10Likes

post #31 of 38 Old 11-07-2016, 03:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome!

Youtube -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Motovlogs and Riding Videos on the R3.

Website -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website for jthomas1310 find all of my content here.

Facebook -
- Stay up to date with my latest R3 videos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 11-11-2016, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Well now the bike has 124 miles on it, so I've put roughly 60 miles on it in the last week and a half (it's been cold here). Rode it into work this morning in 45 degree weather... couldn't feel my hands by the time I got to work but it was a good ride! Rode it home in 67 degree weather, couldn't ask for any better! Riding it to work was my furthest ride yet at about 12 miles and 30minutes (lots of twisty back roads!).

I had lacked some confidence before but the r3 is confidence inspiring, I feel much better after just 60 miles on it and feel very confident! I love this motorcycle!
post #33 of 38 Old 11-16-2016, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
With all due respect, I think you might need to calm down a bit. I'm very glad you're confident on this bike, but for having ridden a whole 100 miles, you sound overconfident. I have almost 30,000 miles on 2 wheels and I don't have the confidence level you have. I never get on the bike and feel "great" and "wonderful" and "relaxed." No, when I get on the bike I become hyper focused on the task at hand. I suddenly pay attention to every car, every dog, every animal. Everything that moves gets a moment of my attention.

I've never had an accident other than the woman that hit me when we were both stationary, but still, confidence is good but overconfidence will get you killed.

Slow down, enjoy your rides and pay attention. Right now, in your riding career, you are the most dangerous time. You're more likely to get yourself killed now than you ever will be. I've been riding over 10 years and I ride ATGATT and very carefully every ride.

Yes, love the bike, love the ride, but be careful and NOT overconfident.

post #34 of 38 Old 11-17-2016, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Maybe you should step back a second,

Confidence
noun
the feeling or belief that one can rely on someone or something; firm trust.

Did I say I was a Street Rossi and my l337 skillz are awesome? Nope, I said the bike inspires confidence, using the above definition that means I can rely on my bike, just for clarification as you seem to have gotten this mixed up. Also, keep in mind it depends on your view level, you have no context or clue what I'm talking about, if you read the entire thread front to back you'll notice why I say this over and over.

I rode in MSF and the suzuki 250's SUCKED, I was NOT confident at ALL on this bike, I did NOT trust the bike. Not just because of my skill but because of the PRODUCT, the R3 feels like something I can truly "rely on" (be confident in).

Now maybe this clears this up for you, I never said I was a perfect rider, or I love the track or I'm doing 90 on the street. If you don't feel "great", "wonderful" or enjoy riding, why do you do it? I'm talking about mood, it's joyful, fun, entertaining, engaging, never ever said I didn't pay attention, I'm paranoid 100x more paranoid in my car than most people are on motorcycles, I'm even more paranoid on my R3.

I have progressively become to TRUST the bike more hence is "confidence inspiring" rather than being nerve wracking while riding, I'm no longer riding scared, which is appropriate for riding only a hundred miles, doesn't mean I'm not meticulously thinking/practicing/defensively riding. I'm trying to convey to new riders who have also taken MSF on similar bikes that might appreciate the differences in refinement and how it affects your decision or nervousness about riding I'm communicating the refinement of what I'm riding based on my past experiences. Everything is subjective, seeing as how I've ridden probably the most beat up 250 to an R3, it's leaps and bounds better, that's what my message conveys.

Now, instead of jumping to conclusions and bastardizing everyone let's move on, I'm going to go practice wheelies now while only wearing a helmet in my neighborhood.
Kojiiro and Gizmo like this.

Last edited by omega; 11-17-2016 at 08:30 AM.
post #35 of 38 Old 01-31-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Haven't updated this in a while, figured what the **** time to update it and add a photo from riding around today since it was 65 out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_20170131_171958_hdr_1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	746.8 KB
ID:	48849  
Kojiiro likes this.
post #36 of 38 Old 02-01-2017, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
I know what you mean with the lack of confidence in the msf bikes. I had to do my 3 year refresher and the bike I was on absolutely sucked. The clutch barely worked. Fully in, the bike would still walk unless I had the front brakes on lol. It barely shifted, it felt like it would fall apart. Even worse I had to pay for it. For some reason, if you are stationed overseas you have to do an area familiarization course. Doesn't matter if you have been riding 1 month or 1 decade. They don't let you bring your own bike unless you rent a truck and haul it to the course. It's cheaper to just rent a bike and have it delivered to the site. Most people I have met, beginner rider or 20+ years of riding aren't scared putting around 15-25 mph in an MsF lot. That bike had me wanting to just get the day over with lol. Oh and they base your license on what bike you ride the course in. So I did the course on some heavy ass CB1000f so I could keep my unlimited cc license, but went and bought a 250 afterwards lol.

Last edited by Kojiiro; 02-01-2017 at 05:47 AM.
post #37 of 38 Old 02-01-2017, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Hahaha glad I'm not the only one!! Yeah I can't say our MSF bikes weren't maintained they were and they were adequate not as bad as you were mentioning. However the handling of those SV250's compared to the R3 is like comparing a 5 gallon bucket to a toilet that can flush. I was literally scraping pegs on left hand turns ~20mph - that is not confidence inspiring! The neutral positioning of the R3 is much easier to handle and the R3 is far easier to maneuver at low speeds it was instantly noticeable as soon as I completed MSF and hopped on my R3 the next day.

I'm sure now I probably wouldn't complain as much having some decent riding under my belt, I still wouldn't like the ergonomics by comparison though. My points were made to help new riders who may feel like "riding isn't for them" if they felt sketched out on some of the MSF bikes. Basically "You're not alone I hated that bike too, but the R3 is a HUGE upgrade vs that MSF bike".
post #38 of 38 Old 02-01-2017, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
My first time taking an MSF course wasn't that bad. It was overseas in the Middle East. We used a relatively new hyosung gtr250 or whatever it's called, along with the 250 cruiser that hyosung makes.

Back stateside, taking the military sport rider course you had to bring your own bike. Now here, taking the ERC, it's back to not riding your own bike. The military sure is dumb.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page