User Tag List

11Likes

post #1 of 49 Old 05-19-2016, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Garage
Something Is Bugging Me

Okay, i'm going to get flamed for this, but I feel I need to say something.
Perhaps it's just me. Perhaps it's just my R3. I don't really know at this point.

I have owned and ridden many motorcycles over the years.
Dirtbikes, motocross bikes, quads, and street bikes.

Sadly... my R3 has the WORST shifting transmission I have ever felt in my life.
It's just total junk. It hangs up between gears, false-neutrals, vague inconsistent feedback. Every once in awhile... it snicks right in. But that's about 50% of the time. 50/50 is not a good ratio.

I thought it might be me. I thought it might need to break-in a little bit.
So I gave it time. 1,200 miles.

If I baby it.... it works better. Shift it slowly, at lower rpm's. It does okay.
I did not buy the R3 to baby it. LoL

Everytime I shift it, I wonder if it's going to actually shift or not.
It's all I think about when I ride it. Which is stupid. I shouldn't be thinking about the transmission at all.

SO.... i'm probably going to sell it. Hopefully. If I can find someone who wants it.
If I had known the transmission was such a piece of crap, I never would have bought this thing.

I feel sad about it. But what can I do?

2015 Yamaha R3 (Blue/Silver)
2012 Honda CBR1000RR (HRC Edition)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 05-19-2016, 02:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
First thing I'd check is that your chain tension is within spec. That's been the cause of the majority of my transmission issues and unexplained false neutrals over the years (taking into account the occasional first to second gear change laziness on my part) . In my case adjusting the chain tension usually caused the problem to go away.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
post #3 of 49 Old 05-19-2016, 02:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Both suggestions above.
I too experience the false neutrals and an occasional miss shift. But, that's mostly when riding mild. Aggressive riding makes all those go away, at least for me. After going full synthetic, I immediately noticed easier clutching and less effort needed at the shift lever. Check for both 90 degree angles at shift lever/rod and rod/shift arm.

Yep, an over tightened or overly loose chain could cause some shifting issues.

Randy

post #4 of 49 Old 05-19-2016, 03:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage
Everybody who has ridden my R3 has said the opposite, that it shifts like absolute butter compared to their bikes. I was just saying the other day that after my second service (I did it early, about 2400mi) I noticed a HUGE improvement in my shifts.

Definitely try these suggestions. If that doesn't help things, maybe it just wasn't the right bike for you.
post #5 of 49 Old 05-19-2016, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vercify View Post
Definitely try these suggestions. If that doesn't help things, maybe it just wasn't the right bike for you.
It's not anything suggested. It's not the chain, or the lever, or the oil, or anything like that.
It's INSIDE the transmission. The way it is designed. It's junk. Built to a price-point.

I don't really know what I am going to do. I like everything else about the bike. I just don't like the way it shifts.

2015 Yamaha R3 (Blue/Silver)
2012 Honda CBR1000RR (HRC Edition)
post #6 of 49 Old 05-19-2016, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Ive only ridden 5 or 6 different bikes long enough to have a solid impression, but this is probably the smoothest gearbox I've seen, especially after switching to synthetic. It just ticks right in, never misses neutral, each gear has a solid "place" to it. Up, down, Rev match with or without the clutch it just pops in.

I do have aftermarket rearsets though, which I feel help a ton. The stock foot controls are cheap steel and have a clumsy feel which could be part of the problem for you, especially compared to the cbr with much better components
post #7 of 49 Old 05-19-2016, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Hmmm...I have only ridden two other bikes and I'd have to agree with you. I don't think its junk (but my only reference points are a CBR125 and a Ninja 250) but I also find that I'm hitting neutral a lot and that I feel like I have to 'ram it' into gears sometimes. Other times, it just goes right in. Weird, thought it was just me. Maybe someone can chime in on how we can check and adjust the chain / rod or whatever?
post #8 of 49 Old 05-19-2016, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I spent quite a bit of time adjusting the lever when I put on my aftermarket rearsets, to get it set up for my natural foot position and range of movement. I think the bike needs a very positive change, and without the right movement it can miss. I've had 1 miss in about 700 miles, and that was me rushing the shift.

It's also quite a noisy change as well, you know when it's found the next gear as you can hear the click.

I would try adjusting the rod and lever position before you decide to sell, you might find it does enough for you...you've nothing to lose trying it
post #9 of 49 Old 05-19-2016, 08:48 AM
Tal

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Never had a problem with mine it shifts smooth as silk whether or not i'm poodling or thrashing it.

Too Old To Die Young.

It's Nice To Be Here,It's Nice To Be Anywhere.
post #10 of 49 Old 05-19-2016, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
If you're still in warranty it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have a talk with the dealership. This is a very well sorted tranny in my experience. It's definitely at its smoothest when you're shifting in the powerband. Occasionally I will miss 2nd, but only when I'm "scootering" at low revs and fail to give the shift lever an authoritative poke.
Paulie.online likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page