bike to become too sluggish. Perfect for highway riding when your screaming in 5 or 6th gear going over 70mph. I normally do 65 then goose it up to 105.
You could ride out gears longer, you can wheelie out of 1st longer. My only concern is torque, what do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-15-2017, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
The difference between 5th and 6th gear is 15%. If you can't go faster in 6th vs 5th, then changing the sprocket ratios by 15% isn't going to make you go any faster in 5th either! But having "7th gear" on the freeway would be nice sometimes, but when it's windy, I find myself in 5th gear often.
Gizmo likes this.

oh hai, yo
post #3 of 6 Old 02-17-2017, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
That is a huge difference in gearing, and I'm not sure 6th will be able to do anything on the highway except maintain speed. Passing without down shifting will be miserable. I doubt there will be any noticeable gain in top speed, this bike is near the end of its available power at redline in 6th. Seems pointless to change for a few extra mph (on a good day), especially on public roads.

Outside of those points, I don't see any issue with the bike "screaming", it's what it was made to do. I ran my r3 nearly 16 hours straight at 80mph on stock gearing for my iron butt, the bike can do it easily. Some guy in India just did 1500 miles on his in 30 hrs. I plan to attempt the same in 24 hrs this summer. These are stout motors.
Kojiiro likes this.

post #4 of 6 Old 02-17-2017, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxa0897 View Post
That is a huge difference in gearing, and I'm not sure 6th will be able to do anything on the highway except maintain speed. Passing without down shifting will be miserable. I doubt there will be any noticeable gain in top speed, this bike is near the end of its available power at redline in 6th. Seems pointless to change for a few extra mph (on a good day), especially on public roads.

Outside of those points, I don't see any issue with the bike "screaming", it's what it was made to do. I ran my r3 nearly 16 hours straight at 80mph on stock gearing for my iron butt, the bike can do it easily. Some guy in India just did 1500 miles on his in 30 hrs. I plan to attempt the same in 24 hrs this summer. These are stout motors.
15% isnt a huge difference considering im keeping the stock chain. This modification is not really for more top end speed so please don't think that im some idiot whos like ZOMG GONNA GO 175MPH ON A R3! Its more or less so i can be cruising on the highway at a lower RPM. Theres no issue with the bike screaming mechanically, its just a undesirable trait since i do alot of highway commuting and anything over 70mph i better be in 6th. After riding bigger bikes i see how relaxed they are on the highway at normal to slightly above speed limit. I probably just need a new bike, atleast a 600 to really gain that ideal cruising leisure. I just wanted to get some opinions before i waste my money and it seems like this mod isnt really worth it. Maybe ill change out the rear sprocket to a 40 and just keep the front a 14. Thats only like 60 bucks.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-18-2017, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am too thinking the same, I've fitted a pro race trim in place of the end can as the Cat is further back and the underbody exhaust box does the legal requirements, it sounds somewhat better and is slightly deeper sounding at high revs, i still feel the extra tooth on the front is likely to be done. I did this on a R125 some years ago it was the best change i made, however it did come with Scorpion exhaust and power commander.
I've actually stepped down from an XJ6 to the MT03 2016 which is identical except fairing to the R3 and i must say along the A2 i prefer the smaller engine, it's more fun.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-18-2017, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Pretty sure you should just go and buy that bigger bike. You've found so many little things that you don't like and have already made up your mind.

Also, you will want a new chain after 10k miles if you do new sprockets. That much wear on the chain and brand new sprockets will probably not work out that well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page