User Tag List

6Likes

post #11 of 14 Old 01-22-2017, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR3 View Post
It's almost never going to be worth it. There is a reason that they call it totaled, the value to repair is more than its worth.

You'll be in major upside down when and if you finish this project, so good luck!
I also disagree. My salvage bike was damaged, yes, but the damage was minimal. If you were buying the bike for the track, you're going to replace a bunch of the OEM stuff anyway, like clip-ons, rearsets, fairings, and so on. Once I got the busted parts off the left side of my bike and washed the dirt off of it, it looked brand new. If I was going to put it back to 100% stock and just ride on the street, I would have put MAYBE $500 into it and it would have been good to go. $1500 or $4000? Sounds like a win to me. Yes, I've spent more than that because I'm upgrading a lot of things for the track. But that's money I would have spent anyway if I'd bought a new or clean used bike. I've bought some extras along the way and replaced a few other parts just because I like my stuff to be PERFECT (and probably would have done the same if I'd bought a non-salvage used bike), but that's just because I'm OCD, not because the bike needed them.

Totaled doesn't always mean basket case, especially with motorcycles. One scratch in the wrong place and the insurance companies will "total" them. Like I said, with the plastics off, a new clip on, and a new rear set, the bike looks new. It's only got 2000 mies on it. YES, you take a risk buying on an online insurance auction. But do your research, look at the pictures carefully (if it's close, GO INSPECT THE BIKE BEFORE THE AUCTION), and only bid what you feel is reasonable.

I'm confident I saved about $2500 off what I would have spent to have the same bike if I'd bought used. Yes, it will have a salvage title, but I'm not buying it for resale so I don't care. I bought it as a track bike and I fully expect it's gonna slide across the track and/or gravel at some point. I'm going to have a LOT less heartache about wrecking a salvage bike on the track than I would if I'd bought the thing new. But that's just me.
sbk1198 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 01-22-2017, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
For OEM parts I've used Partzilla in the past with great success. Good prices and their schematics make it easy to figure out what you need right away. For aftermarket parts, I see Spears Racing and YamahaR3Racing.com are the places to go. They pretty much have everything I would need, except for bodywork (I'd rather avoid Hotbodies this time).
I second Spears Racing and YamahaR3Racing. I've also got some of my stuff from them and they're very helpful folks. Only reason I shied away from Partzilla was some negative reviews I'd read about them. How fast do they ship? My only complaint about ProCaliber is that it usually takes a couple of weeks to get parts. But it's still probably faster than a dealer, and cheaper, and their customer service is pretty good.

As for Copart, yeah the fees can be brutal. I did a lot of research on that as well before I bought, so I expected it and figured it into my budget. Everybody's gotta make a buck, I guess.
SpearsRacing and sbk1198 like this.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-22-2017, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAoramaR3 View Post
I also disagree. My salvage bike was damaged, yes, but the damage was minimal. If you were buying the bike for the track, you're going to replace a bunch of the OEM stuff anyway, like clip-ons, rearsets, fairings, and so on. Once I got the busted parts off the left side of my bike and washed the dirt off of it, it looked brand new. If I was going to put it back to 100% stock and just ride on the street, I would have put MAYBE $500 into it and it would have been good to go. $1500 or $4000? Sounds like a win to me. Yes, I've spent more than that because I'm upgrading a lot of things for the track. But that's money I would have spent anyway if I'd bought a new or clean used bike. I've bought some extras along the way and replaced a few other parts just because I like my stuff to be PERFECT (and probably would have done the same if I'd bought a non-salvage used bike), but that's just because I'm OCD, not because the bike needed them.

Totaled doesn't always mean basket case, especially with motorcycles. One scratch in the wrong place and the insurance companies will "total" them. Like I said, with the plastics off, a new clip on, and a new rear set, the bike looks new. It's only got 2000 mies on it. YES, you take a risk buying on an online insurance auction. But do your research, look at the pictures carefully (if it's close, GO INSPECT THE BIKE BEFORE THE AUCTION), and only bid what you feel is reasonable.

I'm confident I saved about $2500 off what I would have spent to have the same bike if I'd bought used. Yes, it will have a salvage title, but I'm not buying it for resale so I don't care. I bought it as a track bike and I fully expect it's gonna slide across the track and/or gravel at some point. I'm going to have a LOT less heartache about wrecking a salvage bike on the track than I would if I'd bought the thing new. But that's just me.
Exactly. Same boat here! My other 2 current bikes were also bought sight unseen, from private individuals. The CBR500 was salvage, came from Atlanta from a WERA guy who raced it. It had a salvage title but in perfect mechanical condition. The ZX6R came from Dallas from a CMRA guy with a clean title, but when I got it home I realized one of the frame spars where the engine mounts had been broken and a piece of aluminum was welded in its place. Works just as well also, but it technically is a damaged frame, yet it was never claimed since it was a race bike so the title is still clean. To me, titles are meaningless when it comes to motorcycles, especially ones used on the track. All that means is the resale value should be expected to be lower, but most race bikes sell for much less anyway and people that buy them usually don't care about titles. For me it's more of a way to have proof that it was a legit purchase and the bike isn't stolen.

Now, ultimately the cheapest way to go is to buy an already built up track bike, which will save you tons of money on aftermarket parts, so you get the best of both worlds, which is exactly what I did with my ZX6R (3500 miles, over $8500 in aftermarket parts...paid $4000 for it! Just needed new tires and was already setting personal bests in the first day!). However, the R3 is a relatively new bike. There aren't many built-up ones for sale that are going for cheap. All the ones I saw are at least $4k, and the ones that are really built-up well were selling for $5-6k. So at that point, the option of buying a dirt cheap crashed one and upgrading it on your own becomes a lot more attractive. Plus, I was also interested in doing this as a learning experience. Granted it's not really my first rodeo, however it will be the first time of actually starting from "scratch" and building up with the parts that I want. I'm also not pressed for time at all, so since I won't afford to buy everything all at once, I'm not gonna be bummed if it takes me like 8-9 months to finish it. I would like to at least ride it once this year, so my goal is to get it on track no later than September.

2007 ZZR600 (street bike)
2010 1198 (race bike, parted out across the country)
2006 CBR600 (street/track, sold)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike, future race bike hopefully)

Sponsors:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 Old 01-23-2017, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Hi SBK1198, was in a similar situation (see pic), in the UK stock bikes are pretty expensive, and unlike the USA parts are top end on price as well. and as you point out it would be likely that a stock bike would ultimately end up being customised to your own preference!.

I have have purchased a delkevic end can, it now had 40mm handle bars which force the forks through the triple tree a further 15mm than stock. cnc rearset and passenger pegs when required.

the speedo was imported from the USA, brake resevoir (which had been chopped out) was replaced as a set, with shorty levers.

bodywork was a chinese set which went on ok, came with seat hump as well. genuine yamaha ignition switch, fender tidy with led number plate light, led indicators

just need mirrors, battery and decent tyres (tires),and thinking of lifting the rear end up about 10mm, purely for a bit of leg heigth,incidently, what year ZX6R battery fits?.
Based on spend so far i reckon I will be about £1000 to the good on current prices.
I will however be keeping it as i pranged the fireblade in 2015 (ouch) i have read so much about the R3 cant wait to give it a blast. Yes its a smaller bike, but they do say its more fun so we will see, when it altogether i will be posting some more pics.
good luck with the rebuild

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page