Looking at an R3 - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

22Likes

post #1 of 26 Old 04-07-2017, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Looking at an R3

Hey all, So I need some input.... I was originally set on a 2017 Blue R3 ($6100cdn) but I am having second thoughts. I have found a 2015 Black R3 ($4660cdn) that's still new at the dealer for about $1400 less. So in your opinions is the 2 year newer bike worth the extra $1200? From everything I have read the bike had no real changes over the years so I am basically just paying for the year.

Now to really throw a wrench into the mix I found a used 2015 with 3800kms on it for $3500. But the owner said it had been dropped once but was repaired. Pictures look good but I'm not convinced on buying used. I kinda want to be the first one to wreck stuff...

I do really like the blue color combo on the 17 but the more pictures I see of peoples black R3's the more I like them too.

Any help/guidance is appreciated. And not that it makes much of a difference but the plans for the bike are to keep it and ride it myself until I can convince the wife to get her licence. Then she will get it and I will get a different/new sub 400cc bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-07-2017, 03:46 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
The extra money over a newer bike in the same generation is, in my opinion, never worth it. I do not like the matte gray bikes. I don't hate it, I just feel it looks like primer almost lol. Guess what color my bike is? Gray, because it was what was available at the time when I was looking for a new bike. If the color matters that much, then sure, spend the extra money for the new bike with different colors. Or just buy a new set of fairings. They are cheap on this bike anyways.

If you get a new sub 400 bike, get the new cbr250rr and let me know how it works out! I was waiting for that bike here but they didn't release it so I bought another r3. Smaller actually. R25.

Edit:not sure how easy licensing is for you, but it's relatively easy in the states. With your logic you could be turning the keys over to the wife in a few weeks. The R3 is worth keeping for much longer IMO.

Last edited by Kojiiro; 04-07-2017 at 03:51 AM.
post #3 of 26 Old 04-07-2017, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
For her to get her licence she needs to take a weekend course and then pass the tests... Getting her licence wouldn't be the hard part. Convincing her its a good idea and that she should do it is where I am going to run into difficulties. Plus they don't even start offering the courses until mid May up here. And I may end up on an R3 as well, I mean matching bikes may be the convincing factor to get her to get that licence lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 04-07-2017, 04:11 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlehoe View Post
For her to get her licence she needs to take a weekend course and then pass the tests... Getting her licence wouldn't be the hard part. Convincing her its a good idea and that she should do it is where I am going to run into difficulties. Plus they don't even start offering the courses until mid May up here. And I may end up on an R3 as well, I mean matching bikes may be the convincing factor to get her to get that licence lol.
The R3 is a good bike weather you keep it or give it to her, but if she doesn't want to ride/shouldnt then I wouldn't press the issue. Some people aren't made to ride.
chelina likes this.
post #5 of 26 Old 04-07-2017, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
I wouldn't spend the extra on the color difference but I'm sure the price is somewhat negotiable. Honestly you can change the fairings out for $500 USD - of course you won't have the blue wheels then :P. There's actually some cool designs for custom fairing kits out there too.
Kojiiro likes this.
post #6 of 26 Old 04-07-2017, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
For North America, the only really new thing about the 2017 model is that there is optional ABS. Otherwise I'd just get a prior year for less price, assuming the recalls are completed already.
Kojiiro, Gizmo and Luhdacris like this.
post #7 of 26 Old 04-07-2017, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Save the $1400 on the bike (the newer one will just depreciate that much as soon as you title/register it). $1400 will take care of helmet/jacket/gloves/shoes and enough left over for a few mods.
Kojiiro and Gizmo like this.
post #8 of 26 Old 04-07-2017, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Get the 2015 at the dealer, save the $$, and spend it on riding gear. Probably still have warranty.
Unless your heart is set on blue...but that's a big jump in price for fundamentally the same bike. Plaster it in decals and make it your own.
...but the used with only 3800kms on the odometer could be good too. 3800kms is nothing, unless they've modified the heck out of it.
post #9 of 26 Old 04-07-2017, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
If this is your first bike ... go in as cheap as possible. Because it won't be your last bike!
post #10 of 26 Old 04-07-2017, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Get the Blue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page