New R3 owner, project race bike - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

6Likes

post #1 of 14 Old 01-21-2017, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
New R3 owner, project race bike

Hi all! Took a bit of a leap of faith and bought a crashed salvage R3 from Copart. It was really cheap, although they rob you with the fees (bastards!), so I'm hoping it'll be worth it. Came with no key, so no idea how many miles it has or if the thing even runs. Doesn't have a battery and the start button is messed up so it'll be about a week until I can get it going (hopefully).

Currently I race a CBR500 and a ZX6R, and if all goes well the plan is to slowly get the R3 to where it's rideable, then at some point later this year, sell the 500 and use that money to really build the R3 into a proper race bike. The 500 is just too **** heavy...sure it has a few more ponies but it's a hog. It's even heavier than my ZX6R! Anyway...excited to learn more about the R3 and gain some knowledge from you folks. I'll be starting up a thread with my bike build, because I've already tore it down and already have a bunch of questions
SpearsRacing likes this.

2007 ZZR600 (street bike)
2010 1198 (race bike, parted out across the country)
2006 CBR600 (street/track, sold)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike, future race bike hopefully)

Sponsors:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-21-2017, 05:15 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum.

2014 Ninja 300 SE Pearl StarDust White With ABS
Two Brothers Tarmac Carbon Slip On
TST Industries Integrated Taillight/Signal Lights
TST Industries Fender Delete Kit
K&N Air Filter

2016 Vulcan 900 Custom
Cobra FI2000R Fuel Controller
Kuryakyn Voltmeter
Kawasaki Mini Tachometer
K&N Air Filter
Kuryakyn ISO Grips With Dual Throttle Bosses
Saddlebags Installed Using EasyBrackets
Cobra Freeway Bars
DesertDawg Freeway Bar Chaps
Mustang Wide Vintage Touring Seat With Drivers Backrest
post #3 of 14 Old 01-21-2017, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Also...10-character password for this forum and only certain symbols count as symbols?? Seems a bit extreme! lol

2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)

Sponsors:

post #4 of 14 Old 01-21-2017, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome. Looking forward to following your project.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-21-2017, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I'm also rebuilding a Copart salvage R3. I got pretty lucky tho. Most of the damage on mine was cosmetic, and as soon as I recharged the battery and repaired the left clip-on and rearset, I got the thing to fire right up. The rest is fixing the bodywork and some other minor odds and ends, plus some track prep. Hopefully your project will come together quickly!

I highly recommend ProCaliber.com for any OEM replacement parts if you want new stuff. The prices are really good compared to other sources. Usually better than eBay. Check the classifieds on this forum often too. Used parts turn up all the time and everybody I've dealt with has been really easy to work with and very helpful. Check out the site vendors for race parts and other mods! Good luck!
sbk1198 likes this.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-21-2017, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAoramaR3 View Post
I'm also rebuilding a Copart salvage R3. I got pretty lucky tho. Most of the damage on mine was cosmetic, and as soon as I recharged the battery and repaired the left clip-on and rearset, I got the thing to fire right up. The rest is fixing the bodywork and some other minor odds and ends, plus some track prep. Hopefully your project will come together quickly!

I highly recommend ProCaliber.com for any OEM replacement parts if you want new stuff. The prices are really good compared to other sources. Usually better than eBay. Check the classifieds on this forum often too. Used parts turn up all the time and everybody I've dealt with has been really easy to work with and very helpful. Check out the site vendors for race parts and other mods! Good luck!
I had been looking on Copart for months for an R3 ever since a friend of mine bought one for $850 (not counting fees, just bid) that had just cosmetic damage. But every time I bid on one, there was always someone from freakin Guatemala, Mexico, or China that would up the price to the point that it wasn't worth it anymore so I'd let them win. I finally won this one which I'm guessing is because most people were skeptical about the "no key" thing. What I didn't anticipate was the lack of battery, and butchered wiring job on the right-hand side switches with the busted starter button :/

I drove 1275 miles yesterday over the course of 26 hours to get it! This **** better be worth it!
SpearsRacing likes this.

2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)

Sponsors:
post #7 of 14 Old 01-22-2017, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Fortunately, the parts for these bikes are not that expensive, at least not compared to something like an R1. Bodywork is cheap, and theres a big used parts market as well. Seriously, check some of this sites vendors or ProCaliber, or RonAyers before you get anything off eBay. A lot of the sellers on there are asking more than you can get brand-new OEM parts for elsewhere.

I got lucky on mine. Winning bid was $700. By the time it was loaded and off the Copart lot I think it was right at about $1000. I only had to drive about three hours tho. You are definitely dedicated to the cause!

No key and significant visible damage (even if it's just cosmetic) are good deterrents, but yeah, seems like a lot of international buyers out there. But hey, you can't win if you don't play! Glad you finally got one!

I picked up a right side clip-on assembly off a basically new bike that included the switch assembly and harness for about $50 the other day. Got the left side assembly for $35. You can also get new lock assemblies. I paid $80 for "new" ignition, tank, and seat locks. Only pain in the butt was drilling out the security bolts for the ignition lock. But the deals are out there!

Last edited by TAoramaR3; 01-22-2017 at 06:52 AM.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-22-2017, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAoramaR3 View Post
Fortunately, the parts for these bikes are not that expensive, at least not compared to something like an R1. Bodywork is cheap, and theres a big used parts market as well. Seriously, check some of this sites vendors or ProCaliber, or RonAyers before you get anything off eBay. A lot of the sellers on there are asking more than you can get brand-new OEM parts for elsewhere.

I got lucky on mine. Winning bid was $700. By the time it was loaded and off the Copart lot I think it was right at about $1000. I only had to drive about three hours tho. You are definitely dedicated to the cause!

No key and significant visible damage (even if it's just cosmetic) are good deterrents, but yeah, seems like a lot of international buyers out there. But hey, you can't win if you don't play! Glad you finally got one!

I picked up a right side clip-on assembly off a basically new bike that included the switch assembly and harness for about $50 the other day. Got the left side assembly for $35. You can also get new lock assemblies. I paid $80 for "new" ignition, tank, and seat locks. Only pain in the butt was drilling out the security bolts for the ignition lock. But the deals are out there!
Yeah I just drilled out my ignition switch last night. That was a bit of a bitch to do. Someone had already started with it on the bike. I get the feeling this bike was a stolen bike and someone had attempted to "hot wire" it, gave up, and then took some parts off it before it was found. You got lucky with yours for sure! That is a steal! My problem with Copart was that they added all the hidden fees that they don't tell you about upfront unless you start digging through terms and conditions. My bid was $850 but after taxes and fees it quickly turned into $1350. I wanted to back out of it when I found that out but then they said I'll owe a $400 relisting fee! That was nowhere on the site except for buried deep inside the terms and conditions, and even then it never gave a $ value, it said "fee varies by site". So then I sucked it up and went to get it. Figured worse case is I part it out and get my money back. However if the engine runs, it'll be a good platform to start building up from. Frame, forks, swingarm, wheels, rotors, all appear to be in great shape.

For OEM parts I've used Partzilla in the past with great success. Good prices and their schematics make it easy to figure out what you need right away. For aftermarket parts, I see Spears Racing and YamahaR3Racing.com are the places to go. They pretty much have everything I would need, except for bodywork (I'd rather avoid Hotbodies this time).

2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)

Sponsors:
post #9 of 14 Old 01-22-2017, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
I had been looking on Copart for months for an R3 ever since a friend of mine bought one for $850 (not counting fees, just bid) that had just cosmetic damage. But every time I bid on one, there was always someone from freakin Guatemala, Mexico, or China that would up the price to the point that it wasn't worth it anymore so I'd let them win. I finally won this one which I'm guessing is because most people were skeptical about the "no key" thing. What I didn't anticipate was the lack of battery, and butchered wiring job on the right-hand side switches with the busted starter button :/

I drove 1275 miles yesterday over the course of 26 hours to get it! This **** better be worth it!
It's almost never going to be worth it. There is a reason that they call it totaled, the value to repair is more than its worth.

You'll be in major upside down when and if you finish this project, so good luck!
post #10 of 14 Old 01-22-2017, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR3 View Post
It's almost never going to be worth it. There is a reason that they call it totaled, the value to repair is more than its worth.

You'll be in major upside down when and if you finish this project, so good luck!
That's not true. Buying a stock bike in good condition would cost around $4000 give or take. I would still end up stripping everything down and replacing with aftermarket race parts. So buying a salvage one would definitely save a lot of money. Just needed a Woodcraft key eliminator harness ($52), a battery (~$100), and the right side switch housing (less than ~$20 from a friend) and at that point I'm at the same place I would be buying a clean stock used one in good condition. The only way it wouldn't be worth it is if the motor doesn't run or the frame is busted

Quick update: I was impatient and didn't want to wait for a battery so I used the one from my ZX6R. Turns out the bike has a whopping 417 miles on it!

2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)

Sponsors:

Last edited by sbk1198; 01-22-2017 at 01:11 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page