Realistic thoughts on Chinese mods? - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

10Likes

post #1 of 16 Old 03-01-2017, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Realistic thoughts on Chinese mods?

I feel the wisdom waiting to hit me in the head. But some of you must have had good experiences too
I was thinking of getting SOME of my first mods over there
-Grips -levers -stickers
-tail tidy -windscreen - Led lighting

Coming from a student who just wants to get by but not completely break into pieces on the highway, am I just oblivious to the fact or is there an argument to be made for lower priced goods?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-01-2017, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Pretty much anything aesthetic, levers, sometimes leds. Tank pads. Spools They always cheap. In some occasions even the rear stand, but you can get one from harbor freight for 15. My company sells the attachment for the Harbor freight stands so you can put in on spools rather than to the subframe. As far as anything performance like brake pads, disks, clipons, I don't trust Chinese parts go for the quality stuff.
Kojiiro, cwick2000 and TMD5855 like this.

Last edited by TheseGuns; 03-01-2017 at 09:11 AM.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-01-2017, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. For my Versys, the windscreen, levers, turn signals, headlight shroud, and electrical items such as switches were poor quality. Brake discs were good.

For my Yamaha MT-03 (R3) the record is:

The tail tidy for my Yamaha is good.
S/S radiator guard good, (but I had to trim off some of the OEM plastic guard to fit properly.)
Tubular engine guard, good (once you figure out how to modify the mounting points on the front of the engine for a proper fit)
Spools for the rear axle stand, good.
Yamaha rear fender, junk, did not fit properly and it broke the first day.
Levers on the way and also an aluminum clutch cable adjuster since the stock plastic adjuster just split at the threads yesterday.

These are the levers I have on order:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252648850882...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Do not expect installation instructions on many products, you are sort of on your own, but most product installs are fairly simple to figure out.

The saying here is "Buy Chinese Cheap, Buy twice" and sometimes that is true. Sort of a crap shoot. Good luck,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 03-01-2017, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Garage
I've only ordered two items that were cheapo Chinese items.

Radiator Guard
Worked out great. Came without hardware but I have mine clipped in and held in place with two tiny zip ties up top. It just sits there and does what it does... no complaints.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motor-Stainl...FXchp~&vxp=mtr

Side Stand Pad
Complete POS. The material is super soft and the screws easily strip, so be careful. Once installed, fit is not perfect and the pad wiggles a little bit. It works for what I needed it to do. It improves the angle of the bike when on it's side stand and seems a little more stable, especially in dirt/gravel. It's a POS though.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Yamaha-Y...item2cba4f4c01
Kojiiro likes this.

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Lightech Rear Turns, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-01-2017, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
I wouldn't use on certain things, like calipers, master cylinder, rotors, pads, etc. Probably not on clip ons either. I have owned Chinese clip ins on another bike but won't do it again. Nothing bad happened, I just choose to no longer buy Chinese clip ons. I've used Chinese levers on 5 other bikes with no probs at all. I probably would do fork axle sliders, spools if the name brand stuff wasn't already cheap, maybe rearsets, brake lever guards. I'm not opposed to Chinese parts, but I am opposed to poor quality stuff. Sometimes no one has tried said part and we get to be the first to review.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-01-2017, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
My thoughts are always the same. If your life depends on it, do not buy chinese parts. If it is just decoration or anything that won't kill you when it fails, go for it.
Vannzann and TheseGuns like this.

Sadly, some people have no business riding a motorcycle.

2015 Z1000 / 2015 FZ-07 / 2015 R3
post #7 of 16 Old 03-01-2017, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Agreed. Chinese is for looks not for performance, but if you need something fabricated hmu. I own a fabrication shop, some little pieces are just impossible to find even Chinese.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
kiko, CT_Rider and Nubster like this.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-02-2017, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
I feel the wisdom waiting to hit me in the head. But some of you must have had good experiences too
I was thinking of getting SOME of my first mods over there
-Grips -levers -stickers
-tail tidy -windscreen - Led lighting

Coming from a student who just wants to get by but not completely break into pieces on the highway, am I just oblivious to the fact or is there an argument to be made for lower priced goods?
For great levers at a competitive price check out Jesse over at Yamahar3racing.com. He's a big supporter of the R3 community and I've been enjoying his levers for months. While you are there you could also get the R6 grips with the R6 throttle upgrade for so little money it's almost free!!!!

For a windscreen it's really hard to beat the double bubble from Zero Gravity.

Check out TST industries for the tail tidy and LED's.

"She's fast enough for you old man...."
post #9 of 16 Old 03-02-2017, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Garage
LoL. Check your stock wheels. Let me know what you find.

2015 Yamaha R3 (Blue/Silver)
2012 Honda CBR1000RR (HRC Edition)
post #10 of 16 Old 03-02-2017, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Garage
Most Chinese parts just don't fit as well as OEM or reputable suppliers. All of the items listed in the original post should be fine.
The fact that some people say "I wouldn't use Chinese levers/rearsets/clipons" means zero to me unless they actually have experience with the product they are talking about

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page