Are all R3s 50-state emissions legal? - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 10 Old 04-17-2017, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are all R3s 50-state emissions legal?

I'm a new rider. I've taken the MSF and am looking to buy an R3, but I live in the middle of San Francisco and don't want to be getting used to the bike in this traffic. I'd like to buy my R3 in another state (Idaho) where I'll be visiting some friends, have some time to ride it there, then ship it to SF. However, I've read the CA "new bike" registration rules, and I'll need a CA emissions sticker. However, a bike purchased from another state may/likely won't have this sticker.

My questions are:

1) Are all U.S. R3s 50-state legal?
2) If I don't have the CA emissions sticker, can I prove to the DMV that the R3 is CA-compliant by the VIN number?

It is surprisingly difficult to find an answer to these questions. Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-18-2017, 03:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
Yes, as long as you buy the R3 in the US, it's 50-state legal.

If you're buying the R3 in Idaho and shipping it here, it has to have at least 7,500 miles I believe.

Other than that, you shouldn't have issues registering in California. Just take it to the DMV, they'll do a quick inspection and you'll be on your way.

CRT
post #3 of 10 Old 04-18-2017, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Thank you naripsra! Is there any way to document the R3 is 50 state legal? Nothing on Yamaha's website.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-18-2017, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Wait, don't motorcycles from outside of California have to have 7500 miles on the odo first? Or is that only if they *aren't* 50-state legal?
post #5 of 10 Old 04-18-2017, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Obligatory I'm not from California, but there seems to be a loophole here. Since the r3 is designed nationwide to meet 50 states legality (charcoal canister system) it shouldn't be an issue if it has less than 7500 miles.

Also, the manual references this drawing, fig 7-10, regarding the California model. This is the Evap canister, which all US bikes have.

In all honesty though, it just makes more sense to buy in state with the abundance of bikes there unless you are getting a huge savings
post #6 of 10 Old 04-18-2017, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Garage
The DMV will have to do an inspection on the bike to tag it. You will be fine without a sticker. Just show them everything that is meant to be there is. They will pass it.

They only care about obvious $#!^ that is not proper. They are very easy on the inspections. Its VERY quick. They walk out try to assess in seconds if its been modified or does not look right. They will ask you to start it and you are done.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-18-2017, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I'd just buy one here. With minimal help, you can get in some safe practice sessions, even in SF. Are you on BARF? There are plenty who will help you get started. Buying in another state, shipping, DMV hassles - not worth it.

CJ
post #8 of 10 Old 04-18-2017, 04:51 PM

I didn't know about the "at least 2 years old" part, wonder who lobbied for that rule, lol.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-18-2017, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all this. I agree rule says no 7.5k requirement if ca emissions compliant, which all U.S. r3s appear to be. I also pulled the carb executive order for the 321 engine/r3 model number, and all looks good providing that the vin doesn't flag the particular R3 as being different than that certified by carb.

I'm not buying out of state to save money (I'll have to pay difference in sales tax anyway), but rather, to give myself time on bike during a vacation away from SF traffic. Current plan is to use bike for a week, then drive back myself, about 800m in three days. Whether that's a good idea probably a topic for a different thread ?
post #10 of 10 Old 04-19-2017, 12:38 AM

Yeah, are you prepared for traveling through various climates for 800 miles? Don't freeze, and don't dehydrate, and don't run out of gas in the middle of nowhere. If you find out at 200 miles that your back or butt aren't quite up to long distances just yet ...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page