20Likes

post #1 of 38 Old 04-05-2017, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
What fuel do you use

Hello fellow R3ader's.

Since receiving my brand new bike on January 28th 2017, I have been reading the operators manual about the recommended type of fuel to use and I have pasted it below.

Recommended fuel:
Regular unleaded gasoline (Gasohol(E10) acceptable)
NOTICE:
Use only unleaded gasoline. The use of leaded gasoline will cause severe damage to internal engine parts, such as the valves and piston rings, as well as to the exhaust system.

Your Yamaha engine has been de- signed to use regular unleaded gasoline with a research octane number of 95 or higher. If knocking (or pinging) occurs, use a gasoline of a different brand or premium unleaded fuel. Use of unleaded fuel will extend spark plug life and reduce maintenance costs. Gasohol

There are two types of gasohol: gasohol containing ethanol and that containing methanol. Gasohol containing ethanol can be used if the ethanol con- tent does not exceed 10% (E10). Gasohol containing methanol is not recommended by Yamaha because it can cause damage to the fuel system or vehicle performance problems.

I have been using 98 and have now started hearing some knocking and popping noises. At that I have also found burnt fuel residue around the exhaust hole.
My bike has crossed the 2000km mark with its first service done as per the manual.

Now Im thinking about dropping down to 95 but before doing so, I would like to know other peoples opinions on this.

S;D
2016 R3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 04-05-2017, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Changing the octane won't matter much if you're above the knock threshold. I always run 93 here in the states (different measurement) versus the recommended minimum 87, there's no performance increase etc but in really hot weather if the motor starts to run hot it can help avoid knock.

I'd rather always have extra knock threshold, than not have enough If you were really knocking (actual engine knock) decreasing the octane would only make it worse. It's likely it's just normal noises not actual engine knock unless it's extremely hot. You will always see carbon build up near the exhaust tip, most modern 4 stroke engines (including cars) do this, you should see my car with the direct injection motor, it has more carbon/soot than anything you've ever seen haha.
post #3 of 38 Old 04-05-2017, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
I used to run 91, but now run 87.

There was a discussion about this a while back, and turns out some of the guys that race their R3's actually made more power running 87. So I made the switch.

Edit - Here's the thread Regular or premium fuel?
Kojiiro and BMiller like this.

CRT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 04-05-2017, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I use whatever the premium button is at gas stations. Honestly I don't know why but it's probably due to seeing people argue about it online everywhere I look.
post #5 of 38 Old 04-05-2017, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I'm in NZ too and I've been running it on 91 since new (20000km) without issues, so you shouldn't have any problems with using 95.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited by Paulie.online; 04-05-2017 at 08:36 PM.
post #6 of 38 Old 04-05-2017, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
I use what the engineers say is fine for it. They tested this bike and determined that 87 is fine, therefore, 87 is what she gets.
Kojiiro and Gizmo like this.
post #7 of 38 Old 04-06-2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie Linnell View Post
Your Yamaha engine has been de- signed to use regular unleaded gasoline with a research octane number of 95 or higher.
I thought I was going mad when I read the abovementioned text this morning, as I've been running 91 octane since new and I was sure that's what the ownership manual recommended. However, I've now double checked my ownership manual and it does say that I should use 91 or higher.

I'm guessing that Yamaha must have upped the octane recommendation since the initial release, since we're both from the same region and the only difference I can see is the model years (2015 vs 2017).

Kojiiro likes this.

Last edited by Paulie.online; 04-06-2017 at 12:23 AM.
post #8 of 38 Old 04-06-2017, 02:04 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Garage
I use Chevron gas.

2015 Yamaha R3 (Blue/Silver)
2012 Honda CBR1000RR (HRC Edition)
post #9 of 38 Old 04-06-2017, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie.online View Post
I thought I was going mad when I read the abovementioned text this morning, as I've been running 91 octane since new and I was sure that's what the ownership manual recommended. However, I've now double checked my ownership manual and it does say that I should use 91 or higher.

I'm guessing that Yamaha must have upped the octane recommendation since the initial release, since we're both from the same region and the only difference I can see is the model years (2015 vs 2017).

Hi Paulie.

Where are you from?

Mine is a 2016 but registered 1st in 2017.

S;D
2016 R3

Last edited by Corrie Linnell; 04-06-2017 at 03:23 AM.
post #10 of 38 Old 04-06-2017, 03:39 AM

I'm based in Auckland.

Corrie Linnell likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page