User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By cwick2000

post #1 of 7 Old 03-03-2017, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
R3 Engine Swap For Track Bike

Hey, I'm a student technician and when I graduate I want to build performance race vehicles and start a company based around it. So I picked the R3 as a starter bike to work with that I could build as a pure track bike and then my brother could race it after he goes through racing classes. Now my question is does anyone think that a Yamaha Banshee 350 engine would fit into the frame of a newer R3? If so I could have an air cold parallel twin 2 stroke and save weight by not having to have all of the electrical start equipment on the bike. Plus the sound would definitely be a good bonus considering my reasoning behind racing is for the experience and to impress potential customers. ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-03-2017, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
That doesn't sound like that great of an idea. Even though it's a 2-stroke engine they're pretty low on power, at least stock. They're only rated for about 37-39 hp, which is right on par with the R3...except for it's a 2-stroke, so it won't make **** for power until it gets really high in the rev range. It'll also sound annoying and will require a lot more maintenance. Most of us would rather have a reliable race bike even if we have to sacrifice a few pounds. On top of that, it will instantly become illegal for the majority of classes at most club racing organizations. In CCS, I can only think of 1 class off the top of my head that I think you could race in if you do an engine swap like that. Maybe 2 if you get some special permission, but most won't allow it. You'd be shooting yourself in the foot without gaining anything.

If weight is what you're after, there is a lot of weight to be shaved off the R3 without touching the engine. Lots of stuff can come off that's not needed, plus you can always get lighter clip-ons, wheels, rear sets, etc. You can get an R3 at around 300 lbs, maybe even less without touching the engine. If you really want to remove the starter, which I'm not sure how much that weighs, you can still do it. You just need something to start the bike with after that, like the things they use in MotoGP, Moto 2, Moto 3, etc.

2007 ZZR600 (street bike)
2010 1198 (race bike, parted out across the country)
2006 CBR600 (street/track, sold)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike, future race bike hopefully)

Sponsors:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-03-2017, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I would say it's a rather straightforward no-go. I highly doubt the engine would fit in the frame since they have pretty much completely different frame and size. Even IF somehow you manage to fit the engine in, you will not be able to fit the R3 fairing back on. There was a thread where they discuss about trying to fit an FZ/MT07 engine into R3 and concluded that it wasn't feasible, Check it out here: R3 Engine Swap FZ-07

post #4 of 7 Old 03-04-2017, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Why not look for an old FZR400 engine (59hp in stock trim)?
post #5 of 7 Old 03-04-2017, 06:45 PM

Now that I think about it, what does it say that the bike I bought back in 1993 while in college (ASU) had 50% more horsepower than the bike I own now? Yeah, 80cc more helps, but in 20 + years I feel like we should be getting 60hp and better mpg??

Am I missing something?
post #6 of 7 Old 03-04-2017, 06:55 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwick2000 View Post
Now that I think about it, what does it say that the bike I bought back in 1993 while in college (ASU) had 50% more horsepower than the bike I own now? Yeah, 80cc more helps, but in 20 + years I feel like we should be getting 60hp and better mpg??

Am I missing something?
Or how the CBR500 makes only about 43-45 hp stock, whereas the Ninja EX500 which has had the same motor from early 90s till 2009 makes about 10 hp more than that lol

Truthfully it's all because of reliability. These manufacturers can certainly make these little engines push out a lot more power...after all the KTM and Honda 250cc engines used in Moto 3 are pushing close to 60 hp! But they won't last at that level. Since these bikes are targeted as economical entry-level bikes, they want them to me reliable and smooth. They have the ability to make them better, but they don't want to bother. Just like with the big bikes...liter bikes are just now reaching that 200-hp mark, but in WSBK those same production based bikes were pushing 220-hp since the mid 2000s or so.

2007 ZZR600 (street bike)
2010 1198 (race bike, parted out across the country)
2006 CBR600 (street/track, sold)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike, future race bike hopefully)

Sponsors:
post #7 of 7 Old 03-04-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
Or how the CBR500 makes only about 43-45 hp stock, whereas the Ninja EX500 which has had the same motor from early 90s till 2009 makes about 10 hp more than that lol

Truthfully it's all because of reliability. These manufacturers can certainly make these little engines push out a lot more power...after all the KTM and Honda 250cc engines used in Moto 3 are pushing close to 60 hp! But they won't last at that level. Since these bikes are targeted as economical entry-level bikes, they want them to me reliable and smooth. They have the ability to make them better, but they don't want to bother. Just like with the big bikes...liter bikes are just now reaching that 200-hp mark, but in WSBK those same production based bikes were pushing 220-hp since the mid 2000s or so.
True, I guess putting 60 + hp in an R3 would have insurance companies freaked and emergency rooms full. still.....
giff74 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page