Push smart gauge and Harry's lap timer - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

7Likes

post #1 of 11 Old 04-15-2017, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Push smart gauge and Harry's lap timer

I saw an advertisement for a cool device called Push smart gauge. In doing some research now and was wondering if anyone has any experience on this relatively new device. Jesse blogged about a test unit last year and it appears to be in production and on back order now. My question for the smart gauge is that since it talks about Harry's lap timer, is that bundled with it or is that a separate purchase? The smart gauge looks good but expensive. I use a Virb XE ( unrelated, I have a second XE new in box for sale) for video and to record lap times and what not on the track. I have only used mine on one track day and have not had the luxury of more track days and more fiddling with it. For you guys running data loggers, at $399, is the Push smart gauge average/expensive/cheap compared to other loggers?

Second part of the post is for guys running Harry's lap timer, how easy is it to use? Can I run it with just an iPhone? I like how expandable it can be but I believe at the price it's set for, if you can use just an iPhone for data initially, that would make it quite a bargain for beginner track day riders.

At this point most track riders will tell beginner track day riders that they should focus on basics first rather than lap times and what not. I think we can agree that most people on a racetrack are there for improvement and in my opinion there comes a time when you need numbers to establish where you are so you can start your improvement process.

I think the smart gauge sounds like it could really be helpful for someone wanting to improve their track riding but at the price they are selling it for I am not sure yet. If I can sell the new Virb XE I have sitting around I will probably jump on a smart gauge. Hoping to hear from you HLT users, maybe that's all I need for right now.
VectorMT03 likes this.

Last edited by Kojiiro; 04-15-2017 at 07:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-15-2017, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
I'm confused, what is it that the "push smart gauge" does?
post #3 of 11 Old 04-15-2017, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VULGR View Post
I'm confused, what is it that the "push smart gauge" does?
It's a data logger. Video would explain better than me:

https://www.pushthelimit.net
VULGR likes this.

post #4 of 11 Old 04-15-2017, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
The guys at Rhoades Racing/Farrell Performance MotoAmerica team have used the Push device. You can buy them from MTR Cycles I believe with a bit of a discount. Personally I'm not really sold on them though. I've seen how it works from one of their many live videos since I follow Rhoades Racing on facebook, and to me it just looks like more flash without anything extra that other dataloggers have. It has this neat little feature of showing you in 3D what your path was around the track...which to be honest most other devices do too, except for this one does it in a cool 3D way, whereas others like my GPX Pro8 just shows a 2D view with a dot moving. You get the same thing in the end though. What I find more important is the channels that you can get data from. From what I've heard/seen, the Push does not actually connect to any channels on the bike, everything is done through the GPS, which means you lack some pretty important info. They look at lateral accelerations, which is great for cars, but on bikes it's pretty worthless since bikes lean into turns. The channels I have hooked up on my ZX6R to use with my GPX Pro logger is TPS, RPM, and brake pressure, in addition to the stuff that the GPS gets.

The TPS is important because it shows you where you open the throttle and how much. The brake pressure sensor measures actual pressure applied in the braking system, so it's not just a "on or off", or how GPS shows a green line if you're accelerating, and red line if you're decelerating. Mine actually shows where you got on the brakes and HOW HARD too. The reason I went with that option is because my intention was to have a really fast friend of mine ride my bike and do a couple of really fast laps, and then compare his data to mine. Knowing how hard he brakes, how late he brakes, and how soon he gets on the gas (especially at full gas) would show me where I need to really improve on to make up some time. Here's a chart after a bit of post-processing from my fastest lap at my home track. You can see that there really isn't much coasting going on...still a bit, but very little, meaning I go from full throttle to brakes right away, without coasting towards the turn. Normally you want to either be on the gas or on the brakes, although some turns at some tracks may require a bit of coasting simply due to their nature.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	51137  
Kojiiro likes this.

2007 ZZR600 (street bike)
2010 1198 (race bike, parted out across the country)
2006 CBR600 (street/track, sold)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike, future race bike hopefully)

Sponsors:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-15-2017, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
The guys at Rhoades Racing/Farrell Performance MotoAmerica team have used the Push device. You can buy them from MTR Cycles I believe with a bit of a discount. Personally I'm not really sold on them though. I've seen how it works from one of their many live videos since I follow Rhoades Racing on facebook, and to me it just looks like more flash without anything extra that other dataloggers have. It has this neat little feature of showing you in 3D what your path was around the track...which to be honest most other devices do too, except for this one does it in a cool 3D way, whereas others like my GPX Pro8 just shows a 2D view with a dot moving. You get the same thing in the end though. What I find more important is the channels that you can get data from. From what I've heard/seen, the Push does not actually connect to any channels on the bike, everything is done through the GPS, which means you lack some pretty important info. They look at lateral accelerations, which is great for cars, but on bikes it's pretty worthless since bikes lean into turns. The channels I have hooked up on my ZX6R to use with my GPX Pro logger is TPS, RPM, and brake pressure, in addition to the stuff that the GPS gets.

The TPS is important because it shows you where you open the throttle and how much. The brake pressure sensor measures actual pressure applied in the braking system, so it's not just a "on or off", or how GPS shows a green line if you're accelerating, and red line if you're decelerating. Mine actually shows where you got on the brakes and HOW HARD too. The reason I went with that option is because my intention was to have a really fast friend of mine ride my bike and do a couple of really fast laps, and then compare his data to mine. Knowing how hard he brakes, how late he brakes, and how soon he gets on the gas (especially at full gas) would show me where I need to really improve on to make up some time. Here's a chart after a bit of post-processing from my fastest lap at my home track. You can see that there really isn't much coasting going on...still a bit, but very little, meaning I go from full throttle to brakes right away, without coasting towards the turn. Normally you want to either be on the gas or on the brakes, although some turns at some tracks may require a bit of coasting simply due to their nature.
I'm googling your set up right now but getting slow results. How much did you spend? Do you hook it up to Harry's or no?
post #6 of 11 Old 04-15-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojiiro View Post
I'm googling your set up right now but getting slow results. How much did you spend? Do you hook it up to Harry's or no?
It's an XT Racing GPX Pro 8. Google will know it for sure. XT and AIM Solo DL are pretty much the most common options used by people as a cheaper datalogger option. The GPX Pro 8 runs in the $700 range retail and the Pro 4 is in the $600 range. I got mine used for $450 if I recall. Occasionally they pop up for sale on the WERA forum or other places for around $400-500 and they sell right away. And no, it has nothing to do with Harry's. Harry's lap timer is just a phone app, although I've heard pretty good things about it...but it essentially just uses the GPS and accelerometer in your phone.
Kojiiro likes this.

2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)

Sponsors:
post #7 of 11 Old 04-16-2017, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
It's an XT Racing GPX Pro 8. Google will know it for sure. XT and AIM Solo DL are pretty much the most common options used by people as a cheaper datalogger option. The GPX Pro 8 runs in the $700 range retail and the Pro 4 is in the $600 range. I got mine used for $450 if I recall. Occasionally they pop up for sale on the WERA forum or other places for around $400-500 and they sell right away. And no, it has nothing to do with Harry's. Harry's lap timer is just a phone app, although I've heard pretty good things about it...but it essentially just uses the GPS and accelerometer in your phone.
From reading about it, at its most basic level, HLT does use your phones gps and accelerometer for data. It can take other inputs though from my understanding and use that to overlay your data along with video.

For brake pressure, how does your logger gather that data (psi)?
post #8 of 11 Old 04-16-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
From reading about it, at its most basic level, HLT does use your phones gps and accelerometer for data. It can take other inputs though from my understanding and use that to overlay your data along with video.

For brake pressure, how does your logger gather that data (psi)?
They sell a sensor for it that you mount inline with the master cylinder. It's pretty much just a basic pressure transducer.
Kojiiro likes this.

2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)

Sponsors:
post #9 of 11 Old 04-16-2017, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
They sell a sensor for it that you mount inline with the master cylinder. It's pretty much just a basic pressure transducer.
Good to know. I'm no where near that level of riding yet though.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-16-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Good to know. I'm no where near that level of riding yet though.
Me neither. I'm just a big nerd and I like to make pretty charts with random data lol

2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)

Sponsors:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page