Adjusting the Paradigm - A 0-60 to get Excited About - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

post #1 of 16 Old 02-25-2017, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Adjusting the Paradigm - A 0-60 to get Excited About

First of all I am new to the forum and new to the R3 so hello, it's great to be here and I have learned a ton from you guys already! I love this R3 and it seems to be a great practical fun bike with a lot going for it that I will enjoy for years to come.

I've seen some posts about others wondering if you'll get tired of 320cc's or if it has enough power and it prompted this post which I have written not only for others but also as a reminder for myself if I get tempted to stray...

I believe others have correctly answered that it is all 'relative'. It truly does depend on your Paradigm or perspective.

To help put us R3 Guys in a happy contented Paradigm I have compiled the list below of some well known Bike's and Cars whose 0-60 times are right in line with the R3. I know 0-60 is'nt everything but it's pretty darn close.

It truly is amazing what Yamaha has done with 321cc's

MOTORCYCLES

2015 Yamaha R3
321cc Parallel Twin
0-60 in 5.1

2001 Harley-Davidson Softail Fat Boy
1450cc Twin Cam
0-60 in 5.0

2013 Triumph Thruxton
865cc parallel-twin
0-60 in 5.0

2007 Harley-Davidson Nightster
1,200-cc Evolution V-twi
0-60 in 4.8

2013 Star Bolt R-Spec
942ccV-Twin
0-60 in 4.8

2013 Honda CB500F
471cc paralleltwin engine
0-60 in 4.8

2007 Kawasaki Versys 650
650cc paralleltwin
0-60 in 4.9

CARS

2015 Dodge Challenger R/T
Super Charged V8
0-60 in 5.1

2000 Ford Mustang Roush Stage 3
Super Charged V8
0-60 in 5.0

2009 Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT S
High-Output V-8
0-60 in 5.0

2010 Jaguar XF 5.0 Premium
Premium V-8
0-60 in 5.0

0-60 Times from: http://www.zeroto60times.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-25-2017, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
I wouldn't go as far as saying 0-60 is anywhere near "close" to everything.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-25-2017, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a pretty neat list though. I don't bother having a go with anything really, just punch it when I need it to move around people.

post #4 of 16 Old 02-25-2017, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I agree with Kojiro. There many different things that make the r3 much different than other bikes and other cars regardless of similar speeds. Some things could be power (low end power, upper range power), comfort, what the vehicle is being used for (racing/cruising), etc. A lot of us didn't just buy the r3 for 0-60. I do understand what you are trying to say though. The r3 is a great bike for the money and can keep up with other bikes, but we bought it for various reasons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
post #5 of 16 Old 02-25-2017, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGuns View Post
I agree with Kojiro. There many different things that make the r3 much different than other bikes and other cars regardless of similar speeds. Some things could be power (low end power, upper range power), comfort, what the vehicle is being used for (racing/cruising), etc. A lot of us didn't just buy the r3 for 0-60. I do understand what you are trying to say though. The r3 is a great bike for the money and can keep up with other bikes, but we bought it for various reasons.
Oh yes for sure. Much more to a bike then it's speed but from what I have read it just seemed the common posts about "needing more" were related to torque / power. Very few posts focused on other aspects of the Bike causing them to need something more.

The R3 is definitely much more than it's 0-60 but I think this aspect is in the front of many of our minds as, after all, we are riding sport bikes

Personally I drive a Ford Focus so getting onto the R3 from that is awesome as I am then getting the same 0-60 as the 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T. Much better than thinking 'if only I had a Triple S..."
TheseGuns likes this.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-25-2017, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Garage
With around 15k in mods on my 07 G35x, I was running 0-60 in 4.9 and 1/4 miles in the high 12's to low 13's.

The numbers may be close but there was way more thrill in hammering the gas in the G than I've ever felt on the R3 but like others have said, that wasn't my intent or need with the bike.

Similar numbers or not, the bike just feels lackluster compared to my Infiniti and I'm totally okay with that.

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Lightech Rear Turns, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AesonVirus; 02-25-2017 at 10:56 PM.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-25-2017, 10:45 PM

I get the most thrills on the R3 passing 600's and sometimes liter bikes in the corners on a track. It's straight line speed for me is very lackluster, and to be honest even straight line speed on the ZX6R was relatively boring compared to just cornering on the R3.
giff74 and sbk1198 like this.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-25-2017, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I hear it a lot.. bigger bikes can't keep up with the smaller ones in the corners and I've seen a ton of videos to prove it. I don't ride a track though and don't want to ride the street dragging knee either. I do wish the bike had more straight line grunt though, and it's not because I want to go fast. I just want to get to speed quicker (cause it's fun)

I'm jealous of you guys with track experience. I'd explore it if I had more time and money to throw into yet another hobby.

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Lightech Rear Turns, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

post #9 of 16 Old 02-25-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AesonVirus View Post
I hear it a lot.. bigger bikes can't keep up with the smaller ones in the corners and I've seen a ton of videos to prove it. I don't ride a track though and don't want to ride the street dragging knee either. I do wish the bike had more straight line grunt though, and it's not because I want to go fast. I just want to get to speed quicker (cause it's fun)

I'm jealous of you guys with track experience. I'd explore it if I had more time and money to throw into yet another hobby.
The reason I think the bike has enough grunt for me is because in San Diego most 65 mph traffic zones actually have 75-85 mph traffic. I commuted on the R3 with that and never felt it didn't have enough passing power. It had less than my zx6r obviously but it still could pass. It could go over 100 if needed. Some people will say " but it doesn't have the passing power of your/my/his 600" and while that's true, my 600 did not have the same roll on power as a liter bike but that never caused me to think a 600 isn't enough on the street in San Diego. Some people actually think that 600's are somehow gutless bikes and don't have enough power for the street. Twist the throttle more?

Also, if you can, get the bike on a track. Best $150 you will spend motorcycling. It's so much fun.

Last edited by Kojiiro; 02-25-2017 at 11:12 PM.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-25-2017, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The R3 is plenty for commuting. In fact, I often times come up behind a car and wonder why they're going so slow and then glance down to see I'm actually 10-15 over the limit. The R3 feels slower than it actually is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page