Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Bike Noobie

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  cwick2000 
#1 ·
Hey Guys!

My Name is Zack. I am currently registered to take my MSF Introduction Course on May 9th and 10th. I'm very excited to get into bikes, as I currently come from the car scene, and have been looking into getting into an R3 for a starter/commuter bike. Living in AZ, I am lucky to get to ride a bike year round and it would be my primary form of transportation instead of my 2014 Focus ST. I do have a few questions. What price should I be paying for a New R3 (2016 or 2017)? AND What are the known issues the bike has/ what are the "Need to Do" starting mods for the bike? My current research has been limited to YouTube and some forums. Finally, if anyone would like to share, I am 20 years old, have one accident on my record (September 2014) and the best quote I have gotten on insurance is $142.00 a month for full coverage - uninsured motorist. Thanks in advance for all the help!

Sincerely,

Wannabe R3

#2 ·
Hey Zack,

I just picked up a 2015 with 1,000 mi for $3,500 here in FL two weeks ago. When I was looking I did see some new 2015s in AL and surrounding states for $4,000 but you have to factor in the dealer fees ect... I would imagine you should be able to find a new one for around $5,500 - $6,000 out the door (tag/tax/title/registration/dealer fee). Don't forget to budget in your riding gear if you don't already own some because a jacket, helmet, and gloves can run $300-$500++ easy depending on the brand and sales.

I used cycletrader.com, craigslist, and even ebay to find out what the prices of R3's were going for in my area if you're looking for place to start.

Happy R3 hunting!

Mason

#3 ·
Ayeee welcome buddy. I can't help you with everything, but here is my input. I from Canada (age 20) and just started riding (though the R3 is also my first ever vehicle). My insurance with my finished MSF course is 140 usd a month. For my used 2015 I payed $2600 usd. I don't know too much about the prices but buying new is wayyyy more. The bike has it's 2 recalls that you need to be sure are done. Issues well... Some complain about the throttle tube and they get the r6 tube instead. Others think the lights are not bright enough or that the tires suck (they are nooby tires). Really nothing is an issue just mostly a preference.

7 Mods I feel are a good idea

1.fender eliminator kit
2.front flush turn signals
3.rear turn light replacements(led's or all in one taillight)
4.frame sliders
5.clutch/brake levers
6.throw those tires out the window

7. If you got the dough, buy a slip-on exhaust

Meh, you don't have to get them all or even any of them, but I found a lot of R3 owners have many of these

#6 · (Edited)
2600 is ridiculously cheap, don't expect to find that. 3000-4000 is pretty reasonable for used. Anything under 6000 out the door for new is decent. (as an aside I'd highly recommend a slightly used bike over a new one for your first)

I think my best quote was for $350? for the year for full coverage on the bike when I first researched it.
27 male with a few tickets. Younger will be higher, but not that much. You will have to shop around to find the best deals. I recently dropped from full after moving out of state and went to just liability, quotes ranged from 95 to 1600. Don't just accept whatever the first company tells you.

Mods vary, nubsters list hits most of the basics. I do disagree on tires though, the oems should be plenty good for a new rider. The stock pilots are also fantastic for commuting, they lasted me over 10,000 miles and are about 15% more efficient than my sportier tires. If I didn't do track days I'd probably pick up another pair of oem given the price/longevity.

Spend your money on gear instead of mods/tires when you are just starting out. This isn't a car. There's no shell protecting you. If you crash, you won't care about whether or not your license plate looks cools. You'll care about whether or not you are peeling gravel out of your skin.

This includes getting a helmet, jacket, and gloves before even buying your bike at a minimum. Go to a local store and ask them for help on sizing. If it doesn't fit well, it won't protect you well. Motorcycle gear should fit a bit differently than normal clothes, there's no shame in asking for help.

That being said, you don't have to spend a lot at first by going top of the line, but look for DOT, ece(better), or Snell(best) helmets and ce certified armor in your jacket. Kevlar lined jeans/leather pants and motorcycle boots are a plus as well.

Lastly, gear is only good if you wear it. It does no good if it sits in a closet. Don't go out and but a track suit just because it is safest or you think you'll look cool in it. Find something you will wear day in and day out that offers a balance of comfort/safety.

#9 · (Edited)
Welcome. As far as kids, there are no "need to do" mods. The bike will run just fine as is. Now the question is, what are you trying to accomplish through mods? Looks? Performance?

For looks, there is an assortment of things you can do, most people install a fender eliminator, flush lights, new windscreen, etc.

For performance, there are tons of mods. Now keep in mind performance isn't just about power. Don't expect to be cranking or like 60hp out of this bike without serious cash involved. At hat point, a used 600 is the much better route. I'm not after much, if any power at all. I accept my bike is in the lightweight class. That said, my performance mods have included: vortex clip on bars, R6 throttle, Brembo master cylinder and lever, Tyga caliper mount with Brembo caliper, SS lines, Ohlins fork cartridge kit, K tech shock, S20 tires.

For protection I have a T. rex case slider kit, shogun frame sliders, womet tech fork sliders and some spools/sliders who's brand I forgot. Oh and some cheapo eBay brake lever guards.

To lighten up the bike a bit I installed a tst fender eliminator and integrated tail light and blinkers.

I put a gps/ phone mount on the bike as well. I rarely do long distance trips but it helps when I do. I can also mount my iPhone in there and use that for track data using an app like HLT.

My bike mainly sees the roads for everyday commuting even though I modded it for track use. The way I see it, I want to ride as close to what my track bike is as what I am used to on the street daily. Besides, all the mods help it feel much better for me as a street rider anyways. I probably will only see half a dozen or so track days this year but I'm happy with my mods. If I had more money I would have left it stock and commuted on it, and bought a used track bike, would have cost much less.

#12 ·
Fellow AZ rider here with 20 + years riding in metro Phoenix and Tucson. Mods are fun and addicting, but drop your cash on gear first. In the convection oven that is most of AZ, you want your gear to minimize the onslaught of heatstroke.

1) Black helmets look cool, but will bake your brain. Same goes for jackets. Go with a white helmet, your cerebellum will thank you for it by being alerting you to the giant "Bro truck" about to ruin your day.

2) Invest in a Summer mesh or mesh/leather combo jacket, also in white or other color to reflect heat / catch the eye of the soccer Mom who is looking at her giant phone while driving her SUV. I know full leather jacket is the best for protection, but at 110+ degrees you and I both know it's getting left at the house, and now your riding in a t-shirt.

3) there are plenty of good Summer gloves, while gauntlets are better, they are useless if you leave them at home because of the heat.

That's my two cents on gear, I also suggest a used bike makes the best financial sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.