Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Average fuel economy on R3

73K views 53 replies 35 participants last post by  Maxpressure520 
#1 · (Edited)
After looking back and forth repeatedly at the R3 and Ninja 300,...I am back to deciding deciding on the R3 as I am preferring Yamaha over Kawasaki,..nothing wrong with them,..it's just I have more of a liking to Yamaha. Okay,..that being said,I am curious as to the kind of fuel economy/mileage you're averaging with your R3 motorcycles,...especially if you ride conservatively. I'm still 4 to 6 months away from being ready to buy,but it will get here faster than you think. I'm 53 years old,and no tickets of any kind,..and no accidents in last 10 years or more! The R3 will be my first,...and probably only,...motorcycle as I feel I won't need anything bigger than that,especially at my age! I chose a sport motorcycle because I like the sporty look of them over a heavy,bulky cruiser!
Yamaha rates the R3 at a conservative 56 mpg,and with a 3.7 gallon tank I should be able to get at LEAST 200 miles out of one tank. I don't drive my car hard,and I won't ride the motorcycle hard,either! BTW,..my real name is Dewey,..but go by "R3man" here on the forums!

#7 ·
Check fuelly buddy - lots more data on there than you'll find here.
I get about 70 UK MPG (~60 US MPG) after about 1000 miles. Not as good as I hoped to be honest as I'm quite conservative. If there were less engine braking I think I would be able to do much better MPG.

#13 ·
Clickable signature link has all my costs and fillups.

Winter fuel makes a small increase in consumption (a few tenths of a litre per 100). For Canadians and Americans that look at the link, it's worth noting that unless otherwise noted, my fillups are with fuel without ethanol. I know, my bike's spoiled.

I love being able to do multi-hour rides on half a tank. So much fun, for so little penalité. :D

#16 ·
I don't how much petrol is in Europe or Canada, but here in the US haven't really had to worry at all about the mpg on the r3. I mean the engine is so small It gets way better mileage than any of my cars. I'm really happy with it current mpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

#20 ·
56mpg or so was my lowest, 60mpg is my average, best is now 63.1

#22 ·
#23 ·
After 210 miles so far, my new 2017 is getting about 55-60mpg and that's mixed riding, from sitting in traffic to 65mph freeway riding. After it breaks in, I want to do a 70mph freeway trip and see what it gets all freeway. With the other small bikes I've had(Rebel 250 and '09 Ninja 250), they would get in the mid 40's mpg with all freeway riding. I weigh 220lbs.

#33 ·
LOL, don't force yourself, you're making it sound like hard work. Half these eco-warriors probably live up in the mountains, pushing their bikes uphill each day then coast down with body tucked in, engine switched off and gear set the neutral with the clutch disengaged. :p

Carry-on riding how you want to ride it ... ride it like you've stole it :D

#35 ·
this hypermilling is new to me and i'm very interested, it's awesome what you learn from just browsing through forums like this. I'm definitely going to try this, my bike has some serious engine braking so I guess i'd have to clutch in to make this work, it surprises me that it would use less gas idling than slowing down in gear

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.