User Tag List

79Likes

post #1 of 114 Old 04-26-2016, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Garage
I love my R3 But.....

Why can't people pull their horsepower loving heads out of their asses?

Firstly Ill state that I love my R3, its my third favorite of all the motorcycles I have owned.

But its sad to say that entry bikes from the 80s and early 90s would absolutely eat them for breakfast on a race track.

The R3 and KTM RC390 are at the top of the entry level sportbike pack these days. Everyone loves them because they are quick, nimble and fun.

Which they are....

But my 1990 Bandit 400 easily eats up an R3 or RC with no issues. FZR400s and RVF400s would spank them with ease!

Does North America NEED a graduated licencing law for motorcycles like they have in Japan and most of Europe....If it means with get sweet little supersports then **** yea!

It just annoys me to always hear "well ill learn on this and move up to a 600" Frankly, I dont want to spend the money on that sort of insurance, same goes for an SV or FZ07 (I have had plenty of big bikes, and cant justify the cost per cc to run them on the street)

A modern GSXR400 or R3 with a 321cc triple would have been slick!

Rant over/

2015 R3
1990 GSF400 Superbike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 Old 04-26-2016, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Aren't the old bikes you mentioned two stocks?

Edit:I should have checked, just searched google, Bandit 400 makes 59hp, so.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Yamaha-R3; 04-26-2016 at 11:59 PM.
post #3 of 114 Old 04-27-2016, 01:35 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha-R3 View Post
Aren't the old bikes you mentioned two stocks?

Edit:I should have checked, just searched google, Bandit 400 makes 59hp, so.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
There are 2 and 4 stroke bikes from that era. The RVF and gsxr mentioned are both 4 stroke bikes though there is a 2 stroke gsxr 250 as well.

I've been looking at a lot of the 400s here in Japan the last few weeks. The only real problem I have with them is that a 20 year old bike is going to have worn parts that I don't really feel like dealing with. Been there/ done that with my 1999 Ex500. Don't think I want to deal with carbs again or replace components every few weeks.

I also got to sit on an Aprilia rs125. I really liked that but I want a bike that I can ride on the street as well. Japan won't allow anything below 250 onto the highway.
Yamaha-R3 likes this.

post #4 of 114 Old 04-27-2016, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Small bikes just don't have a market outside of learners in North America, or at least that's what manufacturers believe and what recent trends would dictate. Even 600 sales are suffering. For the extra 2 or 3 grand, why not buy the liter bike instead? That's the American logic.

Building a race spec small bike would be very close in price to the 600s, and I think most people would look right past them. And that's not even considering the used market, where last year's liter bike would probably be thee same price as a new 400 class bike. I think the recent trend of small bike popularity has to do mainly with cost, and a lot of women getting into the sport. Small and cheap is an easy pill to swallow. Small and expensive just doesn't make much sense, unless you experienced enough to appreciate what they offer. I'm not sure there's enough riders put there that want that to make it a worthwhile product for any manufacturer.
post #5 of 114 Old 04-27-2016, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Lets see if Honda actually makes the CBR250-350 RR.
http://www.hondaprokevin.com/new-hon...del-news-info/
But even if they do, it won't be designed with more than 44hp to meet the Euro A2 standard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 114 Old 04-27-2016, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Who wants small cc cheap and economical compare to race purpose and expensive?

There is ktm in the 390

I wished r3 is 390, but 321 is enough to keep up with the big bikes, the difference in accelaration is at top end, which dont normally happen in a rather short road stretch, and the speed limit

Last edited by abvc; 04-27-2016 at 07:17 AM.
post #7 of 114 Old 04-27-2016, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
The base rc390 is in the same class as us, it's not a big jump at all from the r3. Even the 390 cup is still down on power for a 400, but the rest of the package is great. I'd take one of those if it was street legal, but it's not. Take a look at the specs for the old fzr400, we want an updated version of that. 60-70 hp, proper brakes, fully adjustable suspension. A race replica 300/400 class bike for the streets.

Probably won't happen anytime soon, but it would be awesome.
post #8 of 114 Old 04-27-2016, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
They could make a proper supersports with modern tech in low cc with more cylinders, better stock ergos, better suspension and brake packages, better frames etc etc but it will end up costing not that much less than a 600cc supersports.

Then you also have the thing that the only people really buying these smaller cc sportsbikes are countries with graduated licencing/restricted licensing or people who want to learn on smaller cc bikes. Put that all together and then it ends up being a bad idea putting novice riders on basically full blown supersports with less power and maybe a little less weight. Other thing, is that with the graduated licensing schemes they typically limit the power/weight ratio or overall power and not just engine size. The MT07LA (Learner Approved, the 655cc restricted version), makes about 50 something PS but weighs over 180kg. Our R3's make about 30 something PS stock but weigh a bit over 160kg stock.

Smaller cc bikes dont accelerate as hard, dont go as fast and typically arent ridden as hard (on the street at least) as 600cc and up supersports, so they deliberately design them with the capability of the engine and rider in mind.

That being said, its good that Yamaha has an R3 Cup racing competition (in Australia at least), so that people who are willing to spend a bit more coin can get things like ergonomics upgrades, brake upgrades, a bit more engine power, lighter components, etc etc. because there will be people racing these things on the track and will want to squeeze every little bit they can out of the bikes. That aftermarket development then translates into street upgrades.
post #9 of 114 Old 04-27-2016, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Marshall View Post

But my 1990 Bandit 400 easily eats up an R3 or RC with no issues. FZR400s and RVF400s would spank them with ease!

A modern GSXR400 or R3 with a 321cc triple would have been slick!

/

Id buy a modern vfr400 or fzr400. I agree with the power statement. I dont see a need for a bike with ~200hp. Youll never legally put the bike to its potential on the street. id be content with a 60hp r3 if it were identical to the fzr or vfr

Nick
post #10 of 114 Old 04-27-2016, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
If I had a nickel for every "what happened to light weight 400-500cc 50-60 whp bikes in usa" thread ... and I'm right there with you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page