Am I too fat - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

7Likes

post #1 of 33 Old 02-24-2017, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Am I too fat

I really want to buy a R3 this July. I know I might want a bigger bike later but I want to learn on a R3 a d later give it to my wife.

I'm 5'11 and 275 pounds with normal clothes on. I'll never have a passenger.. but question I have is will a R3 even carry my and still move decently and not bottom out? I know I need to lose weight and am working on it. A year ago I was 330 pounds. I know I was almost too heavy then . Please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 02-24-2017, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
The suspensions will be a bit soft for you for sure, but that's easy to change. Springs are meant to be changed on bikes to suit your weight. Manufacturers usually set the suspensions out of the factory for someone that's around 150-180 lbs depending on the brand and model, so probably a lot of us are too heavy for it. Change your springs and you'll be fine.

Oh and good job on the weight loss and keep up the work! I've been struggling with it for years! I was at 240 at my worst, and now I'm around 215. Hoping to get to 200 but I've sort of hit a plateau :/

2007 ZZR600 (street bike)
2010 1198 (race bike, parted out across the country)
2006 CBR600 (street/track, sold)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike, future race bike hopefully)

Sponsors:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 Old 02-24-2017, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Congrats on the weight loss. There are some heavier riders or there on an R3. That said, haven't heard of anyone in your range with the exception of maybe one other guy on this forum. Can't remember his name but it had "wolf" in it so if you can find his posts then that should give some insight. If you have the preload set at max on the shock, the rear may work out. The front springs are def going to need swapping out to a heavier one. Another bike to consider for your weight might be the ninja 650. A used one can be had for the same price as a brand new R3, and some used 2012+ 650's are in the same range as the used R3's. That bike has really heavy fork springs, 1.1kg/mm if I recall correctly. That bike is a pretty good beginner/commuter bike as well so even if you pass it down to he wife, it should/could be beginner-friendly. Everyone is different, I moved from a 1999 ex500 to a 650 after 3000 miles. I'm 144 lbs on a good day and the bike never felt overwhelming to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 02-25-2017, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I looked online to see what kind of springs they had. Was not very successful in finding really anything.
post #5 of 33 Old 02-25-2017, 02:16 AM

Where did you look? Also, you have two posts of the same thing.
post #6 of 33 Old 02-25-2017, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Wheelock View Post
I looked online to see what kind of springs they had. Was not very successful in finding really anything.
Email Jesse at Yamahar3racing.com and he will get you sorted!

Awesome job on the weight loss, keep going. It gets easier if you stay commited

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #7 of 33 Old 02-25-2017, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
If this is your first bike you'll be fine on stock springs. The shock is preload adjustable. Not trying to say proper suspension isn't important, it is when you want it to be. Once you move past riding around your neighborhood or church parking lot, then YOU can decide if you need it or not. You'll probably find the suspension is just fine. Be careful out there and have fun. It's a good bike.

Edit: also want to add, respringing stock shock is a waste of time. It pogo sticks already as is under hard use. If you start upgrading suspension, do it right, and it's not cheap.

Last edited by Rockerphotographer; 02-25-2017 at 05:32 PM.
post #8 of 33 Old 02-25-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockerphotographer View Post
If this is your first bike you'll be fine on stock springs. The shock is preload adjustable. Not trying to say proper suspension isn't important, it is when you want it to be. Once you move past riding around your neighborhood or church parking lot, then YOU can decide if you need it or not. You'll probably find the suspension is just fine. Be careful out there and have fun. It's a good bike.
I would disagree with that. i am not sure what the exact spring weight is up front, but for a ~144 lbs rider the front definitely feels really soft. I can't imagine what it would be like for someone almost twice my weight would feel riding it.
sbk1198 likes this.
post #9 of 33 Old 02-25-2017, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojiiro View Post
I would disagree with that. i am not sure what the exact spring weight is up front, but for a ~144 lbs rider the front definitely feels really soft. I can't imagine what it would be like for someone almost twice my weight would feel riding it.
Agreed. If it's anything like the ninja 300s, it's too soft. I weigh considerably less than him and I bottom out the front end on the ninja 300s all the time (I ride a lot of them because that's what we have at the place where I teach MSF classes). Any hard braking combined with going over a little bump and I bottom out. I can only imagine weighing an extra 50 lbs would be a guarantee.

2007 ZZR600 (street bike)
2010 1198 (race bike, parted out across the country)
2006 CBR600 (street/track, sold)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike, future race bike hopefully)

Sponsors:
post #10 of 33 Old 02-25-2017, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
True enough, it's soft. But the guy's just starting out. Let him get a feel for it first, he might feel fine the way it is. We all ride differently. Changing springs only is still a waste for the benefit. Changing fork springs? Might as well drop some emulators in there too if you're going through the trouble. A stronger shock spring would definitely blow through any damping ability it has. OP also stated he just wanted to learn on it and then pass it on to his girl.

Morgan, if you're willing to spend any money at all, springs and emulators in the forks, replace rear shock with a single adjustable unit. If you do springs only, you won't be happy for the time and money spent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page