Buzzieness - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

post #1 of 17 Old 09-14-2015, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Buzzieness

I am very interested in the R3. Years ago I owned a Kawasaki Ninja 250 that served me well. I learned to ride on it but sold it for a little more power (Suzuki SV650) and one other major reason.............buzzieness. My hands would go numb after a while on the highway. I had to put foam grips on the bar ends and wear gel work out gloves to make it managable. How is the R3 at highway speeds, say 70 to 75mph? Do you feel the engine vibrations at all through the bars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-14-2015, 01:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I was riding home from work yesterday and zooming along at 150kph. I did not feel anything different at all, just pure exhilaration at the ease of speed and the mobility too

MonoXimian
post #3 of 17 Old 09-14-2015, 03:10 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Release your death grip.

I feel nothing except gentle tip in to corners..
Bikes go in a straight line all by themselves.
Standard grips are nice as they give feedback.

I blame the Internet.

post #4 of 17 Old 09-14-2015, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
You can feel vibes a bit, but not enough to make you go numb. I ran over 400 miles in one day with the only issue being my butt was getting a bit tired around the last 60/miles because the seat is a little hard.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-14-2015, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
The R3 has a balance shaft so the vibes are less than the Ninja 250.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-14-2015, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Garage
Grip Puppies

I install grip puppies (foam grips) on all my bikes. Not as much for the vibrations, but to build up the grip diameter. My hands do not like the small diameter of stock sportbike grips. The grip puppies do a good job of absorbing vibrations.

I come from the Kawasaki Versys which is quite vibey. The R3 is smooth as silk in comparison.
marcparnes likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Want to be added?

Gear Up & Ride Safe!
post #7 of 17 Old 09-14-2015, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
All bikes buzz imp, just at different RPMs. My zx6r buzzed at high rpm. You could see it in the mirrors. My last ninja 650 you could somewhat feel and definitely hear at 4k rpm. Same as the 650 before that. Current R3 you don't really feel but you definitely see in the mirrors. As far as hand being numb, be loose on the bars. Someone once tdold me to grip it like you are throwing an "ok" sign, with thumb and forefinger.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-14-2015, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
That's good advice kojiiro, any time I'm on a long ride I find myself with two points of contact on each side. Say the tip of my fingers and part of my palm. I regularly go for rides of 6-8 hours a day and its the only way to not have your hands get tired. If I do happen to have my hand wrapped fully around I make sure to stay loose!
post #9 of 17 Old 09-14-2015, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
I have that problem every time I ride more than 15 minutes or so. My right hand goes numb. It's not a death grip, it's called having to hold into it tight enough to work the throttle. My Majesty never did that so its not like I don't know how to ride. I've got over 10 years riding under my belt.

So yes, for me, it is buzzy.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-14-2015, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR3 View Post
I have that problem every time I ride more than 15 minutes or so. My right hand goes numb......
Highly recommend. Will be the best $11 you spend. Cut the grip to length and use a cup of water with a few drops of liquid dish soap. Use this mix to lube the inside of the grip and slide it on. Will not move and can be removed later by cutting them off if need be.

Want to be added?

Gear Up & Ride Safe!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page