R3 Wind problem - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

19Likes

post #1 of 39 Old 05-06-2016, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
R3 Wind problem

Hi fellow R3 riders. I took delivery of my R3 this past Wednesday. I am enjoying every bit of it and cant stop thinking about riding it all the time that i am not riding it. So the problem that i am encountering is that when i go past 90KM/H, my bike starts to move around and pushes my in one direction due to wind. It was a reasonable say with little to no wind. Is this normal for such a small weighing bike? I only weigh 125 pounds and i am 6 1". And this is my first ever bike and life on 2 wheels is just a beginning. Now i am thinking i should have gone with a 600cc? This is the reason i have not taken my bike on the highway just yet. Please help a fellow rider. Any suggestions are welcome.
Cheers
Happy riding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 05-06-2016, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
It's a light weight bike. Windy days can be annoying. Bigger engine doesn't help. More weight, and higher CG help. Both of which are the anti-thesis of the R3.

Doesn't matter which bike you choose, there are down sides. Pick your poison.
post #3 of 39 Old 05-06-2016, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
We had a good discussion with tips for riding in cross winds at the 250R forum.
Windy rides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 39 Old 05-06-2016, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
It's a light weight bike. Windy days can be annoying. Bigger engine doesn't help. More weight, and higher CG help. Both of which are the anti-thesis of the R3.

Doesn't matter which bike you choose, there are down sides. Pick your poison.
Wouldnt a lower CG be more stable?
A higher CG will, when tipped over by lateral wind, have more weight off the centreline.
post #5 of 39 Old 05-06-2016, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Just don't go over 170kmh because the side wind can make you fly away! This almost happened to me. rsrsrs
jim likes this.

Let's ride.
post #6 of 39 Old 05-06-2016, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherycash View Post
Hi fellow R3 riders. I took delivery of my R3 this past Wednesday. I am enjoying every bit of it and cant stop thinking about riding it all the time that i am not riding it. So the problem that i am encountering is that when i go past 90KM/H, my bike starts to move around and pushes my in one direction due to wind. It was a reasonable say with little to no wind. Is this normal for such a small weighing bike? I only weigh 125 pounds and i am 6 1". And this is my first ever bike and life on 2 wheels is just a beginning. Now i am thinking i should have gone with a 600cc? This is the reason i have not taken my bike on the highway just yet. Please help a fellow rider. Any suggestions are welcome.
Cheers
Happy riding
Off topic, but you are 6'1" and you only weigh 125lbs?
Instead of buying a bike, you should have bought some fucking fruit loops dude. lol
k.gault716, Xoenz, OTG and 2 others like this.
post #7 of 39 Old 05-06-2016, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Garage
ROFL... I so wanted to say the same thing but figured I'd wait it out and let someone else take the potential hit.
msdss, Jay Raxter and red_86 like this.

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Lightech Rear Turns, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 39 Old 05-06-2016, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherycash View Post
And this is my first ever bike and life on 2 wheels is just a beginning.

Learn to ride with the wind! If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball... wait.. errr.. if you can ride the wind on an R3, you can ride the wind on anything else.

Jokes aside, you are going to get cross winds on any bike. It's more noticeable on lighter bikes, but it's normal.

Check out my YouTube channel, Subscribe today!

Build thread of my bike! Take a look!

post #9 of 39 Old 05-06-2016, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Garage
I hated how my old Honda Shadow handled cross winds on the highway. Not sure why but when I got hit with a pretty good wind from the side, the bike would drift right into other lanes. I was always fighting it. Some bikes handle cross winds better than others. Weight definitely has something to do with it but my Shadow was anything but light.

I've heard from others that the Harley Fat Boy with the solid wheels are a complete freaking nightmare in cross winds.

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Lightech Rear Turns, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

post #10 of 39 Old 05-06-2016, 12:26 PM
Tal

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
You'll get used to it.It wont blow you over it's just part of biking.

Too Old To Die Young.

It's Nice To Be Here,It's Nice To Be Anywhere.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page