User Tag List

17Likes

post #1 of 29 Old 05-15-2017, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up new R3 break in woes

hello,

I just got my R3 and i'm trying really hard to break it in right... my problem is that I need to take a freeway for about 15 minutes twice a day and it's been really hard to go with the flow of traffic when I need to stay under 7k (for prolonged periods) which puts me at about 60-65mph, getting passed left and right by vehicles is not fun on a bike

i've been following this post: www (dot) r3-forums (dot) com/forum/713-yamaha-r3-how-diy/3978-r3-break-procedure (dot) html
which references this: www (dot) mototuneusa (dot) com/break_in_secrets (dot) htm

so I've done a little bit of going thru the gears putting some pressure on it and engine breaking, never redline yet and trying so hard to keep it under 7k for prolonged periods, but what about keeping it at exactly 7-7.5k for 15 minutes?

is my freeway ride twice a day going to cause serious damage to my break in procedure? while i'm on the freeway trying to stay under 7k, i occasionally pin it to 8.5kish then engine break back down to 7k just to keep it inconsistent, is this good or should i stop that?

thank you anyone who can offer advice to me breaking in a bike for the first time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 05-15-2017, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Just do it. As long as it isn't hours of highway it's fine.

Also, don't be afraid to rev the bike. The manual(if Im not mistaken) says to avoid long durations above 7k,8.5k etc. This means you can occasionally get up there near redline. It wont hurt it.

For what it's worth, plenty of guys have broken in there bikes on the track. I have beat the piss out of mine from day 1 on the street and it is still going strong after 16k miles.
Gizmo, Thegrumpytenant and buradd like this.
post #3 of 29 Old 05-15-2017, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Not talking specific to this engine, but most engines are just about fully broken in after 4-5 heat cycles.
Thegrumpytenant likes this.

post #4 of 29 Old 05-15-2017, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Garage
I bought my R3 in another state. I had to ride it for 3 hours on the highway as soon as it left the dealer.
I varied the speed and rpm's the whole way. I tried to keep it around 7k rpm for most of the trip.
It did great. No issues. So don't worry about it. Just ride it and have fun. It will be fine.
Gizmo and buradd like this.

2015 Yamaha R3 (Blue/Silver)
2012 Honda CBR1000RR (HRC Edition)
post #5 of 29 Old 05-16-2017, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
250 miles on mine so far.. I think I saw the shift light 2 or 3 times so far and I use all the gears frequently.. Again, just try and not sustain same RPMs for long periods.. I'd say 15mins is just fine. Do not believe I have even redlined it yet though.. I do not remember what RPM the shift light comes on.. LOL.
Kevin Carver Jr. likes this.

--

2017 R3 Team Yamaha Blue
post #6 of 29 Old 05-16-2017, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Probably the worst thing you can do to a new motor is to lug the engine. Keep your rpms up and no harm in hitting 11k a few times a day. Just don´t cruise at high rpms,
post #7 of 29 Old 05-16-2017, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
As everyone else mentioned the best thing to do is keep varying RPM's... just don't let it sit at ANY rev for an extended period of time while riding and breaking in. I rode my R3 like I stole it for break-in (I always believe in hard break in) and have no problems.

Best ways to break in a new motor to properly seat the rings, high load I.E. accelerating up a hill.
Kojiiro likes this.
post #8 of 29 Old 05-16-2017, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Garage
omega - I disagree with pretty much everything you just said.
TMD5855 likes this.

2015 Yamaha R3 (Blue/Silver)
2012 Honda CBR1000RR (HRC Edition)
post #9 of 29 Old 05-16-2017, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My buddy breaks in new motors by holding them at 2000rpm for 20 minutes. Then shuts it off and lets it cool completely. Then he takes it out and brake torques it while driving a bit to put a load on the motor and then does some compression braking. Both of those are to get cylinder pressures up and some good vacuum to seat the rings.

Now breaking in a motorcycle engine where your clutch and transmission are in the same oil as the motor, I dont know enough about that so I am taking it a bit easy on mine, not to say I didnt get on it a bit today, but I think 8k RPM was the most it saw and I did some good engine braking as well.
post #10 of 29 Old 05-16-2017, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRpilot View Post
omega - I disagree with pretty much everything you just said.
Any reason why? I've seen break ins where they rev the crap out of the engines. There are videos of F1 engines doing this. There are videos of bike engines being revved high from the factory. I read the article here http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm and he touched on the same thing, don't stay at the same rpm, high revs are ok, and he at the least had pics to back up his claims.

Are you saying just don't run high revs? What are you disagreeing with? He says vary the rpm and you said the same but you disagree? Properly seating the rings is something you do want to happen but you disagree?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page