User Tag List

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Travis Dykstra

post #1 of 6 Old 04-08-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
R3 issues with shifting

alright so my r3 got stolen and recovered I'm in the process of order and new clutch lever and perch for it. Shifter side rear set was damage so i replaced it. When up-shifting i have to pull the clutch in which is normal. My problem was driving the other day and i downshifted without hitting the clutch at all. is this normal? I've never done that prior but maybe i just never notice? or is there something wrong with tranny or belt tension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-08-2017, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmarin View Post
alright so my r3 got stolen and recovered I'm in the process of order and new clutch lever and perch for it. Shifter side rear set was damage so i replaced it. When up-shifting i have to pull the clutch in which is normal. My problem was driving the other day and i downshifted without hitting the clutch at all. is this normal? I've never done that prior but maybe i just never notice? or is there something wrong with tranny or belt tension

I'm not a mechanic, but I do know that is possible to shift up and down without using the clutch. Was your foot resting on the shift lever?
When light pressure is applied you can actually shift when the gears line up. I did this in a manny tranny Honda one time to get it to the shop when the cylinder went out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gizmo and Nubster like this.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-09-2017, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Garage
You can shift at any time without the clutch pulled in. If the gears are nearly in sync it will easily click into the next gear. Some people know their bike so well they can get away with this regularly. I myself pull in the clutch and never do clutchless shifts. You are fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-09-2017, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
is there something wrong with tranny or belt tension

The R3 is not a Hardley Ableson.

2015 Yamaha R3 (Blue/Silver)
2012 Honda CBR1000RR (HRC Edition)
post #5 of 6 Old 04-09-2017, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
It's normal to be able to downshift without the clutch if you have throttle applied when you hit the gear shift lever. I use this technique at the track on my R3. Heavy brake, pressure on the shift lever, blip the throttle and the bike shifts down a gear. Repeat as needed.

It's also helpful if your in the wrong gear (bogging) to just hit the shifter down with the throttle already applied. Poor mans quick shift!
post #6 of 6 Old 04-22-2017, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I have about 13k miles and 1 year on my r3. Just recently I noticed the bike is downshifting without touching it . I notice this is happening after about 2 second after a up shift in gears 1-3. I will admit that I ride this bike like I stole it... Most of the time 9k-12k shifts. The tank is a not so nice feeling between my legs...lol.

Today, after ropming around in the Twisties, the bike did not want to downshift from 5th when coming to a light. The classic rock the bike and play with the clutch was not getting it into gear either. Pushed it into the crosswalk and over to the side (lane splitting on a 3 laner). Turned it off, did some clutch pumps, and rolled back and forth with the clutch out to get it to register 4th.

Admittedly, even with my ride time and milage (10yrs, 100k+ miles) I am not very mechanically inclined, besides the basics chain adjustments, plugs, pipes, custom electrical work (headlights/retrofits/accessories).

If any of the more mechanically inclined members here know what may be the issue, please let me know! Hopefully I'm not stranded on the side of the road soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page