User Tag List

4Likes

post #11 of 12 Old 11-28-2016, 01:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
I want to take a trip from Modesto to Las Vegas on the R3. I've plotted out clumps of gas stations every 50-60 miles into the gps. No rush, I can wake up early, just roll at 55-75 mph no hurry. But I've done this trip by car before. It's the long stretch across the desert that makes me nervous. Stay covered to minimize sunlight / dehydration / air blast on skin. I've got a Cortech tail bag, and a backpack for any extra light weight clothing. I can pack snacks and water in the tail bag. I'm thinking to start on a Friday morning, and return on Monday morning. Just waiting for the recall notice and work, so it's not like the trip is asap. I think my longest day so far approached 300 miles. My GPS is a stand-alone model hard-wired to the bike, so I can leave my phone off to conserve battery. Or, I could go Modesto -> Yerington -> LV -> Modesto, but that's probably too much for me, as I don't know squat about the Yerington -> LV section, that's like an honest 350 desert miles, way more than the LA - LV section.

(1) Exactly how hard is the heat going to hit me and the motorcycle?
(2) Defense for a flat tire out in the middle of nowhere?
(3) Should I we worried about rain on that route?
(4) Should I go paranoid and pack pint of oil / coolant / zip ties / wire / electrical tape / mini tire pump / etc?
(5) What if I have to abandon my bike and hitch? Tow truck? RIP bike?
(6) What else should I be thinking about?
(7) Am I crazy?

Any picture of the trip? The story? Love to hear. I plan a cross country ride from NC to CA to WI to NC sometime next year.

U3

Bikes: 2015 R3 Raven, 2017 675R
Bike on list: 2018 BMW S1000RR HP4, and Ducati 1299.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 Old 11-28-2016, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by u3c307 View Post
Any picture of the trip? The story? Love to hear. I plan a cross country ride from NC to CA to WI to NC sometime next year.

U3
Due to health concerns, I didn't feel comfortable making the trip at this time.

oh hai, yo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page