3Likes
  • 1 Post By AesonVirus
  • 2 Post By xorbe

post #1 of 6 Old 09-23-2016, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is the R3 worth the extra $1k?

Hey I'm a new rider and was looking at different bikes to get. I have managed to get down to two bikes, the R3 or the ninja 300.

Where I am located I can pick up a used 2013 ninja 300 for about ~$2,800 or a used 2015 R3 for about ~$3,500. (That's the lowest I've seen them on craigslist and they sell within a day if they are that low).

I've done a lot of research on both of the bikes, but still cant decide which one I should pull the trigger on. My question is, Is the R3 worth roughly $1k more than a ninja 300? If anyone could, please tell me why you decided to go with the R3 over the ninja. Thanks!

I'm located in the U.S. (Missouri) if that helps any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-23-2016, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambino View Post
Hey I'm a new rider and was looking at different bikes to get. I have managed to get down to two bikes, the R3 or the ninja 300.

Where I am located I can pick up a used 2013 ninja 300 for about ~$2,800 or a used 2015 R3 for about ~$3,500. (That's the lowest I've seen them on craigslist and they sell within a day if they are that low).

I've done a lot of research on both of the bikes, but still cant decide which one I should pull the trigger on. My question is, Is the R3 worth roughly $1k more than a ninja 300? If anyone could, please tell me why you decided to go with the R3 over the ninja. Thanks!

I'm located in the U.S. (Missouri) if that helps any.

Personally, the Ninja has been out longer and better 'refined' --- more tweaks by Kawasaki over the years. Ninja has more aftermarket support and 'easier' to resell. I ride a 2015 R3 only because I WILL be keeping the bike ... no need for anything FASTER! (Older rider) I would go with the Ninja 300, especially IF you can find one with ABS!

2015 Yamaha R3 (Blue Angel)
2011 Honda NT700VA (Black Beauty)
2009 Honda DN-01 (Red Queen)
post #3 of 6 Old 09-23-2016, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Garage
Depends on what you mean by "refined"
To me, the R3 feels better... better built with more attention to fit and finish.
It also has better electronics and a little more power.

In the end, they're very similar bikes. Get the one you like more and that's only something you can decide on.
I do agree though... if this is merely a gateway bike until you build some basic skills, go with the cheaper bike.
Selling either will be easy but you'll probably lose a little less on the Kawi, since it's already 'older'
GearDrivenCam likes this.

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Lightech Rear Turns, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 09-23-2016, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I rode both before buying the R3. For me, I preferred the look of the Ninja and it was a comfortable bike to ride around on, but the extra midrange power on the R3 made it so much more usable for everyday street use. (It just seemed to be so much more responsive.)

It usually takes me a while to get used to a new bike but when I first rode the R3 it felt like I'd been riding it for years - everything just felt so natural and worked they way that I expected it to in terms of brakes, clutch, rev matching gear changes, and so on. With the Ninja things just felt awkward for me and it was really hard to feel the clutch engagement point and ride smoothly during the test ride. Granted those things would improve with time as I got used to the bike.

If possible take both of them for a ride (or at least go and sit on them) and see which one you like more/feel most comfortable with.

Whatever you end up choosing you'll have a great bike.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited by Paulie.online; 09-23-2016 at 05:49 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-23-2016, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Ride both buy the one that fits you and looks good to you, but it's hard to overlook the N300 if the R3 costs 25% more at those price points. New rider ... go cheap on the first bike, you will get the itch to try another ride soon enough.
CBRpilot and Gizmo like this.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-24-2016, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I had both for about a year. Ninja 300 was sold now I have the R3. In my experience, the R3 is better. The R3 has a stiffer frame, better stiffer suspension both of which makes it really solid around corners. The brakes on the R3 also feel stronger. The gauge cluster is much better it has Constant MPG AVG MPG Oil life etc. And don't forget the R3 has more power.

I personally like the styling of the Ninja 300 but the R3 has a lot going for it.

My Ninja 300 also had ABS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page