brief me on 500 mile trip across desert - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

4Likes

post #1 of 12 Old 07-05-2016, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
brief me on 500 mile trip across desert

I want to take a trip from Modesto to Las Vegas on the R3. I've plotted out clumps of gas stations every 50-60 miles into the gps. No rush, I can wake up early, just roll at 55-75 mph no hurry. But I've done this trip by car before. It's the long stretch across the desert that makes me nervous. Stay covered to minimize sunlight / dehydration / air blast on skin. I've got a Cortech tail bag, and a backpack for any extra light weight clothing. I can pack snacks and water in the tail bag. I'm thinking to start on a Friday morning, and return on Monday morning. Just waiting for the recall notice and work, so it's not like the trip is asap. I think my longest day so far approached 300 miles. My GPS is a stand-alone model hard-wired to the bike, so I can leave my phone off to conserve battery. Or, I could go Modesto -> Yerington -> LV -> Modesto, but that's probably too much for me, as I don't know squat about the Yerington -> LV section, that's like an honest 350 desert miles, way more than the LA - LV section.

(1) Exactly how hard is the heat going to hit me and the motorcycle?
(2) Defense for a flat tire out in the middle of nowhere?
(3) Should I we worried about rain on that route?
(4) Should I go paranoid and pack pint of oil / coolant / zip ties / wire / electrical tape / mini tire pump / etc?
(5) What if I have to abandon my bike and hitch? Tow truck? RIP bike?
(6) What else should I be thinking about?
(7) Am I crazy?

Last edited by xorbe; 07-05-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-05-2016, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Garage
put a tire plug kit and get a lezyne pump to throw in your bag. they're small and awesome. Get a High Volume one NOT HP. Rain gear is always a must IMO. I don't think bringing oil and coolant is worth it for the amount of space. I would wear a camel pack and get these for $60, if you really want to pack the oil, coolant, and tools

I've been wanting to take a trip up to CO but I'm also waiting on this recall stuff because I don't have confidence in my clutch lasting
torrid_pace likes this.

2016 r3-blue
2014 super tenere es-gone
2012 street triple r-sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-05-2016, 09:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post

(1) Exactly how hard is the heat going to hit me and the motorcycle?
Oh and the heat will try and murder you. I would only ride at night if I were you

2016 r3-blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-05-2016, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Will Cortech side bags just "bolt on" or does it need some sort of bracket to stop it from swinging in towards the rear tire?? After finding the ironbutt website, I think I need more trunk space.

I used to be a moderately good half marathon runner that preferred running at 5pm (hot) instead of 5am (cold), so I am somewhat heat resistant, but I know how fast dehydration can hit. Modesto hit 105F+ last couple weeks, but I didn't ride 70 mph for 2 hours in it. As long as moving it seems okay, stopping is when I melt, as I don't dress lightly usually.

Last edited by xorbe; 07-05-2016 at 10:10 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-05-2016, 10:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Will Cortech side bags just "bolt on" or does it need some sort of bracket to stop it from swinging in towards the rear tire?? After finding the ironbutt website, I think I need more trunk space.

I used to be a moderately good half marathon runner that preferred running at 5pm (hot) instead of 5am (cold), so I am somewhat heat resistant, but I know how fast hydration can hit. Modesto hit 105F+ last couple weeks, but I didn't ride 70 mph for 2 hours in it.
I have these http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...FYSAaQodbH0M-A I bought mine last week for $59 The just jumped the price up I guess in the last couple days. They attach with straps you can watch the video on the site of them

Here is a top photo they wont go in the tire

2016 r3-blue

post #6 of 12 Old 07-05-2016, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Where waterwicking clothes to help pull out moisture and heat. Temperatures above 95F + offer no comfort at all. at highway speeds it'll still feel like 85-89F with wind chill. be hydrated!
Decon blue likes this.

Check out my YouTube channel, Subscribe today!

Build thread of my bike! Take a look!

post #7 of 12 Old 07-06-2016, 05:56 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
The wind chill calculator actually shows the perceived temp increasing with air temps above 100F. It says 105 feels like 112 at 70 mph.
Wear white. Cover every piece of skin. Ride at night. Carry water to soak your clothing whenever you get too hot.
A couple super fit 20 something hikers recently died in 120F heat.

post #8 of 12 Old 07-06-2016, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
This Australian "Apparent Temp" model shows 71F if humidity is 30% and you are sweating. I think they are both way off at 70 mph.

post #9 of 12 Old 07-06-2016, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:

I used to be a moderately good half marathon runner that preferred running at 5pm (hot) instead of 5am (cold), so I am somewhat heat resistant, but I know how fast dehydration can hit. Modesto hit 105F+ last couple weeks, but I didn't ride 70 mph for 2 hours in it. As long as moving it seems okay, stopping is when I melt, as I don't dress lightly usually.
Any softbags will have a tendency to swing in towards the rear tire under the tail. Additional bunnies across the top or some sort of bar under the tail pushing them apart will prevent this.

In terms of storage for an iron butt, I just did mine and easily fit everything into a tiny tailbag and smallish saddlebags. Rain gear, some water, my binder and small Tupperware container for documenting stops, and a few small tools. 3-6mm Allen keys, 8,10,12mm sockets, zip ties, a knife, a headlamp, and a few other tiny odds and ends. A tire plug kit would've been added if I had remembered to buy one

One thing I would add in your scenario is a small, blue tarp and two or three stakes. If you do break down, you can hang it from your bike and stake it into the sand to stay low and out of the sun on the shoulder of the highway. This should take up very little space and could be a lifesaver in desert heat.

As a runner, I'm sure you know this, but start hydrating a day or two ahead of the trip. Chugging down a bunch of water the day of isn't going to help much.

All that being said, I doubt you'll have any problems with the bikes. Between me and my father, we've easily put 100,000 miles on my r3, fz8, and his two fz1s in the last 5 years. Neither of us has had a single breakdown. These are incredibly reliable motors
xorbe and Decon blue like this.

Last edited by cxa0897; 07-06-2016 at 11:43 AM.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-07-2016, 09:34 PM

Garage

My tail bag that connects into my saddle bag came today. The saddle bags and tail bag combined were about $120 and more than enough room for a hammock and moto camping gear to travel with. just FYI if you were looking for storage

2016 r3-blue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page