Track day questions - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

10Likes

post #1 of 30 Old 05-14-2017, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Track day questions

I noticed there are quite a few trackriders and racers on this forum, with quite a bit of knowledge to Share. I have been riding for about 3 years and 7 months now and done 5 track days. My first two in California were absolutely awesome and even though it was just a trqckday, the organization Trackdaz offers free classroom for people like me looking to take in more information.

I went to a track day yesterday and felt pretty good about it but came to he conclusion that I am not learning anything anymore ( by this I don't mean I have absorbed every piece of knowledge available, rather I just don't have a mentor or instructor to show me more/give different approaches to my same problems) because of lack of a classroom environment and not always having a more experienced rider to coach me. Twist of the wrist and books will only take you so far. Having someone watch your riding really helps.

I have quite a few questions that maybe you track addicts and racers can answer and hopefully this thread will help out anyone else looking to improve on what skill set they have now. So, TL/DR, here are a few starting questions.

Stability: I was watching a few of the fast guys out there ( honestly most of the people out there were blazing fast. The only person I was faster was a female on an S1000 lol) and watching them leaned over in a corner, the bike is stable and only leans as much as they put input into it. I have experienced that on my bigger bikes. The current R25 seems twitchy/unstable/overly eager to take inputs and I am wondering if that is a function of the rider being light on the bars, or if the R3 is just naturally really sensitive to input. That is something I need to get used to. I don't want to band aid that with a steering damper but the thought of more stability with a damper has crossed my mind before.

Tire wear: I've taken both sides of the rear to the very edge but looking at the pictures, the left side has less wear than the right. I think that's because I feel much better hanging off on lefties, therefore a more upright bike on left turns.

There are a few big turns that I can take at xxx speed but I just know a rider can go faster through. I get passed on these turns quite a bit. If I am at the edge of my rear tire already, how do I go about going around that corner faster? I've heard it's ok to go past the edge of the rear, that the front is really the way to know if you are at the limits of traction, but I don't know if that info is correct.

I cannot for the life of me hang off properly on right handers. I'm sure most of you guys have a preference but how do you overcome it and start doing it correctly on both sides? Just practice more?

I have more questions and am sure that more will come up, but hopefully I haven't bored you guys to death with what I have written. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Kojiiro; 05-14-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 05-14-2017, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
I can come coach you next time I'm in Yokkaichi....just pay for me to come over/stay/eat hahahaa
Kojiiro likes this.

AFM #723
2017 Sponsors:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 30 Old 05-14-2017, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Garage
Hook up with a good suspension person in your area. Your tire looks like it has some rebound issues.

Suspension is one of the best things to address on your bike to feel more comfortable and faster on the bike.

Body position is also really important. Especially on these little bikes. They are very twitchy because of the narrow tires. It is something you need to get use to. Although, suspension can go a long way to making the bike feel more stable.

Try to get all your movement PRIOR to getting to the corner. Meaning if you have your left butt cheek hanging off the bike for a left turn and you have another left turn coming up keep the left cheek off instead of getting back into a straight body position. You can be tucked and still have part of your butt hanging off the bike. You don't want to be moving around so much when you are coming into a corner and braking. If you are already set up body wise the bike will become more stable. Hope that all makes sense.

I will try to say more later. I hate typing on my phone though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Kojiiro and matrix22 like this.

Like me on Facebook at

post #4 of 30 Old 05-14-2017, 08:25 PM

Garage
I should add, your tires aren't the problem but the tire wear shows your shock has some rebound issues.

Like me on Facebook at

post #5 of 30 Old 05-14-2017, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Fuckin piece of **** forum!! I spent like 20-30 minutes typing up this big long post and then it gave me an error when I hit reply saying it was "too much content"!
Kojiiro likes this.

2007 ZZR600 (street bike)
2010 1198 (race bike, parted out across the country)
2006 CBR600 (street/track, sold)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike, future race bike hopefully)

Sponsors:
post #6 of 30 Old 05-14-2017, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
In terms of stability and twitchiness- when are you experiencing the issues? Corner entry, braking, apex, exit, acceleration etc? These bikes are definitely more twitchy than my 600's & 1000's but if you feel it is too twitchy then maybe raise the front (or lower the rear) by a few millimeters. The twitchiness will be exacerbated by too much input into the bars rather than being light on them (it's amazing how heavy most people are on the bars even when they think they are light). Also (as mentioned already) changes in body position at the wrong time can make the bike extremely unstable.
Tire wear- as people have mentioned to you, there is plenty of grip well past when you use all of your "chicken strips", the s20evo's gave great feedback when I used them when you were running out of edge grip. I definitely would not use the chicken strips on the front tire as an indicator of how far you can lean the bike over- the front and rear tires work very differently and have very different profiles. Improved Body positioning will also allow you to carry more corner speed with less angle- once again this is something people always think they are doing better than they actually are, good idea to look at photographs from the track photographer.
It terms of favoring left corners more than right corners this will just require more seat time and you'll probably find that you'll still prefer lefts. Riding different tracks may help this
Kojiiro likes this.
post #7 of 30 Old 05-14-2017, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys!

Sorry to hear about losing the entire post sbk.

As far as suspension guy , I'm going to try and find if there is one. I know for sponsored org open track days, they may get coaches and a tire/ suspension guy but for regular days I have not noticed one in the 3 times I've been here. I messed with the suspension rebound a bit, but without my set up sheet, I'm stuck with trying to find out if I should increase or decrease rebound. The set up sheet helps get it close but the guys at Computrack Boston have not replied to me since selling me the K Tech which is unfortunate because we were talking almost daily until I bought it. It was like " wow this is great customer/vendor communications" until the shock sold. If they are busy, I get it. But no replies at all in an average customers eyes is going to look like they just wanted to make a sale and move on.

As far as front tire chicken strips, I lowsided at chuckwalla thinking I could lean the bike over some more. That bike definitely still had some strips up front. I probably could have hung off more, straightened the bike up, and made the corner. Lots of newbie/ inexperienced mistakes made there but lesson learned.

I agree with people thinking they are leaned over less than they are. I barely, if at all hang off the right but I feel that I am doing just as good as a left. I definitely hang off on lefties. It may not be the best BP, but I'm getting off the bike. Just need to practice more perfectly. A lot of the guys here look awesome. I will dedicate one session on a video next time I go.

To answer on where I am getting the twitchiness, let me hold back and wait to see if it's just me putting in too much input to the bars, weather it's from a non- relaxed grip or me just making unnecessary mid term adjustments.

Doc Ram, I will have to decline on the plane ticket but I'm game to house you if you really do fly over lol.

Last edited by Kojiiro; 05-14-2017 at 10:46 PM.
post #8 of 30 Old 05-15-2017, 01:14 AM

Garage
One cheek off is my rule. Don't need your whole body hanging off.

Don't just practice at the track. Work on mental preparation. Go through a lap in your mind practicing what you need to do with your body and bike. Meaning body position and everything you need to do with the bike. From down/up shifting, clutch, brakes, throttle, etc. Mental prep is HUGE! Just watch the pre race shows. You can sometimes see the riders going through the track in their mind. Some move their head from side to side while they go through their perfect lap.

Your problem with Computrack is exactly why I have decided to keep my suspension local.

Check the track day organizations Web site to see if anyone is doing suspension at the track days. Otherwise ask around who us good in the area for set up.

Still on my phone so that is it for tonight.

Kojiiro likes this.

Like me on Facebook at

post #9 of 30 Old 05-15-2017, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Everyone here has addressed all of the other issues you have asked about and most of them are more knowledgeable than myself, but I'll just address one thing...

>the left side has less wear than the right.

Is your track running clockwise? I bet it has more right turns than left.
post #10 of 30 Old 05-15-2017, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineeringAnon View Post
Everyone here has addressed all of the other issues you have asked about and most of them are more knowledgeable than myself, but I'll just address one thing...

>the left side has less wear than the right.

Is your track running clockwise? I bet it has more right turns than left.
It is clockwise yeah. It's Sodegaura forest raceway. The odd thing is they never change orientation of the track.

Also, just found a bunch of podcasts from Ken Hill. There are like 43+ podcasts. Only listened to 1 but it sounds like sound advice, and they are free.
torrid_pace likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page