User Tag List

2Likes

post #1 of 13 Old 01-19-2017, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
New Member - NC

New member on the forum. Currently i do not own a R3 or any motorcycle period. Last i rode a bike was about 20 yrs ago (Yamaha FZR 600, YZ125 and RM125). I'm currently debating between a R3 and the KTM RC 390.
I was able to sit on both bikes, the RC feels very aggressive, while the R3 is more comfy.
I'm looking for reliability, maneuverability and comfort as I'll be using the bike to commute to work on local roads.
My options are, a 2015 R3 with 5k miles with a lien on the title, an RC 390 with 2k miles, also a lien on the tile, and finally a new 2015 R3. I'm a bit nervous about purchasing a bike with a lien on the title (advice is appreciated).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-20-2017, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Welcome! You are right to be nervous about buying a bike that has a lien - and you should avoid it unless you can get the lien released with written confirmation. I would then even call to confirm the lien release. As for which bike to choose, this may help you:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/sm...clist-magazine

If you want reliability and comfort, the R3 would be a better choice. For maneuverability, they would both be excellent due to their light weight but according to the video, the RC 390 has a better suspension setup.

For me, it came down to looks, reliability, and dealer support. My nearest KTM dealer is well over an hour away and there are lots of Yamaha dealers near me. I have three just within 15 mins. and my local dealer is quite good.

Good luck with your decision!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-20-2017, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
To be honest a lien isn't a big issue as long as it's local I've done this a few times. If the bank isn't local then it's a PITA, if the bank is local drive down to the bank, hand over money at the bank to pay the lien, get the lien released and done. Just stay in contact with the person in case the bank screws up the lien release and note on your bill of sale lien release is required within xxx days including that you've already paid xxx dollars for the bike on xxx date (get it notarized at the bank). If something happened then, you'd have legal recourse to get your money back.

It's still always more of a pain though than just buying elsewhere. Where in NC are you? I'm in the Durham area. Also FYI triangle cycle in virginia (only about an hour away from Raleigh over the border) were selling one model year old R3's for $3999 with free delivery I believe... If you're looking to buy new they're the cheapest I could find in the area, ended up getting my 2015 R3 with 67 miles for $3,000 (due to how cheap the new ones were at triangle cycle).

post #4 of 13 Old 01-20-2017, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you guys for the advice.
Omega, I'm in Cary and work in RTP. I'll check out your recommendation.
BluebirdR3, i'll definitely checkout that link.
The R3 is on lien with Yamaha and is located in SC. The RC 390 is in NJ on lien with a bank, so i agree, it will be a PITA.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-20-2017, 03:21 PM

Ouch that does suck those lien's are not local at all, I only had to go about 40mins west to get my bike (from a dealer though so no lien).

I work in Cary myself right near 55 and 540, when you get a bike let me know we'll have to ride some time! There's a few riders I've talked to in the area on moto amino and we're planning a group ride sometime soon. I have a pretty decent route with curvy roads, nothing like tail of the dragon though , I have to do that on the bike sometime in the next year or two...

Are you looking to do any safety courses or anything (or do you still have your endorsement lol)? Quite a few R3's up on craigslist too ATM but they're too pricey compared to new, you'll need to talk them down a fair bit.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-20-2017, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm on S.Miami & Emperor Blvd. I'll definitely connect with you once i secure a bike.
I have not taken any safety courses, any recommendations in the area?
There are a few 2015 still out there that can be picked up at a decent price new. I'm looking at a Rapid Red (old stock, not many color choices).
post #7 of 13 Old 01-20-2017, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome!
post #8 of 13 Old 01-20-2017, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you!
post #9 of 13 Old 01-20-2017, 09:44 PM

I love my white and red, it's probably one of my favorite color schemes for 2015 (I love matte grey too but think it was 2016?). MSF has courses at Durham Tech and Wake Tech, I took mine at Durham Tech as it's just down the road and about $30 cheaper than wake.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-27-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
After talking to the sales guy i decided to pull the plug on a new 2015. Thought I had everything sorted out and ready for a pick up last Saturday only to find out the bike was not prepared and inspected ( partial miscommunication on my behalf).
Twincountymotorsports in Rocky Mount, NC was awesome though, they actually delivered the bike, free of cost and didn't even require my presence in store to sign off on the paperwork. Everything was brought to me.
The sales guy, Tray was outstanding, making it a painless process. David did a wonderful job securing and delivering the bike. Delivery time was spot on.
These guys are highly recommended.
http://twincountymotorsports.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5737.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	48433   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5738.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	48441  
Gizmo and BluebirdR3 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page