Ugly fender? A life saver? - Page 3 - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

11Likes

post #21 of 32 Old 03-30-2016, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Yahoo to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Skype™ to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY
Man, glad you're ok. Funnily enough, recently I've been smitten with finally putting in my fender eliminator kit, LED turn signals, and front flushmount LED turn signals. I delayed the project because I was torn between the robust and sturdy Vagabond FE kit or the TST Industries clean and minimalist FE kit. I also bought the front flushmount LED turn signals from TST in December and was holding off installation for the Halo-1's, but the "Coming Soon" status hasn't changed in months, so I said eff it. I'll swap them out when the Halo's are released.

Anyway, my mantra in a car is "worry what's in front of you." Doesn't matter what's behind you. People freak if you tailgate them in a car, but if you rear end someone or get rear ended, it is the "rear ender's" fault 100%. Hence, the mantra. On a bike, I say worry what's around you 360 degrees 100% of the time. My older brother (R.I.P. bro) taught me to ride, and would freak if people tailgated him while riding a bike. He'd ride up to the driver side, smack the window and say "Don't fucking tailgate bikes-we brake twice as fast!" Nowadays, you never know who is in the car and people gun people down over simple arguments. If someone is riding me, I wave them back. If they don't respond, I try to do a few quick successive brake light flashes to spook them. If that doesn't work, I let them pass or try something more drastic akin to my brother's method.

People are just dumb. Really, in the US, the driver instruction & training needs to be better and the licensing requirements and testing more stringent. This country freaks at drug deaths and gun deaths, and rightfully so, but usually overreacts, and what happens is a lot of collateral damage and unintended consequences. For example, alcohol is socially acceptable yet is involved in lots of incidents of assaults, brawls, thefts, domestic violence, car crashes, addiction, and death. Reefer madness is so entrenched and while being a rather benign drug, the nanny state of America tries prohibition which doesn't work as alcohol has shown-but cops and prisons love it because it creates more jobs and work for them yet it creates a black market, criminals get rich off of it, and so more deadly "legal" alternatives like K2 arise. I see so many incompetent drivers, it is ridiculous. There are daily accidents in NY, and it causes nightmarish gridlock.

****, on a daily basis, I see people needing ground guides to parallel park. Cars and trucks are ostensibly huge metal "weapons" and need to be respected. heck, on the news today, 21 people have died this year due to CO2 poisoning-why? Because the push button start/stop is confusing to people and they forget to turn off their cars and it fills the garage and then the house with deadly gases/ Are you kidding me? Lights, engine noise, etc aren't enough of a cue? Sometimes, I lose hope in humanity when I hear stories like this. But I digress.

Anyway, I try to be a motorcycle ambassador and dispel the negative generalizations and stereotypes of bikers. However, if there is a idiot endangering lives, I might get a bit animated trying to prove a point. Change takes a lot, but if you can, write to your politicians and try to push for more stringent driver training, testing, and licensing. I do, along with harsher punishments for animal abusers who are pure scum to me. BE careful out there. Remember to go over your pre flight checks and stay locked in out there. People are idiots.
giff74 and Bash22 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 Old 03-30-2016, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acvdc View Post
Also yes I was told he received a driving without a license ticket, and it was close to being a brawl in the street the kid was just so disrespectful, all he cared about was me telling insurance his mom was driving so he wouldn't get blamed cuz he didn't have a lic. When I told him imma let the cops deal with it he began throwing out insults and then PD had just been driving by and stopped, it definitely coulda been worse. This is my first accident ever but if a majority of people are like this after an accident i am staying home lol JKJK but still I don't see how people can disregard that they just possibly hurt someone and only care about what happens to there record.
Ok now I am confused lol. Post one says you were talking to police and he hit you, but here you mention you were talking with him and then the PD drove by and then stopped?

Also, what flew out from the vehicle and hit you so hard it bruised you through the jacket and foam. That must have been quite a hit, from a stationary bike and a moving vehicle.
post #23 of 32 Old 03-30-2016, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0b0tN1nja_BKNY View Post
Man, glad you're ok. Funnily enough, recently I've been smitten with finally putting in my fender eliminator kit, LED turn signals, and front flushmount LED turn signals. I delayed the project because I was torn between the robust and sturdy Vagabond FE kit or the TST Industries clean and minimalist FE kit. I also bought the front flushmount LED turn signals from TST in December and was holding off installation for the Halo-1's, but the "Coming Soon" status hasn't changed in months, so I said eff it. I'll swap them out when the Halo's are released.

Anyway, my mantra in a car is "worry what's in front of you." Doesn't matter what's behind you. People freak if you tailgate them in a car, but if you rear end someone or get rear ended, it is the "rear ender's" fault 100%. Hence, the mantra. On a bike, I say worry what's around you 360 degrees 100% of the time. My older brother (R.I.P. bro) taught me to ride, and would freak if people tailgated him while riding a bike. He'd ride up to the driver side, smack the window and say "Don't fucking tailgate bikes-we brake twice as fast!" Nowadays, you never know who is in the car and people gun people down over simple arguments. If someone is riding me, I wave them back. If they don't respond, I try to do a few quick successive brake light flashes to spook them. If that doesn't work, I let them pass or try something more drastic akin to my brother's method.

People are just dumb. Really, in the US, the driver instruction & training needs to be better and the licensing requirements and testing more stringent. This country freaks at drug deaths and gun deaths, and rightfully so, but usually overreacts, and what happens is a lot of collateral damage and unintended consequences. For example, alcohol is socially acceptable yet is involved in lots of incidents of assaults, brawls, thefts, domestic violence, car crashes, addiction, and death. Reefer madness is so entrenched and while being a rather benign drug, the nanny state of America tries prohibition which doesn't work as alcohol has shown-but cops and prisons love it because it creates more jobs and work for them yet it creates a black market, criminals get rich off of it, and so more deadly "legal" alternatives like K2 arise. I see so many incompetent drivers, it is ridiculous. There are daily accidents in NY, and it causes nightmarish gridlock.

****, on a daily basis, I see people needing ground guides to parallel park. Cars and trucks are ostensibly huge metal "weapons" and need to be respected. heck, on the news today, 21 people have died this year due to CO2 poisoning-why? Because the push button start/stop is confusing to people and they forget to turn off their cars and it fills the garage and then the house with deadly gases/ Are you kidding me? Lights, engine noise, etc aren't enough of a cue? Sometimes, I lose hope in humanity when I hear stories like this. But I digress.

Anyway, I try to be a motorcycle ambassador and dispel the negative generalizations and stereotypes of bikers. However, if there is a idiot endangering lives, I might get a bit animated trying to prove a point. Change takes a lot, but if you can, write to your politicians and try to push for more stringent driver training, testing, and licensing. I do, along with harsher punishments for animal abusers who are pure scum to me. BE careful out there. Remember to go over your pre flight checks and stay locked in out there. People are idiots.
Holy rant mobile, Rant Man.

Not going to nit pick too much, but I used to think bikes can out brake most cars. I read/ saw a video somewhere showing the opposite, mainly because A) it's harder to flip a car, B) cars have 4 contact patches on the street(bigger ones at that) vs the 2 credit card sized patches on our bikes.

post #24 of 32 Old 03-30-2016, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojiiro View Post
Holy rant mobile, Rant Man.

Not going to nit pick too much, but I used to think bikes can out brake most cars. I read/ saw a video somewhere showing the opposite, mainly because A) it's harder to flip a car, B) cars have 4 contact patches on the street(bigger ones at that) vs the 2 credit card sized patches on our bikes.
And cars can stand up all by themselves.

I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
post #25 of 32 Old 03-30-2016, 07:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Yahoo to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Skype™ to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY
Yeah, depends on the car, bike, parts, reaction distance, etc. Generally, I am going to say motorcycles have the edge because riders are usually more locked in, have quicker reaction time generally, and practice and employ different braking techniques be it front only, both, panic braking, etc. A light car like a Honda Fit, yeah. In NY people like to overcompensate and have large sedans and huge SUVs. That or they have a Porsche, M5, Audi R8, Ferrari, and the like, and it's usually a septuagenarian retiree driving their $100K plus car in the right lane 48 mph. The roads here are inundated with Land Rovers, Pathfinders, Escalades, along with the largest SUVs money can buy along with compacts and hybrids here and there. But braking for cars has improved a lot with modern cars. Even the cheapest cars have pretty decent disc brakes and braking systems. Part of the issue with real world practice and scenarios is the smaller silhouette and brake lights which I think affects car/truck drivers reaction time. So no matter the braking distance, there is no reason anyone should ride a bikes ass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 32 Old 03-30-2016, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Really glad to hear you made it through OK. Riding a bike is a scary job these days.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

"She's fast enough for you old man...."
post #27 of 32 Old 03-31-2016, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Make sure the insurance adjuster includes everything that could have been damaged as a result of the impact. Sometimes the motorcycle develops more problems than is actually seen by the eye. i.e. transmission, frame slightly bent and who know what else.

1965 Honda S90
1966 Honda 305
1974 Honda 750
1983 Honda V65 Magna
1992 Yamaha V-MAX
2015 Yamaha YZF R3
post #28 of 32 Old 03-31-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acvdc View Post
Also yes I was told he received a driving without a license ticket, and it was close to being a brawl in the street the kid was just so disrespectful, all he cared about was me telling insurance his mom was driving so he wouldn't get blamed cuz he didn't have a lic. When I told him imma let the cops deal with it he began throwing out insults and then PD had just been driving by and stopped, it definitely coulda been worse. This is my first accident ever but if a majority of people are like this after an accident i am staying home lol JKJK but still I don't see how people can disregard that they just possibly hurt someone and only care about what happens to there record.
What an idiot. He can be butt hurt all he wants, but punks like him and bad drivers in general forget they are basically behind the wheel of a weapon, and not only are their lives at stake, but everyone around them. He is wrong, and his parents are wrong for letting him get behind the wheel or being negligent in preventing him access to it. Freaking probably an entitled millennial punk ass. So glad I was born in the 70's and grew up when I did. Kids nowadays are so entitled, narcissistic, and exhibitionist.-all style and no substance.
torrid_pace likes this.

post #29 of 32 Old 03-31-2016, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
^ I blame Justin Beiber
Tal likes this.
post #30 of 32 Old 04-01-2016, 01:24 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
that's looks nasty. But on the positive note, you can replace those parts easily.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page