New to Forum and Riding - Page 3 - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

10Likes

post #21 of 38 Old 10-31-2016, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I don't know if it's completely normal, but I too always have butterflies in my stomach when I'm not riding, and thinking about riding. Although, once I'm on the bike, and riding, the nervousness just completely disappeared.

I only have the bike for about 2 months, and have about 600 miles on it. I wish I could ride more often, but priorities. lol.

Anyway, glad you are enjoying your bike. I also can't wait for the day where I can just hop on the bike like hopping in my car and drive without all the distraction of riding a bike. Someday... *shrug*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 Old 11-01-2016, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
I tend to think and worry too much on things I shouldn't, I had more nervousness in the MSF during their exercises than I did riding around. Just riding around the range felt awesome I would kick up to third gear doing 30-35mph without a care in the world, felt great (I had the chance to do that when going across the range resetting for the exercise etc). So I think when I'm just riding and not doing "exercises" I'll be fine...

Going to the DMV today to finalize my endorsement and tag/title the bike, probably going for a ride near home tonight to get familiar with the bike

One thing I am actually nervous about is dips/bumps, where I'm at in NC there's some really significant dips and high railroad tracks that are unavoidable. I watched a guy on a hyabusa go over the treacherous railroad tracks today and didn't seem like it was bad at all. I'm somewhat worried it's going to upset the balance of the bike, but maybe it won't? It's not really like a hump, it's more like 3 humps up down/up down/up down - can only take it at like 20mph in a car otherwise you feel like you're bouncing everywhere lol

Last edited by omega; 11-01-2016 at 09:02 AM.
post #23 of 38 Old 11-01-2016, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visual360 View Post
I don't know if it's completely normal, but I too always have butterflies in my stomach when I'm not riding, and thinking about riding. Although, once I'm on the bike, and riding, the nervousness just completely disappeared.
I would never dare call myself "normal" but I'm like this as well. I'm finally at a stage in my life where I'm much more valuable alive than dead so I chalk this all up to me simply worrying about doing something stupid and screwing up a good thing. If I rode on private roads, I'd most likely never have a concern but I'm surrounded by knobs who would rather check their snapchat than look both ways before pulling out. Those variables scare me and that's why I worry.
Once on the bike, I'm in survival mode and enjoy the ride... I only worry when off the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega View Post
One thing I am actually nervous about is dips/bumps, where I'm at in NC there's some really significant dips and high railroad tracks that are unavoidable. I'm somewhat worried it's going to upset the balance of the bike, but maybe it won't? It's not really like a hump, it's more like 3 humps up down/up down/up down - can only take it at like 20mph in a car otherwise you feel like you're bouncing everywhere lol
There's a major road I take to work where the speed limit is 55... I'm usually doing that or a little bit more, depending on traffic. Anyway, there's a few spots where there are crazy dips in the road (years of New England winters cause frost heaves). When I was still fairly new to the bike, I rode over them and it not only scared me, but it hurt like heck as well.
Remember what they taught you in your class. Get your butt up and slightly off the seat, and don't use a kung foo grip. Just come up, relax and let the bike absorb it. Don't worry about balance and stability (unless you're in a tight corner).

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Lightech Rear Turns, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 38 Old 11-01-2016, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Yeah we did a lot of practice running over 2x4's that was fairly easy.... @AesonVirus are you able to still hit some dips while in a minor lean? Our roads seriously have a bunch of dips, some in turns, but they're not particularly sharp I'm guessing I should probably try to straighten up some? Or is a minor lean angle usually ok? I know it usually depends on a lot of factors such as heat, angle, speed, aggressiveness of dip etc , but I'm just being very general here...
post #25 of 38 Old 11-01-2016, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega View Post
Yeah we did a lot of practice running over 2x4's that was fairly easy.... @AesonVirus are you able to still hit some dips while in a minor lean? Our roads seriously have a bunch of dips, some in turns, but they're not particularly sharp I'm guessing I should probably try to straighten up some? Or is a minor lean angle usually ok? I know it usually depends on a lot of factors such as heat, angle, speed, aggressiveness of dip etc , but I'm just being very general here...
Definitely. If you remember only one thing, remember to not have an "oh-sh!t" panic attack mid-corner and white knuckle grip the bars. Keep a light grip, accelerate smoothly through the corner and let the bike do all the work.
I'm no expert and certainly don't claim to be, but I do know that dropping the throttle in the corner, especially when you see a road imperfection, is a recipe for disaster... and it's something a lot of new riders tend to do when they panic.

If you can get past the cheesiness and bad acting, give this a watch. It's full of tips that will help you as you build new riding skills.
I started to apply what I learned from this video and it almost immediately improved my riding

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Lightech Rear Turns, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

post #26 of 38 Old 11-01-2016, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Ok will do, sounds like what you're saying road dips won't cause me to be thrown off the bike (in a typical low lean angle, street riding without a freak dip or imperfection I'm guessing). I'll definitely have to watch this was just trying to get a very specific answer to my biggest fear
post #27 of 38 Old 11-01-2016, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

I knew it, I had some issues with going into corners and getting twitchy because I wasn't rolling through (I always went wide which explains it) and I kept finding myself fighting the bars and gripping too hard. This I already knew at least and I'm trying to stop, although with only 17 miles on a bike I'm guessing it's going to take me more practice lol

It's also kind of difficult when you have 4 people on a course and some are way slower than others, but in that case I guess I need to increase my cushion to get proper roll-on through the turn.
post #28 of 38 Old 11-01-2016, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Finally got my tag/registration done today and aced my knowledge portion for my endorsement, now I'm fully licensed woot.

Took the R3 out for a maiden voyage today, stalled the engine once on an incline from a stop (wasn't revving enough) as I was riding around the neighborhood to try and get used to the bike. Other than that everything was great, this bike is insane amounts of fun. I love the exhaust note, it sounds more sporty than I thought videos etc did. Took the bike up to 11k once but was pleasantly surprised by the available power below that despite what everyone says.

I had the bike up to 60 and holy **** did it feel planted, it felt SO much better than those suzuki 250's like I suspected and is SOOO much faster. I had no weird feelings in turns like I did on the suzuki's probably because I already adjusted for rider sag at preload level 5 (220lbs). The bike just feels precise, I had no trouble keeping lines or riding confidently. I was more worried about starting from a stop as it is way easier to stall than the suzuki 250's, needs more throttle to prevent stalling than them it seemed. Still a little clunky at shifting but I practiced rev matching and down/upshifting a lot riding close to home, did about 10 miles in 40 minutes cruising around close to home playing with the bike.

I practiced some low speed turns in my cul-de-sacs throughout the neighborhood, this was a portion I had a lot of trouble with on the suzuki 250's from MSF. I had NO balance issues at all on the R3 doing this, it felt so much more natural and so much better even at low speed. The bike itself just raised my confidence level double from what I had before and it felt amazing to go riding with this thing for the first time. Even being a heavier rider it's still very fun and fast for a newer rider, I couldn't ask for any better bike to start with. I still have a lot of work to do with throttle control, my fine tuning of the right wrist leaves a lot to be desired, but I'm getting better with practice.

In the MSF on the 250's I kept putting weight on my left hand and tensing up my left side, on the R3 it's the opposite I'm putting weight on my right wrist (or maybe it's sore from me ripping the throttle backwards ). I don't know for sure I'm putting weight on it but I did find myself not clenching with knees and my right wrist getting sore after this short ride so I'm guessing that's what it was. I don't think I'll ever get tired of this thing!!
post #29 of 38 Old 11-01-2016, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Also did some garage work today for my gear... I wonder if anyone can guess what the white rubbermaid drawer thing holds/organizes?

Also forgot to mention on my maiden voyage today I almost got creamed by a bus. They were in the middle of a turn making a left on a sharp turn, didn't slow enough and took the whole road. Good thing I was paying attention, saw it, slowed down moved to the right of the road and went on the outside of the road away from them with plenty of room. I would NOT have had the confidence to react like that without MSF, period, I felt REALLY confident and really good riding the bike for the first time. Thanks MSF!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161101_181015.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	45730  
Gizmo likes this.

Last edited by omega; 11-01-2016 at 07:22 PM.
post #30 of 38 Old 11-02-2016, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Took the bike for another ride today about 10 miles round trip or so, went over railroad tracks, lots of twisties, some very tight technical twisties. Bike felt pretty good, I noticed I tire out pretty quickly and start to get sloppy, I actually have REALLY good form for being so new when I'm in the first 20mins of my ride but after that I start to get very sloppy with the throttle and handling. I guess it just takes more time for longer rides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161102_183449.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	688.8 KB
ID:	45754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Message_1478126280636.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	45762  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page