New to Forum and Riding - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

10Likes

post #1 of 38 Old 10-23-2016, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
New to Forum and Riding

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone as the forum has been a huge wealth of knowledge as I've been really interested in riding and getting an R3! I pick my R3 up Monday with 67 miles (new basically). I'll post pics once I get some, I start MSF next weekend so I'm sure it'll be a blast, thanks for being a great knowledge exchange and being so friendly to new riders. The community seems truly awesome!
R0b0tN1nja_BKNY and Gizmo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 10-23-2016, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Welcome! Good luck on the MSF and ride safe!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 38 Old 10-24-2016, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Garage
The MSF class is an absolute blast. Have fun and congrats on the new bike!

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Slip-On Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Adjustable Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 38 Old 10-25-2016, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

So since I said I'd update, here it is! Hoping to many good miles on the bike, found it with 67 miles used, at half the cost of a new bike it was literally pristine (except the 1/4" thick dust).

Gizmo likes this.
post #5 of 38 Old 10-25-2016, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Weird so the forum didn't like my google drive link (works fine).

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161024_165117.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	697.3 KB
ID:	45393
AesonVirus likes this.
post #6 of 38 Old 10-25-2016, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Dumb question to everyone... Should the fairings be nice and smooth like car paint? Or is it normal for it to be rough?

Feels like it has a bunch of contaminants but not sure if that's just normal for the plastics?

Two areas I feel it is the sides of the tank where it's painted and the top of the tail near the passenger seat where it's painted. Some of the fairings feel nice and smooth so I'm expecting it should be like this everywhere?

Last edited by omega; 10-25-2016 at 10:11 PM.
post #7 of 38 Old 10-26-2016, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Maybe I should actually try mentioning someone this time -- @BluebirdR3 @AesonVirus
post #8 of 38 Old 10-26-2016, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega View Post
Dumb question to everyone... Should the fairings be nice and smooth like car paint? Or is it normal for it to be rough?

Feels like it has a bunch of contaminants but not sure if that's just normal for the plastics?

Two areas I feel it is the sides of the tank where it's painted and the top of the tail near the passenger seat where it's painted. Some of the fairings feel nice and smooth so I'm expecting it should be like this everywhere?
It should be smooth. Maybe the bike was dropped before, and was just painted over??

Welcome by the way!
post #9 of 38 Old 10-26-2016, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega View Post

Mine are smooth.. no bumps or rough areas

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Slip-On Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Adjustable Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

post #10 of 38 Old 10-26-2016, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
It should be smooth. But there is a possibility that they are rough because of environmental fallout. Does the paint appear to have an orange peel texture? If not, then the roughness is from things like brake dust and other environmental fallout. You can remove it by rubbing it with a clay bar then waxing it.

If you don't know how to do this, I'm sure there's a youtube video but essentially you spray a lubricant on the surface, then rub the bar across the surfaces. When done, wax and everything should be smooth as a baby's butt!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page